Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: 09 ultra running hot...exhaust question  (Read 4305 times)

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 09 ultra running hot...exhaust question
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 08:52:06 AM »

I wish i was joking! Tomorrow will be 2 weeks and no resolution, they have had a HD rep look at the bike and it is now torn down. I am very close to telling them dump the cat, install a race tuner and dyno it. Everything i read it is related to the cat although the dealer and the HD rep rode the bike and agreed that there is an issue and it is running very hot. I really feel HD should pay to replace/eliminate the cat, after $35k on a purchase it shouldnt be the consumer paying to make it work properly.

Welcome to Harley World, Im guessing that if you totaled the amount spent by forum members to eliminate this very problem the expenditure would be enormous.

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 08:58:28 AM »

I am not feeling welcome!

I went through this with my 06 street glide and ended up putting new pipes and tuning it. After that the bike ran great, i put over 30k miles on it and then bought this.....I really find it hard to believe that nobody from the moco see's this problem...or do they and just look at as though it is up to us to make it run properly?

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 09:19:05 AM »

I am not feeling welcome!

I went through this with my 06 street glide and ended up putting new pipes and tuning it. After that the bike ran great, i put over 30k miles on it and then bought this.....I really find it hard to believe that nobody from the moco see's this problem...or do they and just look at as though it is up to us to make it run properly?

HD certainly has the resources to make a bike run perfectly, They are saddled with restrictive guidelines from the EPA. The end result is the Lean, Hot, ill Running product that you and I have purchased. In effect it is up to you, HD would be fined millions of Dollars for violating emissions Standards.

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 09:22:27 AM »

and we are just caught in a big ugly loop!
I do understand the EPA laws they are held within. What did you do to resolve your heat/poor running bike?

So, i know this and you know this, i am almost certain HD knows this. Why is my bike all apart and sitting at a dealer for 2 weeks? I do trust the dealer somewhat and have dealt with them in the past. They told me yesterday they were waiting for HD to tell them what next.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 09:24:09 AM by 1jeep »

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 10:02:04 AM »

Mainly because the Local shop does not have a clue and are hoping that the Milwaukee tech that is also clueless can assist them,  I have found out after dozens of bikes and hundreds of thousands of miles that although it says on paper that you have a warranty, we buy these bikes pretty much as is, if you get a good one great, a bad one good luck.

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 10:06:36 AM »

all i can do is laugh!! Apparently this time i got a bad one.

I do think the dealer is trying and is a fairly reputable dealer with many years of experience. I also understand that they only sold me the bike and will need to submit a claim to hd for the repair. So if HD doesnt agree with what they do where does that leave them in getting paid for the warranty work?

At this point i just cross my fingers and hope for a fix soon. ALthough i know when i brought it to them i felt as though this was all due to running too hot which could be from being too lean.

Dartman...i am not doubing what you say. Do you have an 09? if so what did you do to resolve this?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 10:19:38 AM by 1jeep »

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »

1jeep

HD will not be able to fix it because they can not.  EPA restrictions.  It is that simple.

The fix is simple too.

It is up to you to do it even as frustrating as that is.

Remove the cat...new head pipe or cut it out.  Look at the pictures on this site, when you see the cat you will understand why the heat is there...it can not escape.

We have big air cooled motors with closed loop fuel injection.  Closed loop fuel injection is a great when used on a water cooled motor that runs at optimum temp regardless of OAT, speed, load, etc.

We need air, fuel, and oil, to cool our motors.  You have an oil cooler so you are pretty much done there.
More air flow will result in a more open exhaust.
More fuel will help via a tuner.
I suggested Fulsac because he is in AZ (HOT) and has done all the work for you.  I did all the above but used an HD SERT on my 09 before Fulsac had all this available.  If you do it like I did you are crossing your fingers you get someone who knows what they are doing with the tuner and the dyno.

The answer is simple but it is going to cost a little.  I figure the money I saved by useing fulsac cores vs. the $500-$800 spent for slip-ons pays for the tuner.

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 10:45:42 AM »

i got ya!

I do howver need to wait and see what they come back with they have the bike and it is apart. I am leavign for vacation, when i come back next week i will deal with it. At which time i most likely will be calling fulsac.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 10:57:21 AM »

i got ya!

I do howver need to wait and see what they come back with they have the bike and it is apart. I am leavign for vacation, when i come back next week i will deal with it. At which time i most likely will be calling fulsac.

Enjoy your vacation.
Don't hold you breath while waiting for Harley to fix your bike. You won't make it.

Someone say hot in Havasu? Look! We are on a cooling trend!

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USAZ0116.html

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 11:04:16 AM »

Lol...i stopped holding my breathe 2 days after i dropped it off at the dealer.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 11:06:05 AM »

Mine really ran hot when I got it.  After changing out the pipes and dyno, etc. my bike DOES NOT get too hot.  I am amazed that I have had no problems with heat from this bike.  I think you just need to make the changes like the rest of us have.  Good luck.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 11:37:35 AM »

all i can do is laugh!! Apparently this time i got a bad one.

I do think the dealer is trying and is a fairly reputable dealer with many years of experience. I also understand that they only sold me the bike and will need to submit a claim to hd for the repair. So if HD doesnt agree with what they do where does that leave them in getting paid for the warranty work?

At this point i just cross my fingers and hope for a fix soon. ALthough i know when i brought it to them i felt as though this was all due to running too hot which could be from being too lean.

Dartman...i am not doubing what you say. Do you have an 09? if so what did you do to resolve this?

Hi yes I have an 09 and I did just what the other are offering for a solution, Eliminate Cat or Most of it, Tuner, and exhaust.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 12:14:14 PM »

>:( >:( >:(

Having gone through the 100 on my 07 SE issue and having HD upgrade the engine to a 09 version, I would demand that they (HD) fix it.  There are way to many 09 110's unmodified that do not run "too hot".  And if the dealer and HD agree that it is too hot, have them fix this heat issue and then spend your money to get it running right with more power, better gas mileage and lower heat issues.  One of my best riding partners has an 09 unmodified and even in south Texas where it has been the hottest summer on record (39 days over 100  already) his bike runs hotter than mine but definitely tolerable.

The Cat is damned hot and I removed it ASAP.  But HD knows that.  I understand the desire to ride but I would exhaust all avenues before I would change it.  At worst, have HD replace the engine, and exhaust.  That's what they did on my 07 and it worked.

:coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 01:08:06 PM »

HD and my dealer just called me, they are replacing the engine. Once it is complete and running normal i will then change the cat out and put in a tts or racetuner.

First they are going to fix the major problem before i spend any money.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 01:51:55 PM »

HD and my dealer just called me, they are replacing the engine. Once it is complete and running normal i will then change the cat out and put in a tts or racetuner.

First they are going to fix the major problem before i spend any money.

The last page of the dealers "Trouble shooting handbook".

"When all else fails, Replace engine".

Then what?

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 20 queries.