Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 99

Author Topic: I might be down, but I'm not out!  (Read 262040 times)

Joelgonia

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRISE4
Re: I might be down, but I'm not out!
« Reply #390 on: August 04, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »

What an adventure - and a cancer survivor!!  My Dad survived prostate cancer 12 years ago -- You guys sound a lot alike.  He can not slow down, and if he could, he wouldn't!  Keep it up -- We'll keep up with the prayers,  Joel
2010 CVO Blk Ultra -- Krull the Warrior King

Living large - Flying low - Riding high

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #391 on: August 04, 2010, 10:23:54 PM »

Sam,
You and Sue are in my prayers every day. I am still looking forward to riding with you. Please keep us posted on your progress.
The love of your extended family has no limits and is always here for you.
God Bless.
Your friend and extended family member,
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

DJ56

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 FLHTCSE (pumpkin)
    • CVO2: 05 FLHTCSE2 (two tone candy red)(2 of them)
    • CVO3: Not CVO; 07 Ultra Classic (black pearl)
« Reply #392 on: August 04, 2010, 10:52:21 PM »

Glad you got to do the trip up north chappy.  You and Sue are truly inspiring folks.  Keep up the good fight.  Prayers...

DJ                                           

I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #393 on: August 17, 2010, 08:42:15 AM »

Sam,
Haven't heard from you in a while. You and Sue are in our thoughts and prayers every day.
Hope all is well and you have been out riding.
God Bless,
Your fiend,
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #394 on: August 17, 2010, 11:33:23 PM »

Still thinking of you and praying for you and your family!  Hoping all is well and you are getting more riding time in with Sue, also hoping you are enjoying the baby's. God bless you Sam !

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #395 on: August 18, 2010, 01:31:14 AM »

Thanks so much for thoughts and prayers. I've been very encouraged by your caring posts.

There has been some set backs along side of the victories and that seems to be par for the course.
At the very least, it keeps things interesting.

The twin boys are now 3 1/2 months old, man, time flies.
They are doing very well and have reached the percentile of children that were born with full term.
Believe it or not, they both have reached 10+ pounds.

Sue had another flare up with her Multiple Sclerosis, she had her bounce back after 3 treatment of IV infusion.
The hard part is I loose a little bit of her each time she has a flare.
This time she hasn't bounced back as well as she had so many times before.
I think it has to do with the hot temps and high humid weather we've had of late.
And the stress she is under dealing with a sick hubby can't be doing her much good either.

I haven't been on the bike very much lately.
I've been a little under the weather myself.
In an earlier post I stated that the cancer showed up on my C-scan at the Vermont VA hospital, so I had a PET Scan and another C-scan done at the Boston VA Hospital. I saw a new Doc while my usual Doc was gone on Vacation. The news could have been better, but it also could have been much worse.
August 2nd, I had an appointment with my regular Oncologist Doc. But, strangely enough my scans are missing. Or at least they are not able to look at them on any of the VA computers. The Doc said he'd find them and give me a call. Today is day 16  and still no call. I called the Doc's office today and no reply yet. The good news is, I'm not on chemo treatment.  But all and all, the news I have been given by the fill in Doc and the regular Doc is really a mixed bag. I've lost around 10 pounds on average in the last 2 months. My hair is growing, and I've had 2 trims on my head and face so far.

I do have days that are easier than others, but I'm still very glad and happy that I've had a summer to enjoy. What's funny is, time flies whether you're having fun or not.

Now for the really great news, Sue's twin sister had a successful double lung transplant in Pittsburg, PA and is now at home in Maine. She was very happy to be home this past Saturday. It's been a long road for her. Sue and I are hoping that we can take the ride over to see her tomorrow. Sue might stay for a couple days.

Well that's about it it for now my friends. I hope all is well with you guys and I hope you are enjoying long dry sunny rides on two wheels.

