Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Nitrogen In Your Motorcycle Tires.  (Read 21058 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Nitrogen In Your Motorcycle Tires.
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2009, 05:07:28 PM »

:vrolijk_11: :vrolijk_11: :vrolijk_11: :drink: :drink: :drink: :smilie_staub: :smilie_staub: :smilie_staub: ::) :D ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

harleydave

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE 3
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2009, 05:40:03 PM »

If you light it you definitely will go faster!!!!! (However I am not sure how to do it since the stuff is in your tires..)   

Isnt nitrogen an inert gas ????

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2009, 05:55:07 PM »

--In a recent study, tires filled with nitrogen lasted 75% longer than tires filled with air.   Was that while they were on the cars, or while they were in the landfill waiting to decompose?  Nitrogen is an old story btw.  Why not do a little research and get back to us on a really useful product like tires filled with semi-rigid foam?  Now those babies have it all, really long life and zero maintenance.  Don't even need a valve stem, much less a tire gauge or compressor.

Jerry

PS   Is it really necessary to start another thread on this beaten-to-death subject?  You could have just added this to the four pages of posts from your last thread about Nitrofill, you didn't need to start another new thread.  If you forgot where the other thread is, just follow this link:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=40886.0

Maybe they just forgot where it was :nixweiss:... fixed now. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2009, 09:11:21 PM »

Maybe they just forgot where it was :nixweiss:... fixed now. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Did you know that if you fill a Firedood with nitrogen it will.... well.....   It'll not do that much different I guess.  They are pretty gassy to begin with.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 09:18:27 PM by Twolanerider »

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2009, 09:14:37 PM »

Did you know that if you fill a Firedood with nitrogen it will.... well.....   It'll do that much different I guess.  They are pretty gassy to begin with.
ChitheadTM!!!!! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2009, 09:18:56 PM »

ChitheadTM!!!!! :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Uh....    Whut :nixweiss: ?

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2009, 09:22:22 PM »

Did you know that if you fill a Firedood with nitrogen it will.... well.....   It'll not do that much different I guess.  They are pretty gassy to begin with.
Been hittin' the altering substances tonight?  ??? har.  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2009, 09:29:31 PM »

Uh....    Whut :nixweiss: ?
You aren't anyone's  :angel: :ons_1: :engel017: :innocent: more like a :ons_4: to  :devil: ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2009, 08:51:45 AM »

Our local service manager conducted a 3 month study on nitrogen.  2 bikes - 1 tube w/spokes, other identical bike with mag wheels.  Both lost air.  Truck tires filled filled - lost air also.  maybe not quite as much as ambient air, but the point remains: tires lose air, no matter what expensive crappola air you put in them.  However, I am having excellent success using imported air from France in my Michelins, even though it costs a lot of francs with today's exchange rate.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2009, 09:20:50 AM »

My wife's bike lost only 2 lbs. in 15k miles with notrogen.  It came with nitrogen when it was new.  I thought it was hocus pocus, but I had to add air three times in that same 15k miles in my bike.  So, I paid the $7 for the nitorgen.  It's worth $7 for the convenince of not having to keep adding air.  If we get better mileage wear on the tires, that's just a plus. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2009, 11:36:58 AM »

My wife's bike lost only 2 lbs. in 15k miles with notrogen.  It came with nitrogen when it was new.  I thought it was hocus pocus, but I had to add air three times in that same 15k miles in my bike.  So, I paid the $7 for the nitorgen.  It's worth $7 for the convenince of not having to keep adding air.  If we get better mileage wear on the tires, that's just a plus. :2vrolijk_21:

JC, does the convenience really work out conveniently?

A) Once every month or two if need be you drag an air hose across the garage to top off your tires.  Whenever you feel like it.  In your underwear if you want to.  Entirely at your convenience.

or

B) You need filled marginally less frequently.  But whenever you do you have to ride to a tire shop or dealership somewhere on their business schedule.  

If you maintain proper pressure either way that'll be the only difference.  And even that is marginal.  I've had tires that needed topped off far less frequently than others all using "normal" air.  There are variances in tire bodies that account for a difference too.  So a limited sampling really tells you little.  Except that you can no longer wander out in the garage and pump up the tires in your tidy whities at midnight the night before a ride the next morning.  At least not without "deflating" the impact of your nitrogen.

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2009, 12:10:16 PM »

I worked as an aircraft mechanic for a few years. The only reason we used Nitrogen was due to the extreme temp range encountered between high altitude and the extreme high temps encountered when the tires hit the pavement (due to speed and weight). Pretty much a waste of time and money for a vehicle that doesn't fly... (IMO)

jb :2vrolijk_21:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2009, 12:26:09 PM »

Gotta agree that the Nitrogen is not convenient.  My wife's car came w/ the Nitrogen in the tires (she won't let me change it out) and I don't like not being able to check/top off in my garage.  All other vehicles get the good ole compressor air whenever I feel like it.  ;D har! spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2009, 03:21:09 PM »

I still think the semi-rigid foam idea is a lot better than nitrogen, btw.  And I'll believe the folks at Consumer Reports over the ones on this site that claim nitrogen doesn't leak down, or leaks down much less than "air".  CR filled a bunch of tires with plain old air and with nitrogen, then let them sit for a year.  The results, if I remember correctly, were that all the tires lost some pressure, and that the pure nitrogen filled tires lost about one psi less than the plain old air filled tires on average.  They considered it to be an insignificant difference.  I consider it to be a significant example of why it makes no sense to pay for nitrogen. 

One of the things that bothers me about all the hyping of nitrogen is that it just encourages more people to neglect checking and properly maintaining their tires.  There are way too many folks running around who don't check tire pressures until someone tells them they have a flat, and now we have people telling folks nitrogen doesn't leak out and doesn't change pressure with temp changes and various other BS that will lead even more folks to ignore their tires until they have a failure.  If life were fair and idiots were only allowed to kill themselves instead of innocent bystanders, I would say let the idiots kill themselves and improve the gene pool.  However, life isn't fair and it isn't just the idiots who wind up dead.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2009, 03:29:25 PM »

I still think the semi-rigid foam idea is a lot better than nitrogen, btw.  And I'll believe the folks at Consumer Reports over the ones on this site that claim nitrogen doesn't leak down, or leaks down much less than "air".  CR filled a bunch of tires with plain old air and with nitrogen, then let them sit for a year.  The results, if I remember correctly, were that all the tires lost some pressure, and that the pure nitrogen filled tires lost about one psi less than the plain old air filled tires on average.  They considered it to be an insignificant difference.  I consider it to be a significant example of why it makes no sense to pay for nitrogen. 

One of the things that bothers me about all the hyping of nitrogen is that it just encourages more people to neglect checking and properly maintaining their tires.  There are way too many folks running around who don't check tire pressures until someone tells them they have a flat, and now we have people telling folks nitrogen doesn't leak out and doesn't change pressure with temp changes and various other BS that will lead even more folks to ignore their tires until they have a failure.  If life were fair and idiots were only allowed to kill themselves instead of innocent bystanders, I would say let the idiots kill themselves and improve the gene pool.  However, life isn't fair and it isn't just the idiots who wind up dead.

Jerry

Last paragraph nails this (no pun intended).   Last 2 sentences: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 20 queries.