Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Author Topic: Little help with changing the fluids.  (Read 13315 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Little help with changing the fluids.
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »

it is not the drain plug that I am having problems with rather the plug in this pic the fill/check plug.  And if someone can tell me exactly how you can get the plug out without removing the cover it would
make my day! 

It just unscrews.  You need an appropriately sized allen tool.  But it just threads in.  That plug is also the transmission dipstick.  It does unscrew.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2009, 03:16:47 PM »

Furthering the thought; taking the side cover off as you seem to be describing wouldn't help with refilling the tranny anyway.  If you've discovered the drain plug underneath you've already got it drained.

Taking the side cover off would help with filling is the fluid would pour out the side of the trans before the case was at appropriate volume anyway.  And the exhaust will be in the way of the side cover.  If you were removing any cover to refill it'd be the top cover and not the side cover.  But assuming the fill plug is not just cross threaded or in some other way boogered up and no longer removeable (never saw that happen either) that plug does come out.

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2009, 03:49:36 PM »

Guys i know it unscrews. The problem is that the Allen will not fit with the cover on.  Just wondering if you guys have seen the way the cover sits on the deuce. I looked at a springer at the dealership and I could have goten to that fill plug fine.  The cover seems to block the Allen. Maybe a special tool is needed

thanks

SCREAMIN' EAGLE SOFTAIL DEUCE (FXSTDSE2)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »

2lane, the "cover" he's talking about is the accessory chrome interface cover, the one shown in the picture I attached.  I thought for sure there would be enough clearance to get an allen in there and remove the dipstick, but I guess from what HarleyRider 2004 is saying there really isn't enough clearance.  Sure seems strange to sell a cover that has to be removed every time you want to check the transmission oil.  Leave it to the MoCo to come up with it, however.

OK all you Softail guys with one of these covers on your bike, jump in here and help the man out.  Is there a way to loosen and remove the dipstick with the cover installed, and if not how should he go about removing the cover?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »

I just stood in the garage and looked at an 05 Softail, it's got the chrome cover on it, but you can still remove trans fill plug. HarleyRider, take a pic of what you have and send it to me, I'll help you out. feel free to add some dancing girls in the backround  :2vrolijk_21:
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2009, 05:44:02 PM »

2lane, the "cover" he's talking about is the accessory chrome interface cover, the one shown in the picture I attached.  I thought for sure there would be enough clearance to get an allen in there and remove the dipstick, but I guess from what HarleyRider 2004 is saying there really isn't enough clearance.  Sure seems strange to sell a cover that has to be removed every time you want to check the transmission oil.  Leave it to the MoCo to come up with it, however.

OK all you Softail guys with one of these covers on your bike, jump in here and help the man out.  Is there a way to loosen and remove the dipstick with the cover installed, and if not how should he go about removing the cover?

Jerry

Maybe all becoming a little clearer.  Been a long time since I had a Softail.  Last one, and for only a few months, was a 98 Heritage.  Almost certain it had the cover and know it got serviced while I had it. 

Who knows....

Definitely need pictures of this particular installation.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »

You will also need the proper gasket for whatever of the two covers that you remove from the primary in order to add the new fluid.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2009, 08:18:25 PM »

I just stood in the garage and looked at an 05 Softail, it's got the chrome cover on it, but you can still remove trans fill plug. HarleyRider, take a pic of what you have and send it to me, I'll help you out. feel free to add some dancing girls in the backround  :2vrolijk_21:

Larry will work on getting the girls in the background for you. :)

As far as the pic it is just like the one posted. I have tried and I can get the hex head in because of the cover. So when I went to the dealership they told me I had to remove the cover. I know there is no way the trans cover is coming off without the pipe coming off so I must be doing something wrong.

I have the correct size hex to fit the trans fill plug but due to the cover can not get the damn thing in there.  How can you un screw yours and what type of Allen are you using a long one or a short one?

Hey I really appreciate all of everyones help. I didn't think that you should have to take off the trans cover but when 3 people at ocean city md Harley told me I needed to I tried it.

Thanks

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2009, 10:14:24 PM »

OK. Put the trans cover back and took pic.     http://us.m.yahoo.com/p/mail/attachmentD?fid=Inbox&mid=1_7797_ABImvs4AATFWSmPUoQ1h53%2FL9RM&pid=2&fal=1&2=V&tsrc=_mail

So see what I am saying can't fit the Allen in there and I have a socket won't fit.  Even if it does trans cover still looks like it would stop it from coming out?  Anybody have any ideas?

Sorry about pic using my phone
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 10:37:52 PM by HarleyRider2004 »

REGGAB

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2009, 11:16:10 PM »

Use a Dremel with a cutting wheel to modify a 3/8" hex key like this.

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2009, 02:11:39 AM »

Now there is an idea!  That would work as long as the plug would unscrew with the cover on.

Thanks for the tip!

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2009, 07:54:48 AM »

ok, went to look at the pic and I need to have a yahoo acct. no thanks, you're making this harder than it needs to be. too bad you dont live closer, I'm running a special on oil changes.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2009, 08:28:20 AM »

ok, went to look at the pic and I need to have a yahoo acct. no thanks, you're making this harder than it needs to be. too bad you dont live closer, I'm running a special on oil changes.

Larry will post pic later today.  Was using my iPhone so I can't upload the pic to this site from it.
Sorry.

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2009, 11:16:18 AM »

Here are new pics.  Larry wish you lived closer too!  I am not trying to make this more diffucult than it has to be and the only reason that I tried to remove the trans cover is because I was told by the Harley dealer that I needed too. 

HML...I think that just might work...I may stop by a parts place to see if they have a special tool like that.  I do not have anything to cut the allen at home...

Thanks for everyones help.  By the way the fluids got here today from Zippers!  :2vrolijk_21:

HarleyRider2004

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 CVO Deuce
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2009, 11:16:45 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 24 queries.