Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Author Topic: BUB Stealth Mufflers  (Read 30812 times)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: BUB Stealth Mufflers
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2009, 07:01:53 PM »

No problem, just trying to help you out.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #61 on: September 02, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »

I'm lurking out here. Waiting to see how this turns out before I order. If I do, I want to get the "improved" mufflers. How is it going zeb?
RETIRED! :fireman:

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2009, 07:54:48 PM »

My replacement mufflers should be here Friday.  I am then leaving Sept. 12th for a week long trip (1,800+ miles) to Colorado.  When I get back I'm assuming that I will have an opinion on whether they fixed the problem.

bob2002 also has a replacement set on the way.  He's actually thinking about selling his.

Another side issue has also come up with the mufflers.  I installed them in the "slash up" position and the inside of the end caps has started to discolor.  bob 2002 has seen the same thing.  I've asked BUB about the discoloration and they claim they shouldn't do it and that it's probably just a film from the combustion.  But I've cleaned them with everything I have and the discoloration is still there.  Think I'll install the new ones "slash down" so it's not so noticable.  I wonder if anyone with the standard BUB 7's has had this problem??? 

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2009, 08:47:46 PM »

Looking forward to your 1800 mile review, Zeb.

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2009, 12:07:02 AM »

Looking forward to your 1800 mile review, Zeb.

Me too - Thanks for all the info.
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2009, 05:48:12 PM »

I wonder if anyone with the standard BUB 7's has had this problem??? 

Well, now I have something you're talking about. Yes my 7's are discolored. I've done the mild soap and water that bub talks about to clean them, but that doesn't work so well. I've since used brake cleaner to remove all residue and there is a discoloration. I put a coat of wax on after, but you still definitely see it. I'd say just leave it and the exhaust will even them out with carbon and whatnot, but if you don't regularly clean them they start to bubble up. Now that mine are I just leave em be and only clean the outside. Too expensive to replace for that. When the outside starts flakin, I'll look into havin them replated or have a friend powdercoat them black. Just sucks that you spend so much and after a lil over a year the chrome pops up. Same thing is happenin to HD parts on the bike tho too.  :-\

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2009, 05:31:55 PM »

My replacement mufflers should be here Friday.  I am then leaving Sept. 12th for a week long trip (1,800+ miles) to Colorado.  When I get back I'm assuming that I will have an opinion on whether they fixed the problem.

bob2002 also has a replacement set on the way.  He's actually thinking about selling his.

Another side issue has also come up with the mufflers.  I installed them in the "slash up" position and the inside of the end caps has started to discolor.  bob 2002 has seen the same thing.  I've asked BUB about the discoloration and they claim they shouldn't do it and that it's probably just a film from the combustion.  But I've cleaned them with everything I have and the discoloration is still there.  Think I'll install the new ones "slash down" so it's not so noticable.  I wonder if anyone with the standard BUB 7's has had this problem??? 

Lookin forward to your reply Zeb.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bob2002

• Retired
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2009, 07:37:41 PM »

I have installed mine in the slash down position because I like the look so much better. I have only put 60 miles on this new set and was able to polish out the residue this time,the jury is still out on me keeping or selling them. 8) 8)
2012 Ultra Limited,V&H VO2 Intake,Wood 222 Cams,Cobra Power Port Header,CVO Mufflers,TTS Tuner
AMSOIL DEALER SINCE 1985

bob2002

• Retired
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2009, 08:32:24 AM »

Mufflers are now for sale.
2012 Ultra Limited,V&H VO2 Intake,Wood 222 Cams,Cobra Power Port Header,CVO Mufflers,TTS Tuner
AMSOIL DEALER SINCE 1985

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2009, 09:15:04 AM »

Hi Guys,

I just got back from my Colorado trip yesterday and we logged nearly 2,000 miles.  I drove in all types of conditions.  From sunny and mid 80's to rain and hail and temps in the 30's.  From 1,300 feet above sea level here at home to over 12,000 feet going over Independence Pass.  Mountain curves where speeds were down to 10 mph to the interstate where we ran 80-85.  I have to give the BUB 7 Stealths a big thumbs up. :2vrolijk_21:  The Stealths did not both me at all.  Oh yes, there is a hum at cruising speeds but nothing like the what bothered be at highway speeds when I had the V&H Monsters.  The Stealths have a nice low rumble with no raspiness or bark when you get on the throttle.  I'm back to my original opinion that these are the best alternative to stock mufflers.  Quieter than the Fullsac 1.75".  If these are too loud I think you better to stick to the stockers.  (Sorry BOB!)  But then, as we all know, sound is very subjective.  We all hear differently and I have hearing loss in some frequencies.  But of approx. a dozen mufflers I've had on two different 103" bikes I like these the best.  I need to get the bike cleaned up as it's a mess so I can see if there is any discoloring of the end caps.