Take care
your friend in Sunapee, NH
Sam  aka  chappy 
Ps 118:8

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #396 on: August 18, 2010, 09:02:34 AM »

Good morning Sam,  I am glad to hear that the twins are doing so well but not so glad to hear of the set backs you and Sue have had this summer.  I guess in the larger picture things could indeed be worse as you said, but I still hope and pray for you that they get even better as time flys by.

Always in our thoughts

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #397 on: August 18, 2010, 10:05:03 AM »

Sam, All we can do is one day at a time and hope and pray we enjoy the next, the baby's must be total enjoyment to be around and experience. I hope that you and Sue can make the trip to her sister and visit. Meanwhile my family and I will be praying for yours. God bless you and yours !
  Talk to you soon, MAT

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #398 on: August 18, 2010, 06:31:40 PM »

Sam,

Good to hear from you, wow, twins 3 1/2 months already, that's great.  Sorry to hear Sue is under the weather, but the heat places a big part on MS, the hotter it is the worse it is on the person.

You and you family are in our prayers everyday, take care  and God Bless you and yours.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

grit

• GRIT
  • Junior CVO Member
  • CVO 2009; FLHTCUSE Stardust Silver/Twilight Blue
« Reply #399 on: September 13, 2010, 11:38:14 AM »

Chappy and Sue, you're still in my daily prayers. God Bless.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #400 on: September 14, 2010, 08:48:00 AM »

Chappy, Sue and Family,

Continued best wishes and prayers for you all...enjoy each day knowing we are with you!
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #401 on: September 18, 2010, 12:47:19 AM »

Hello Family and Friends at CVOHarley,

As usual, I'm long winded.
So this is part 1 of 2

Let me start by saying, I hope all is well with you and yours.
And Thank You for all your prayers thoughts and encouraging words.

I also want to say a couple of things that I am very thankful that took place these past couple months.

Sue and I had twin Grandsons on May 9th, (Mothers Day), well, Grandmothers day too. Although Lincoln and Braden were born premature by 7 weeks, they are now at full percentile for babies of equal age. Shaun and Amy have their hands full. Better them than me. lol

I have been out riding my mc, including a ride to Nova Scotia, to ride the Cabot Trail and also boating on Lake Sunapee and the stretch of the Connecticut River from Springfield, VT to North Walpole, NH. It seems as though the summer has just flown by, however it has been a good season for me.

I had the ultimate honor on August 6th to officiate the wedding ceremony for my best friend Don  aka  Delta and his Bride Cathy  aka  Hazeleyes. It was an outside wedding and you couldn't have had a nicer day.

Now for a difficult post to write about my fight with cancer. Thymic Carcinoma cancer has been quite a foe so far and it seems it hasn't yet realized who it's up against. Since my last update, lots has happened at the incredible pace of a snail. Although my Oncology Doctor ordered the first c-scan to be done at the Vermont Veterans Hospital, unfortunately for me, he left for a 3 week vacation and was gone when the scan was read in Vermont. A second oncology Doctor read that c-scan and she ordered a follow up c-scan and a PET scan also to be done in Boston, Ma. They were done in late July, so all 3 scans were done in July. The reason she (the second Doctor) ordered the scans to be done was because the first one proved to be such a poor report. My main oncology Doctor still hasn't seen my c-scan or PET scan from Boston Veterans Hospital as of last Monday the 13th. At that appointment it was thought that everything looked about the same. No real alarms. A bit strange compared to the report I got from the second oncologist. But, pretty much the same yo-yo tricks that I have come to expect.

The very next day (Tuesday, September 14th) I had a ten month follow up with the Surgeon that took the cancer tumors out of my chest last November 11. He was able to access all my July scans as well as the brand new c-scan with contrast that he ordered to be done the same day just prior to the appointment I had with him.

