Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Freedom cycles dynosheets: lean AFR at WOT  (Read 5774 times)

HDMonsterTorque

Re: Freedom cycles dynosheets: lean AFR at WOT
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2005, 01:23:20 PM »

Can be. Depending on the weather the correctionfactor can be (close to) 1.

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2005, 01:52:16 PM »

The motor is just too lean eveywhere .  you notice at the peak torque area of the curve it's running at 15.0:1 ..thats from 3300-4000 rpm..and doesnt go to 14.0 till 5000.
Sorry, but I'm not ridiing it at WOT at 15.0:1...the a/f ratio on that entire pull should not go leaner than 13.8 anywhere..and should gradually richen to between 13.0-13.6:1
And I thought the canned SERT maps were lean !!
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2005, 02:10:46 PM »

The motor is just too lean eveywhere .  you notice at the peak torque area of the curve it's running at 15.0:1 ..thats from 3300-4000 rpm..and doesnt go to 14.0 till 5000.
Sorry, but I'm not ridiing it at [highlight]WOT[/highlight] at 15.0:1...the a/f ratio on that entire pull should not go leaner than 13.8 anywhere..and should gradually richen to between 13.0-13.6:1
And I thought the canned SERT maps were lean !!

Still learning all the techy stuff

What is WOT?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2005, 02:22:28 PM »

Still learning all the techy stuff

What is WOT?

Wide Open Throttle        Same as WFO  (Wide F'ing Open)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 02:31:30 PM »

Wide Open Throttle        Same as WFO  (Wide F'ing Open)

grc,

Thanks I thought that was what it meant but wasn't 100% sure.

That solves my issue with AFR being High as I don't ride WOT
My scooter was bought for cruising down the highway at 10 to 20 mph over the speed limit
With the ponies and torque I have it doesn't require WOT

If my logic/theory is way off, please explain

jeffj

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2005, 02:48:37 PM »

My scooter was bought for cruising down the highway at 10 to 20 mph over the speed limit

jeffj

See you guys..........I'm not the only one! [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2005, 03:18:32 PM »

If my logic/theory is way off, please explain

jeffj

Never suddenly twist the wick hard to get around that truck in a hurry?

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 03:54:07 PM »

Never suddenly twist the wick hard to get around that truck in a hurry?

LOL, well yeah but not for sustain periods of time

Guess what I am trying to say is I am not a Dyno, Drag or a Road Racer
My scooter is to get me from point A to point B in a quick/enjoyable safe time.

To be quite honest I very seldom ever take the scooter past 100 mph and if I do it's not sustained for long. When I am riding that Fast the thoughts of The 4th of July 2003 Motorcycle accident flashes back in my head and I get the scooter back down to 80 mph or so.

I do realize there are members at our board that do the WOT and they have issues/concerns and I can appreciate that but with my riding style I don't think I will seize my motor up this weekend when I am running 80 mph @ 3,200 rpms down the I5 in California

syclone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2005, 04:28:01 PM »

LOL, well yeah but not for sustain periods of time

Guess what I am trying to say is I am not a Dyno, Drag or a Road Racer
My scooter is to get me from point A to point B in a quick/enjoyable safe time.

To be quite honest I very seldom ever take the scooter past 100 mph and if I do it's not sustained for long. When I am riding that Fast the thoughts of The 4th of July 2003 Motorcycle accident flashes back in my head and I get the scooter back down to 80 mph or so.

I do realize there are members at our board that do the WOT and they have issues/concerns and I can appreciate that but with my riding style I don't think I will seize my motor up this weekend when I am running 80 mph @ 3,200 rpms down the I5 in California
So you take off from a light....twist the throttle wide open in first..but shift at 3500...wide open and short shift again at only 3500...shift to third .easy accel..shift to fourth and cruise at 45 mph.  Now I know you must do that quite often.....Well it's still WAY too lean ANY time it's at full throttle...reguardless of the speed in MPH or the RPM range.

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 09:33:43 AM »

jeffj,

While you may not run at WOT very much (neither do I), the air/fuel ratio is still important.  What would be more beneficial to many of us would be a chart showing the A/F at various throttle positions and load levels.  An excessively lean mixture, like the stock setup from H-D, can and will cause detonation and overheating.  If its excessively lean at WOT, you can cause some major damage to pistons and valves.  The stoichiometric (theoretically perfect) A/F is approximately 14.7:1 at sea level, but in the real world you need something a little richer than that (14.0 - 14.5) due to inefficiencies in the combustion process.  At WOT you will normally see the A/F drop to 13.2 - 13.8.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HDMonsterTorque

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 01:38:05 PM »

Jeffj,

"That solves my issue with AFR being High as I don't ride WOT"
Who says so? Maybe your cruising AFR is even leaner .....
That's the beauty of EFI. You can change the amount of fuel supplied in MANY circumstances.
Fuel is supplied by looking at TP (Throttle position), MAP (Load) and RPM.

An AFR of 12:1 at WOT doesn't tell you anything at cruise. The stock 1450 map for example seems to be quite ok at WOT but way too lean at cruise.
The only way to tell is by putting the bike at a dyno with load retarder controlled drum. This way every TP and RPM position can be monitored and changed.

HDMonsterTorque

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 01:40:21 PM »

These  screen prints give you an idea of the number of cells that can be / need to be changed.
Ve = volumetric efficiency.

syclone

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2005, 03:31:25 PM »

An excellent post HDMonsterTorque. I see those damn tables in my dreams sometimes....thats only when the voices stop though and let me fall asleep !

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2005, 07:39:40 PM »

I have a contact at the MoCo that I consult from time to time and he's been helpful to me and this site, in the early days.  I wrote and asked him a question about dyno tuning (don't remember now exactly what the question was) but he passed it along to the man at HD that he thought had the most knowledge and experience with the 103" motor and tuning and here is that man's response (as always, my source will remain namless):

I'm not sure exactly what they did.    I can tell you that my friend at HD sent my dyno sheet to the person that he thought to be the most knowledgable person at the Motor Company, regarding the 103" and this was his response to my first dyno:

"the torque being up high in rpm is mainly a result of the CVO cam.....the cam is actually a high rpm cam....it is good for about 7000 rpm peak HP....with the right induction module/carb.

As far as making it pull a little better on the bottom end....I would try rolling some timing in....as you know when we cal we have to do it for worst case.....hot, high comp, etc. ....his engine may be able to handle a little more...... but remember if he takes it to Az. he may need to be careful.....hot with bad fuel......ion sensor should correct for this.....but it is a picky beast.
[highlight]
As a side note.....it looks like the AFR is flat at 13.5:1......this is recommended in the manuel to ease tunning....but he may pick up a little at WOT with a slightly richer (12.8) AFR.....and I hope the cruise range was returned to 14.5 or so......I am afraid some technicians have tuned the VE values to achieve the 13.5:1 every where and then leave it.....AFR table should be returned to something similar to what was in the base cal and then tweaked for power after the VE's are returned...." [/highlight]

I took this email with me, when I took the bike back for the re-tune.  Other than that, don't really know what they did and they seem to want to keep the details close to the chest.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2005, 02:49:59 AM »

JC is right on in his thread, here's what I got from a tuner-head up the road a piece at RC cycles:

"We typically use  a Lambda of 0.85 (Air-Fuel ratio of 12.5) for full throttle sustained power, 0.88 (air-fuel ratio of 13:1) for acceleration, and 0.96 (air-fuel ratio of 14:1) for cruise, with graduations between these points."

Seems to me like some tuners are just "set it and forget it" types and either don't fully understand or just want to get the scooter out the door and go home.
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 20 queries.