Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Author Topic: Feuling 574 Cam in a 110"  (Read 73134 times)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Feuling 574 Cam in a 110"
« Reply #150 on: September 03, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »

if you can keep out of the throttle  can you roll + 40 mpg??  i know several have been able to do easily. 

I do 40+ mpg pulling a Bushtec riding 2 up with my 120r!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #151 on: September 03, 2012, 11:15:26 PM »

I do 40+ mpg pulling a Bushtec riding 2 up with my 120r!   :2vrolijk_21:
sure don't have to open the throttle much with that kind of tq available and hp. 

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #152 on: September 15, 2012, 11:32:13 PM »

I have dealt several of these 120r's so far, only 1 is mine and in each case once we removed the stock lifters and replaced with S&S the top end was much much quieter.   IMO it is still quieter than a 110 from the factory even without changing the lifters.   

got to thinking about the R&R heads a bit more and the stage 4 run a small intake 1.90. forget the exhaust size.
seems as i think about it the cams are the 615 but i think ya have to get a expensice cam plate worked up to take bearings that i think are differant than the late models now.. i forget the cost but its pretty high i think and if i am recalling things right  it spaces the cam cover out  so exhaust fit is and issue.   or i guess  take it down and scheck for crank run out and hope its good to go and spend a pile on gear drive.    i checked the site and it really is not to explanatory on what may have to be done..   

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #153 on: September 15, 2012, 11:38:35 PM »

So that is the cam of choice now?
OK think about a 585 S&S with a 1.7 on the intake

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #154 on: September 16, 2012, 12:49:04 AM »

So that is the cam of choice now?
OK think about a 585 S&S with a 1.7 on the intake

curious who your directing this at? 

if me, i have not implied  a thing. have been in a disucssion that was good.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #155 on: September 16, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »

There is no shortage of cams that work well. The problem I have is with the choosing process many use. Looking and examining these cams in internet discussions in the context of the brand, the guy that packages/designs them, portions of the specifications and then making a choice. Along this path the motor demand to reach the specific goal is left out (the physics), instead substituted with now that I choose this XYZ cam what are the rest of the parts I need to get this to work. The logic is generally this XYZ cam made Xhp and Ytq and the dyno is in SAE so it must be a good cam.

The 110 heads are different than the OEM heads in this case and what may and does work well with them will not necessarily work well with these and visa versa. The 110 head when used on a larger motor behaves and needs a little different treatment.

So I usually have issues with the cam of the month or good cam bad cam discussions, my own bias, nonetheless I feel the concern is justified.
Integrators understand these concepts and have become pretty good at choosing cams by the way and then some of the heads characteristics, exhaust, and other components are considered as well as the rest of the system.
The car guys are light years ahead in this realm. If you can get past the cam hotline kids and get to an experienced professional you will get a cam designed for the build not a build made to conform to the cam

advice offered totally free, no spam
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:49:25 AM by Deweysheads »

streetg

« Reply #156 on: September 16, 2012, 03:08:07 PM »

got to thinking about the R&R heads a bit more and the stage 4 run a small intake 1.90. forget the exhaust size.
seems as i think about it the cams are the 615 but i think ya have to get a expensice cam plate worked up to take bearings that i think are differant than the late models now.. i forget the cost but its pretty high i think and if i am recalling things right  it spaces the cam cover out  so exhaust fit is and issue.   or i guess  take it down and scheck for crank run out and hope its good to go and spend a pile on gear drive.    i checked the site and it really is not to explanatory on what may have to be done..   

You can use their internal camplate with those cams and retain thye stock cover so any exhaust will work.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #157 on: September 16, 2012, 05:55:13 PM »

i bet it is a piece that has a heck of a price too

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #158 on: September 16, 2012, 07:58:13 PM »

There is no shortage of cams that work well. The problem I have is with the choosing process many use. Looking and examining these cams in internet discussions in the context of the brand, the guy that packages/designs them, portions of the specifications and then making a choice. Along this path the motor demand to reach the specific goal is left out (the physics), instead substituted with now that I choose this XYZ cam what are the rest of the parts I need to get this to work. The logic is generally this XYZ cam made Xhp and Ytq and the dyno is in SAE so it must be a good cam.