So, par for the course, this is still quite a roller coaster ride with it's continuing ups and downs. Little should this day be different than the others it follows.  lol

part 2 of 2 next post   chappy
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 12:54:17 AM by chappy »

chappy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #402 on: September 18, 2010, 12:49:16 AM »

hello again,

part 2 of 2

The Surgeon came into the examination room where Sue and I were already talking with the his right hand woman. The Doc asked very few questions and then plain told me that the cancer is back and it's growing very aggressively. He told me that there is 5 new tumors in my right lung and 1 new tumor in my left lung. While he was talking I pictured how much I did not enjoy the chemo express because of how sick it made me. But before I could gather all my animosity for chemo therapy, Dr. Cohen still speaking, interrupted my thoughts with the words, "We'll have to operate again!"  SLAM !!!  goes the door of all my previous thoughts. And before I could say, "WHAT??"  He added, but we will have to do the right side first and latter do the left side side. Man, I got to tell ya, that's the last thing I expected to here. As much as I hated chemo, that's what I thought would be the next step if this cancer showed up in Dodge again. The Doc said that it wouldn't be along the same scar this time, it would be a cut from my front along my ribs under my arm to my back. I asked why not do both at the same time. He told me because it would hurt to much. Man, now that's the second thing I wasn't expecting to hear, and frankly, I really didn't like hearing that at all.  lol     So, I said, I thought that's what the drugs are for? But, laughs were had by none. lol    All this will be brought before the Tumor Board at the West Roxbury Veterans Hospital in Boston next Tuesday the 21st and if all goes as the Doc expects, I will have the tentative date of October 7th confirmed for the first of the two surgeries. Just to add a little frosting to the cake, as I left the Doc's examination room, he said, "You do know that this can't keep going on?"  I do know that, but hearing it out loud and all really did bring a new level of (not wanting to hear that!!)  Needless to say, it was a long, and nearly 3 hour ride home. Sue and I didn't talk much and when we did it was very short sentences. As though we knew what the other was thinking, but, why wouldn't we know, we've been married 35 years. Next to breathing, that's the longest I've done anything with one exception, riding motorcycles.  lol   I'm still looking for that next long distance ride, my favorite way to mc ride.

Next Tuesday I'll get the call from Boston and the answer to what the Tumor Board has decided about me. But earlier that same day I'm going to meet with my oncology Doc in Vermont to go over all these developments. I'm hoping that he can help me as think out questions that I want to ask the surgeon when he calls me latter that day. I also will have several questions to ask the oncologist while I'm with him as well. As always, Sue will be with me to take notes and ask questions of her own.

I have lots to think about and needless to say, sleep isn't coming to easy these past couple of days. Lately I have felt like the rabbit in Alice in Wonderland, wondering how I'm going to get everything done as I look at my watch (or calendar). Today I started the bi-annual garage transition. Seems winter is on us soon here in NH. I mowed the grass for the last time this year and now the snow-thrower attatchment replaces the lawn mowing deck. I'm always amazed how much junk accumulates in my garage. I think it's because of the cost of tossing things at the dump, it just piles up. Tomorrow is going to be dump day. I hope I have enough dump tickets to pay for the pile I'll be bring. Funny thing is, It's more like the local exchange, because I often times bring stuff home. You know, for those projects and all. lol  You've heard the saying, "One mans trash is another mans treasure"? Well, for me it's more like, "One mans trash is my trash now!  at least sometimes it feels that way.  lol  Like tomorrow. Trash day, a lot of stuf is getting returned.  lol

Well, thanks for listening, I promise the next up-date will be sooner and shorter.
my warmest wishes go out to you all
Dad, Sam, chappy, friend

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #403 on: September 18, 2010, 01:31:04 AM »

HI Sam & Sue

I read your latest post with a tear in my heart, I hope and pray only the best for you and your family.  I'm not sure if you are familiar with The Book of Job,  but I see many similarities with your life's path in these modern days as Job faced in his times.  I pray that you can keep your faith and hope, and your fate should turn for the better as did his.

Marty
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #404 on: September 18, 2010, 09:49:09 AM »

Sam,
Your post today nearly dropped me to the floor. I can only hope and pray for better things to come.
You and Sue are in my prayers daily.
Continue the fight knowing our prayers are with you.
God Bless, my friend.
Mike

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 99

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 24 queries.