Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SYN3  (Read 3318 times)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
SYN3
« on: August 14, 2009, 07:39:56 AM »

I know none of use use this stuff in our bikes but I'd like some feedback on it. HD now claims it is a Full Synthetic. bottle doesn't say Blend either. while talking with customers, I'd like to have more ammunition.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

admccrea

Re: SYN3
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 07:48:07 AM »

I just switched from Syn3 to AMS oil and the topend of my motor is much quieter.  I dont think i will go back.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 08:11:23 AM »

It is a full synthetic.  In one test - the results are posted on here somewhere - Syn3 ranked middle of the pack for wear resistance.  It's not bad, there are just better ones and some people report less engine noise after they switched.  I didn't, but did notice the transmission was better shifting.   Remember that Harley for years swore you should not use synthetic oil in their bikes (because they didn't have one to sell you).  Now that they do they all but swear you should use only theirs, but nothing changed in the engines that would make synthetic any more applicable.   As for ammunition with customers, it's like with most things; if the viscosity and rating are okay they are likely good enough, so find one that you like.  The leaders seem to be Amsoil and Mobil 1 for the engine.  For the driveline Redline seems to be better than motor oil.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 02:34:27 PM »

Citgo is still making HD motor oil products.
This is what I have run is all my bikes with no problems. 
http://www.bradpennracing.com/Products/SAE20W50.html
Good O American made oil. I use the racing oil not there motorcycle oil.
If you look at the specs, the 20w50 racing oil has a higher HTHS.
The HTHS of the 20w50 racing oil is 6.2, which is the highest HTHS vis of any 20w50 I've ever seen.
It even bests Amsoil's 20w50 motor cycle oil which has a HTHS of 6.02. The HTHS for the Penn Grade 1 20w50 MC oil is 5.7.
HTHS = High-Temperature High-Shear
Low HTLS would give better efficiency or MPG. High HTLS gives more durability.
You can email them and ask who sells it near you.
Or you can get it on line here www.theoilwarehouse.com
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »

thanks for that info, would have a hard time selling a quart of oil for 36+
penns site says it's a blend

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »

That is $36.66 for 12 quarts of oil. Yes it is a blend. I have been very happy with it for years.
Some just cost more than others. That does not mean they protect any better.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 06:56:36 PM »

I use Motor Factory, or HD 20-50 DINO oil! Change every 2K max! But if you don't get the heat outta them motors, you NEED synthetic!!! No need for that Syncrap in a REAL, properly running A/C V-Twin engine! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 01:12:57 AM »

Wouldn't a "full synthetic" oil be totally manmade.  I don't know of any of the common oil that is not made with petroleum base stock.  According to my Lucas guy, the syn oil has a synthetic molecule added to the base/so how can it be "full synthetic".   HUHHHH

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 07:59:21 AM »

this is good stuff, keep it coming

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 10:03:52 AM »

"100% Synthetic Motor Oil" may not really be "100% Synthetic Motor Oil", but it is perfectly OK to say that it is 100% Synthetic Motor Oil, because the Base Stock is 100% Synthetic. A Synthetic Motor Oil contains as much as 20% of Petroleum, because the Petroleum is not the Base Oil but the Carrier Oil for the Additives.
Oil companies spent millions of $ and many years of lawsuits on the term "Synthetic".
What finally evolved was that the label term "Synthetic" is a marketing term, and therefore it is up to the "marketer" of the oil, to define what "synthetic" is.
Most people do not understand that.
The only real way to find out how a oil is working in any engine is by taking some of your used oil and having a oil analysis done. Check the web or goggle "tribologist" There a plenty of labs that will test your oil some for as little as $20.00

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 10:12:04 AM »

"100% Synthetic Motor Oil" may not really be "100% Synthetic Motor Oil", but it is perfectly OK to say that it is 100% Synthetic Motor Oil, because the Base Stock is 100% Synthetic. A Synthetic Motor Oil contains as much as 20% of Petroleum, because the Petroleum is not the Base Oil but the Carrier Oil for the Additives.
Oil companies spent millions of $ and many years of lawsuits on the term "Synthetic".
What finally evolved was that the label term "Synthetic" is a marketing term, and therefore it is up to the "marketer" of the oil, to define what "synthetic" is.
Most people do not understand that.
The only real way to find out how a oil is working in any engine is by taking some of your used oil and having a oil analysis done. Check the web or goggle "tribologist" There a plenty of labs that will test your oil some for as little as $20.00

Holy crap! Everything you ever wanted to know about oil but were afraid to ask! :o :nixweiss: ;D ;)

STLE

Society of Tribologists & Lubrication Engineers

Motor Oil Myths and Facts

Bob Is The Oil Guy

Polaris Laboratories-Oil Testing and Analysis

Interpreting Heavy-duty Motor Oil Analysis Reports

"The company you use should be able to help you interpret the results you get from your analysis. There are various tests that tell you different things:

* Trace metals - indicates how an engine is internally wearing. Most helpful when repeated test are done.
    * Particulate - indicates how well the oil filter is performing
    * Fuel & glycol - can indicate a leaking head gasket or worn rings
    * TBN (Total Base Number) - indicates how well the additive package is holding up. Helps determine if the motor oil is being used for too long, or could be used longer.
    * Viscosity - indicates how well the oil is holding up. Helps determine if the motor oil is being used for too long, or could be used longer.

Oil analysis can be expensive. Prices range from $30 to over $100 per sample. Is it worth it? Yep, that's also up to you."

Thanks for the info! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! :coolblue:
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:21:21 AM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 10:28:13 AM »

I thought this was an interesting read.

Amsoil
Amsoil actually makes some very good products. The negative image of Amsoil is due to their distribution method (MLM) and their marketing approach. If Amsoil products were competitively priced with Mobil 1 and other synthetics, and if I could buy them in a store, I would not hesitate to use their XL-7500 synthetic as opposed to Mobil 1. What upsets me about Amsoil is that they didn't disclose until recently (and then it was by accident) the real reason that their oils (except for XL-7500) are not API certified. In the past they came up with all sorts of bizarre excuses about the reason for their lack of API certification and this greatly contributed to the distrust that people have of the company.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 12:35:13 AM »

just going through the 2010 Screaming Eagle Pro Racing catalog and noted on page 71 shows only two engine oil options. A Screaming Eagle SYN3 100% Synthetic Motor Lubricant 20W50 and an Screaming Eagle Synthetic Blend Motor Lubricant 20W50. Does this mean the 100% Synthetic Blend is 'new' this year? They keep the name SYN3 for 100%  but don't mention the Synthetic blend is o.k. to use in all three holes  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 07:06:34 AM »

just going through the 2010 Screaming Eagle Pro Racing catalog and noted on page 71 shows only two engine oil options. A Screaming Eagle SYN3 100% Synthetic Motor Lubricant 20W50 and an Screaming Eagle Synthetic Blend Motor Lubricant 20W50. Does this mean the 100% Synthetic Blend is 'new' this year? They keep the name SYN3 for 100%  but don't mention the Synthetic blend is o.k. to use in all three holes  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:
this is what caused me to start this thread

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 01:51:39 PM »

this is what caused me to start this thread

YUP, it doesn't look like they offer a pure dinosaur oil anymore.. Looks like Hoist has gotta look for another brand.  :nervous: :nervous:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 25 queries.