Hope this helps some of you guys out.  But remember, it is just my individual opinion.

Zeb

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2009, 09:50:23 AM »

Hi Guys,

I just got back from my Colorado trip yesterday and we logged nearly 2,000 miles.  I drove in all types of conditions.  From sunny and mid 80's to rain and hail and temps in the 30's.  From 1,300 feet above sea level here at home to over 12,000 feet going over Independence Pass.  Mountain curves where speeds were down to 10 mph to the interstate where we ran 80-85.  I have to give the BUB 7 Stealths a big thumbs up. :2vrolijk_21:  The Stealths did not both me at all.  Oh yes, there is a hum at cruising speeds but nothing like the what bothered be at highway speeds when I had the V&H Monsters.  The Stealths have a nice low rumble with no raspiness or bark when you get on the throttle.  I'm back to my original opinion that these are the best alternative to stock mufflers.  Quieter than the Fullsac 1.75".  If these are too loud I think you better to stick to the stockers.  (Sorry BOB!)  But then, as we all know, sound is very subjective.  We all hear differently and I have hearing loss in some frequencies.  But of approx. a dozen mufflers I've had on two different 103" bikes I like these the best.  I need to get the bike cleaned up as it's a mess so I can see if there is any discoloring of the end caps.

Hope this helps some of you guys out. But remember, it is just my individual opinion.
Zeb

But your opinion is important.............to you! :huepfenlol2:

No, seriously Zeb........I think mine and your goals on exhaust are the same.  And while I've been the experiment in other areas of the bike (my friends were teasing me about opening up a seat shop before I finally tried a Corbin and quit buying after that), I've let you be the experiment with the "quiet" exhaust.  Bub sent me another email a few days ago saying that the new exhaust for the 10s will be out late Oct.  I'm waiting for the 10 Stealth exhaust.

By the way, thanks a bunch for the update.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

bob2002

• Retired
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2009, 11:38:32 AM »

Zeb,
Glad you had a good trip and your happy with the mufflers.I like the way they sound now more then before since I had the Andrews 21 cams and the V&H Power Duals installed. The wife is okay with them but rather have the SE touring mufflers so you know where that leaves me.
AMSOIL DEALER SINCE 1985

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2009, 02:47:17 PM »

I got the bike cleaned up yesterday after my trip and see very little discoloration of the end caps.  I have them installed "slash down" and would recommend this position to anyone buying these mufflers.  With the "slash up" it's just harder to keep the inside of the end cap clean.

By the way, my Fullsac 1.75" are for sale again now that I've decided to keep the Stealths.

catahoula58

• Senior CVO Member
  • "There are no LifeGuards in the Gene Pool"
    • TX

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
    • CVO2: 2004 Heritage Softail (NON CVO)
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2009, 07:17:59 PM »

PM Sent

RBFB

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2009, 09:24:29 PM »

Well after talking with Zeb I went ahead and bought a set of the Stealths. I got them today and immediately put them on.

My impressions so far are:

They are a lot quieter than my monster ovals that I have had on for over 6000 miles.

They have a low sound to them similar to the monsters, but on the freeway they are a lot more enjoyable for me.

I can't tell any loss of performance vs. the monsters. I am running  the PCV with auto tune module with a fuel moto base map.

The Monsters are probably a meaner or manlier sound, but I guess I am tired of them.

Overall they seem to be exactly what I was looking for, not a stock sound, but a nice deep sound and no drone when going 70 mph plus. That was my biggest reason I wanted something quieter. Up to 70 or so the monsters were ok, but when you are in the throttle they seem to bother me on longer 150 mile plus rides.

I haven't rode with them too much, but enought to know they are quieter in every aspect.

I am running a stock 110" with V and H  true duals.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 21 queries.