Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Helmet Cam  (Read 5658 times)

Wildrat

Re: Helmet Cam
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2009, 08:31:47 AM »

I took mine back because of quality on a big screen.

The screen resolution of 640X480 should have told you it would not look good on a big screen, that is why I said good for web use. When I bought these cameras it was pretty much what most were using 3 years ago. Yes, there are better cameras now. If you want big screen quality you need to get a camera that will do that. For myself, I had no problem with the resolution as I view stuff on my monitor where it looks fine. One reason I got the thing was because of the screen size and the You Tube video of the guy in Germany on some kind of fast a$$ Yamaha doing in excess of 120 mile / hour on a German road passing cars as if they were parked, and the video looked great.
The guy wanted options for cameras, this was one, it's an inexpensive one, if he has money to spend then buy one of the 500 dollar cameras.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2009, 09:18:50 AM »

The screen resolution of 640X480 should have told you it would not look good on a big screen, that is why I said good for web use. When I bought these cameras it was pretty much what most were using 3 years ago. Yes, there are better cameras now. If you want big screen quality you need to get a camera that will do that. For myself, I had no problem with the resolution as I view stuff on my monitor where it looks fine. One reason I got the thing was because of the screen size and the You Tube video of the guy in Germany on some kind of fast a$$ Yamaha doing in excess of 120 mile / hour on a German road passing cars as if they were parked, and the video looked great.
The guy wanted options for cameras, this was one, it's an inexpensive one, if he has money to spend then buy one of the 500 dollar cameras.
Wildrat, How long a video do you get on the 2GB card @ 30 FPS? Will the camera accept a larger card etc?

BalDeagle

• FLHRSE3 Candy Cobalt with Pale Gold Leafing Graphics
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do it today, tomorrow may be too late......
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2009, 09:57:51 AM »

Some good information here this time guys. I'm looking to set the bike up with some of this gear on our next big trip so this is all useful.

:2vrolijk_21:

Nige
Don't leave it until tomorrow, do it today !

110 SERK FLHRSE3
Power Commander
Doherty PowerPacc + PowerVents + Mystfree
Vance & Hines Slip ons + V & H True Duals
Lots of other shiny bits!

Wildrat

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2009, 08:32:55 PM »

I cannot remember how much video you get, I think depending on other settings it was around 30 minutes, but don't hold me to that. The website may have more info. If I have not got back in a day, shoot me a knock in the head email. As far as the larger cards I have not tried one yet. I do have a 4gb card somewhere if the wife has not gotten it already.

SE-Randy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2009, 09:03:58 PM »

I saw this on TV the other night. He is vague on what camera he actually uses, but for less than $50 looks like it might be worth trying.
http://science.discovery.com/brink/kip-kay/spy-glasses/spy-glasses.html
Don't worry about life...you'll never get out of it alive!

Wildrat

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2009, 08:26:30 AM »

They have copied a plan from the Instructables website. The camera being used is one of the disposable video cameras. On Instructables they tell you how to hack the camera so you can use it. This actually might be a good idea because some of those disposables take good video. Gotta Go, Dentist today.

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2009, 08:37:33 PM »

Wildrat, I understand.  I wasn't putting it down.  I got mine as a gift from my wife who saw me looking at it in the store.  While it looked pretty neat, it was one of those "will I actually use it?" things, and I figured it might not get much use.  Wife has a habit of buying anything she sees me even looking at.  Gotta love her! :-*  But I still took it back.  :-[
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Wildrat

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2009, 08:45:15 AM »

It comes with a mount that goes on the crash bar. Sometimes I mount it there and forget about it. What's nice it is water proof down to 3 meters or something like that. It's not a camera that your going to use and let it go for a few hours, it has limitations. I also don't care for the multi-purpose button on top. My big fingers sometimes press two options at once and it's a toss up as to which function you get. I found using the eraser end of a no.2 pencil works well. Pretty much when you sit it up initially it stays there. There is also no way to preview what you are recording, but they do give you plenty of cables, so you can connect it to the connections on the front of the TV. They give you the straps you need to put it on your helmet also. Oregon-Scientific's support is pretty good also. I sent them an email and they got back to me fairly quickly but that was a few years ago, I think 2006.
Here are the specs:
640X480 30 or 15 frames/sec
320X240      "
160X120      "
Focusing 1.5 m to infinity
Movie format AVI
Memory- 32mb built-in and can use SD mem card up to 2Gb(not included)