The 110 heads are different than the OEM heads in this case and what may and does work well with them will not necessarily work well with these and visa versa. The 110 head when used on a larger motor behaves and needs a little different treatment.

So I usually have issues with the cam of the month or good cam bad cam discussions, my own bias, nonetheless I feel the concern is justified.
Integrators understand these concepts and have become pretty good at choosing cams by the way and then some of the heads characteristics, exhaust, and other components are considered as well as the rest of the system.
The car guys are light years ahead in this realm. If you can get past the cam hotline kids and get to an experienced professional you will get a cam designed for the build not a build made to conform to the cam

advice offered totally free, no spam

the cam of the month is not what i am about .    don't recall too many running the  R&R 615.   if indeed the 574 is the flavor of the month  thats cool with at least people mix it uap and others with the  110" platform will learn something so when sombody starts the  BS with them how wonderful or how the cam sucks compared to this and that cam they can run like hell from the crap.      like they say this isn't rocket science or even close.   but thanks for your concern Don. the forums help  weed out all the razzle dazzle and i think that is superb.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #159 on: September 16, 2012, 08:07:37 PM »

The Feuling 574 suits the 110 very well and has done that for years thanks to the installers and tuners that pair it with the right combination of parts. I have not seen equal results from either a stock 96 or 103 using that cam for some very compelling reasons.

The R&R 615 is of Speeds origin and can be duplicated by putting a 1.7 rocker on a 585. Very old and proven grind when paired with the right parts. Now with the benefit of hydra-chain and easy start right from S&S. Neither
one or the other are best all cases but both can work well when integrated properly.

I am not affiliated with either company and don't sell either however would encourage a customer to buy and use them if the situation was right.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 09:01:54 PM by Deweysheads »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #160 on: September 16, 2012, 08:07:53 PM »

if indeed the 574 is the flavor of the month  thats cool

If it is it's been a very long month.  Jim at Metal Dragon (non-proselytizing vendor) has had good reports using that cam in a combination he's developed for quite some time.  Jim's experience is always good enough for me.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #161 on: September 16, 2012, 08:16:31 PM »

Jim is the vendor I eluded to. He integrates the cam and it works. I am not selling either just stating some often ignored facts

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #162 on: September 16, 2012, 11:59:07 PM »

Jim is the vendor I eluded to. He integrates the cam and it works. I am not selling either just stating some often ignored facts

one thing i see that is a fact also is that a few of the so called flavor of the month cams end up on e bay or many forums for sale section.. that is why its always better to ask questions and hope for answers. not  BS steering folks to other  BS builds.
way too dam much razzle dazzle.  have no clue  who jim is  listed above   

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #163 on: September 17, 2012, 12:10:05 AM »

If it is it's been a very long month.  Jim at Metal Dragon (non-proselytizing vendor) has had good reports using that cam in a combination he's developed for quite some time.  Jim's experience is always good enough for me.

who is  Jim or what  does he do is a better question/

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2012, 01:03:40 AM »

who is  Jim or what  does he do is a better question/

Jim is Jim Schlossel (hope that's spelled right).  Has an independent shop in Northern California doing business as Metal Dragon.  Jim doesn't, in fact won't, toot his own horn.  He's been a site member longer than he's been a shop owner; and he's had the shop opened several years now.

Jim won't go out of his way (or in to our way) to even mention himself or his services in a thread.  He's good enough at what he does the work finds him anyway.  He gives discounts to site members for parts and ships promptly if you must just buy parts from him and can't take advantage of his shop skills.  Site username is hd-dude if you want to send him a PM.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.