Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: My 4th Engine Shutdown at 60mph  (Read 12585 times)

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
Re: My 4th Engine Shutdown at 60mph
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2009, 10:02:15 PM »

I've rolled on 400+ miles since the incident without a repeat.  So far, so good.
T-man

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2009, 05:11:49 AM »

@Desertbear:

so you pretty nicely narrowed in the probable causes: wiring affected by movement of handlebar.

An other known source of this problem used to be a faulty turn-signal-relay (especially with softails, don't ask me why) - but you don't mention engaging the turn-signals when your engine cuts off.

Kill-switch is very popular too. When I bought my first Harley I had BMWs before so I was used to switch the engine off with the kill-switch instead of the main switch. Our old mech urged me to get rid of this habit because Harley's kill switches were known to survive only a little number of actions  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

bknerr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2009, 02:59:47 PM »

i have been told (twice) to always use the kill switch on hd`s, that otherwise you tend to burn out stators over time. any truth to this? i can say i always use the kill switch and have never had to replace one, even on my 95`, which has seen plenty of use.     
1963 flh
1974 fxe

2003 flhrc
2008 flhtcuse3

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2009, 03:06:19 PM »

i have been told (twice) to always use the kill switch on hd`s, that otherwise you tend to burn out stators over time. any truth to this? i can say i always use the kill switch and have never had to replace one, even on my 95`, which has seen plenty of use.     
I've always used the kill switch too... along w/hearing it I believe I read it in the owners manual also. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2009, 03:10:35 PM »

And I've been told to NEVER use it, except for it's intended emergency purpose. So I NEVER use it, and NEVER had issues with it either! So who's right? :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »

Never heard that either, I'd like to know. I always use the tank switch to shut off unless on a steep hill trying to park, so I don't roll back, then I use the kill switch.

Craig

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2009, 04:08:15 PM »

Maybe that's why my stator gave up the ghost on ole granny. Almost never use the kill button.  :confused5: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »

so that's how urban legends grow  ;D

But one thing is for sure: our dealer has some 20 kill switches on inventory - he would not if this part would be ever so long lasting  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2009, 04:24:02 PM »

Never say 'kill' when you talking about motorcycles!  :2vrolijk_21:  Bad luck.  I refer to it by its proper name - engine cutoff switch.  And the most important reason for using it is that you can shut off the engine without taking you hands off the handlebars.  So it is a safety and control issue.  Not really a big deal on dressers with the switch easily accessible if you're on level ground.  But with a sportster, dyna, v-rod, etc., where you have to reach for the key - well that's another matter and definitely better to use the engine cutoff switch imo.  I always have and always do and never had one fail.  I would submit that never using it is worse since it might corrode and not work when you need it it, jmo.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #69 on: November 19, 2009, 04:43:06 PM »

Never say 'kill' when you talking about motorcycles!  :2vrolijk_21:  Bad luck.  I refer to it by its proper name - engine cutoff switch.  And the most important reason for using it is that you can shut off the engine without taking you hands off the handlebars.  So it is a safety and control issue.  Not really a big deal on dressers with the switch easily accessible if you're on level ground.  But with a sportster, dyna, v-rod, etc., where you have to reach for the key - well that's another matter and definitely better to use the engine cutoff switch imo.  I always have and always do and never had one fail.  I would submit that never using it is worse since it might corrode and not work when you need it it, jmo.
Yesterday when I posted that I had heard/read this I went and found it in my manual (which didn't really explain the reason why) and then searched and found exactly what you are saying on the MSF site. What ever you do/practice in everyday situations you will do in emergency situations. Getting used to turning the bike off by the cutoff switch normally and you will do the same in an emergency with both hands on the handlebars if needed. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2009, 09:33:28 PM »

Yesterday when I posted that I had heard/read this I went and found it in my manual (which didn't really explain the reason why) and then searched and found exactly what you are saying on the MSF site. What ever you do/practice in everyday situations you will do in emergency situations. Getting used to turning the bike off by the cutoff switch normally and you will do the same in an emergency with both hands on the handlebars if needed. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Amen and amen.  That is so true!

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 20 queries.