Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 09 stock exhaust????  (Read 1296 times)

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
09 stock exhaust????
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:27:59 PM »

i was wondering about the new stock exhaust on the 09 ultras. are they actually a 2-1  and i was wondering are they really that bad?  it seems to me that  they and a decent slip on (i used reinharts) should be a really good combo if a  auto tuner was set up right with them. now i know they're no fatcat setup,  as i had on my 07 ultra   but  they really should be pretty good,  any opinions?????????

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: 09 stock exhaust????
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 03:06:02 PM »

Stock exhaust on a 96" 2009 Ultra is actually a 2:1:2 design, however due to the restricted rear crossover pipe behind the transmission more volume passes through the 2:1 route. The exhaust is actually quite good with a Fullsac baffle change. CA bikes have a cat in the header like the 110" CVO touring models which significantly reduces flow. Again an easy fix discussed in many other threads here.
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 03:33:53 PM »

u are right it really is a 2-1-2  system ,  and  many  performance shops  use a automotive freeze plug in the cross over and make a 2-1  header from this set up because  it joins before the cross over making a really efficent 2-1 pereformance pipe  cheap.  courtsey  of the factory

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 06:19:45 PM »

What would be the advantage of a 2:1 pipe vs 2:1:2 pipe?  I would think you would get better flow with the later.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 01:41:12 PM »

u are right it really is a 2-1-2  system ,  and  many  performance shops  use a automotive freeze plug in the cross over and make a 2-1  header from this set up because  it joins before the cross over making a really efficent 2-1 pereformance pipe  cheap.  courtsey  of the factory

Your saying there are "many performace shops" out there putting a freeze plug in the cross over? This makes it really efficent?
Kinda like the "tornado"?

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »

ahh yes they do steve  it just block off the cross over and they tune it like a 2-1  header,  ive seen it and it works pretty good,  sounds cheap  but it works

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 10:45:10 PM »

ahh yes they do steve  it just block off the cross over and they tune it like a 2-1  header,  ive seen it and it works pretty good,  sounds cheap  but it works

Looking at the exhaust on the 2010 Street Glide and Road Glide Custom, that's how the MoCo made their 2-1 header pipe.

JW

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 07:22:50 AM »

this modification is just food for thought,  yes ive had  d&d  2-1  pipes  but!  many municipalties  are going to stock only pipes and mufflers because of noise  so this might be a way to have the stock sound and look with some better performance,  stealth power with  stock apperance,  hmmmmmm  its coming every where  eventually

jfh

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 08:23:53 AM »

I have seen something similar done on pre-2009 head pipes. In that instance a plug was inserted in the rear head pipe at the "Y" to force all flow to the right side pipe and muffler.  It was effective due to the extremely poor flow characteristics of the "Y" pipe design. IMHO the new design would not benefit in the same way since it already flows quite well to a single collector. Blocking the rear cross-under pipe might produce a bit more back pressure, but I would imagine performance improvements, if any, would be minimal at best.

Perhaps Steve at Fullsac could find the time to test the theory in his never ending R&D to provide us a better exhaust option. :2vrolijk_21:
Hammer - CVO Member #641

2009 FLTRSE3: Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm TB, Dewey's Pro-Street porting, SE cam plate, Zipper's tapered pushrods, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, Twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Danny Gray Big Seat

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 02:23:15 PM »

Yes  this was done quite often on pre o8  harleys  and it was done by zippers perfromance  a lot. and they were getting over 105 hp in and 108  trp easily in their 95 " kits  back in 99,  ive seen a few of these engines,  i just figured the 09  and cvo have a better design (no  y at rear cylinder) so im sure it would be  pertty good set up. :nixweiss:

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 02:28:43 PM »

guess this horse  is dead :jack:

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »

I have seen something similar done on pre-2009 head pipes. In that instance a plug was inserted in the rear head pipe at the "Y" to force all flow to the right side pipe and muffler.  It was effective due to the extremely poor flow characteristics of the "Y" pipe design. IMHO the new design would not benefit in the same way since it already flows quite well to a single collector. Blocking the rear cross-under pipe might produce a bit more back pressure, but I would imagine performance improvements, if any, would be minimal at best.

Perhaps Steve at Fullsac could find the time to test the theory in his never ending R&D to provide us a better exhaust option. :2vrolijk_21:

I tested this one years ago. The pre 09 Y pipe is and functions as very low performance 2 into 1 with a ghost pipe. Yes, Harley had the first ghost pipe. Plugging off the left side made zero gain or loss on the dyno. It does function just as Harley designed it to, and will produce good torque numbers with stock heads and mild cams, making it part of a good touring combo. With heads and cams capable of producing over 1 HP per cube, it will quickly become a horsepower and RPM cork with only a single 1.75 exit. At that point, a properly designed 2 into 1 (as shown below) or even true duals will show big gains over the early 80s Y pipe. Harley definitely got some milage out of the old Y pipe with the ghost pipe design.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:45:07 PM by Fullsac Perf »

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 06:07:12 PM »

Steve, have you had any dealings with BoomCans from Milwaukeebagger
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 06:43:54 PM »

Steve, have you had any dealings with BoomCans from Milwaukeebagger

Boomcans? Can't say I have.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 07:10:30 AM »

they look real good on the SERG but don't know about how the perform. my 2" Fullsacs are starting to sound sweeter, but would like the hear the 2.25"
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.