The big SD cards were a little high back then so I do not know if it will use a 4Gb, but since you can get them for like 8 bucks now you can give it a try. My wife did get my 4Gb card, I will ask her to bring one home so I can try it in the camera. You will also want to invest in some good re-chargeable batteries also, as well as having some non-rechargeable available for those just in case incidents. I just called the wife about the 4 Gb cards. I should just drive to Comp USA who have been bought by Tiger Direct and get a couple of them, even if they are not compatible with that cam they are compatible with one of my digital cameras. Anyway, I'll let ya know something.
It also records sound if selected.
OK, with a 2Gb SD card @ 640X480 30 sec frame rate you get 60 minutes
                                  @ 640X480 15                "                96      "
                                  @ 320X240 30                "                114    "   
                                  @ 320X240 15                "                230    "   
                                  @ 160X120 30                "                356    "
                                  @ 160X120 15                "                794    "
If a 4Gb card will work, you will get much more,640X480 30 sec frame rate is perfect for the web. I really have no complaints about the camera considering the price and what it comes with.
I am going to check the Instructables web site about the disposable video cam hacking and the sunglasses. You could possibly build something pretty good if you are into that kind of stuff which I am.
If anyone has broken DVD burners let me know before you toss it in the garbage, there are a couple of parts I could use.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2009, 07:43:31 PM »

It comes with a mount that goes on the crash bar. Sometimes I mount it there and forget about it. What's nice it is water proof down to 3 meters or something like that. It's not a camera that your going to use and let it go for a few hours, it has limitations. I also don't care for the multi-purpose button on top. My big fingers sometimes press two options at once and it's a toss up as to which function you get. I found using the eraser end of a no.2 pencil works well. Pretty much when you sit it up initially it stays there. There is also no way to preview what you are recording, but they do give you plenty of cables, so you can connect it to the connections on the front of the TV. They give you the straps you need to put it on your helmet also. Oregon-Scientific's support is pretty good also. I sent them an email and they got back to me fairly quickly but that was a few years ago, I think 2006.
Here are the specs:
640X480 30 or 15 frames/sec
320X240      "
160X120      "
Focusing 1.5 m to infinity
Movie format AVI
Memory- 32mb built-in and can use SD mem card up to 2Gb(not included)

The big SD cards were a little high back then so I do not know if it will use a 4Gb, but since you can get them for like 8 bucks now you can give it a try. My wife did get my 4Gb card, I will ask her to bring one home so I can try it in the camera. You will also want to invest in some good re-chargeable batteries also, as well as having some non-rechargeable available for those just in case incidents. I just called the wife about the 4 Gb cards. I should just drive to Comp USA who have been bought by Tiger Direct and get a couple of them, even if they are not compatible with that cam they are compatible with one of my digital cameras. Anyway, I'll let ya know something.
It also records sound if selected.
OK, with a 2Gb SD card @ 640X480 30 sec frame rate you get 60 minutes
                                  @ 640X480 15                "                96      "
                                  @ 320X240 30                "                114    "   
                                  @ 320X240 15                "                230    "   
                                  @ 160X120 30                "                356    "
                                  @ 160X120 15                "                794    "
If a 4Gb card will work, you will get much more,640X480 30 sec frame rate is perfect for the web. I really have no complaints about the camera considering the price and what it comes with.
I am going to check the Instructables web site about the disposable video cam hacking and the sunglasses. You could possibly build something pretty good if you are into that kind of stuff which I am.
If anyone has broken DVD burners let me know before you toss it in the garbage, there are a couple of parts I could use.
Thanks, appreciate all the info!

nudels2u75

• nudels2u
  • Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4--SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLHTCUSE4--Traded-N-
    • CVO3: 2014 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2009, 03:49:32 PM »

Yes I do use one and I love it....I purchased it @ cycle Gear for a little under $200.00, then went down and purchased some additional film cards, and some rechargeable batteries.....I have mine mounted on the front windshield and it comes with several universal attachments to mount on helmet, front forks or wherever....I have shot movies and alsostills with sound.....It is called Hero gopro wide...here is the link

http://shop.helmetcameracentral.com/all-helmet-cameras/brand/gopro/
"I see the horizon and no destination in sight"

Wildrat

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 07:58:13 AM »

That Go Pro looks pretty good. It is 5mega pixel for stills but the video is 512X384. I would have thought looking at the specs it would have better video than that. It is a good all around camera though and it is waterproof to 100 feet which is good for your casual scuba divers, unless your nuts like me and go below 100 feet. I wish I could still dive, maybe one day. I also like the protection the case gives the camera from road debris, but I never had that issue with my camera.

Here is a link to a review of the camera I have at the same site as above for the Go Pro. I also noticed in the review that someone from Oregon Scientific said that 4Gb cards will work but could get stuck because they are thicker. I figure it this way, if you can get it in, you can get it out.

http://helmetcameracentral.com/2006/11/06/oregon-scientific-atc2k-atc-2000-helmet-camera/

Video of a model rocket launch with the ATC2K camera.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9038417544440632896&hl=en

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr-dbYj7sRE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ398OFHWZg&feature=related
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:45:24 AM by Wildrat »
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.