Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 09SERG USING OIL,IS ANYBODY ELSES DOING THIS?  (Read 2847 times)

Ed Ramberger - One_Screamin_Eagle

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FLTRSEI
Re: 09SERG USING OIL,IS ANYBODY ELSES DOING THIS?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 08:00:35 PM »

talked to the dealer.he told me he would do a leak down test if i wanted.he noted that the bike was doing this.he made the suggestion to drive it for a couple of years and then have it done before warrenty is up.i like that idea.when they do the rebuild i will go for 113 parts and have them installed for free.

Shouldn't convert a 110 to 113 because the case has a lip machined in for the o-ring on a 110.  113 does not use the o-ring and will have too little gasket sealing surface at the bottom of the cyl.  This is why the SE book states 113 parts are not for bikes that have been 110's.  Also, you can get the same power out of the 110 as the 113 so it's no loss.  

The description of puffing at startup and going away right away indicates a possible valve seal.
Leakdown tests will not show this.
Upside down 2nd rings usually make mosquito foggers rather than start up puffers.
Make sure that you aren't overfilling the oil.  Many people throw in 4 qts at the oil change and that makes them about 8-10 ounces overfilled.  They then keep noticing oil go away on the stick, but the oil is just being vented. Should only be adding 3.5 quarts at the oil change.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:02:26 PM by One_Screamin_Eagle »
FLTRSEI -Delphi Conversion, 103", 251 cams, Heavy Breather & a couple other little tweaks

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 12:39:18 AM »

why will a 4 quart oil change make a puff at start up and then go away?i have a digital dipstick and i also check manually and oil is not overfull.i  am thinking bad seals or guides.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2010, 01:36:49 PM »

why will a 4 quart oil change make a puff at start up and then go away?i have a digital dipstick and i also check manually and oil is not overfull.i  am thinking bad seals or guides.

It has been the experience of many of us that running the oil in these engines right at the full mark is actually about a pint too much.  The problem manifests as excessive blow-by into the air cleaner and intake, which could in fact result in a puff of smoke at startup.

However, having noted that for the record, you are absolutely on the right track with the valve stem seals and/or guides statement.  That is by far the most likely source of the problem, and it's been fairly common.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 09:31:43 AM »

i have a 2010 cvostreet glide with only 360 miles on it and its a half qt. low so far
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 20 queries.