Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garmin model 1690 vs Zumo  (Read 1061 times)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
Garmin model 1690 vs Zumo
« on: January 02, 2010, 01:27:36 PM »

I just got the Garmin 1690 as a gift.  I took it outdoors and had problems seeing the screen.  The Garmin website says the Zumo has the same screen. Is it possible that screens designed for outdoor use are different than those intended to be viewed from inside a car?   Is the Zumo screen easy to see in sunlight?   Thanks
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
Re: Garmin model 1690 vs Zumo
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 08:11:25 PM »

I have a Zumo 550 and I have absolutely no problems seeing the screen in the daylight or at night. If the sun is shining directly on the screen, it will be a little bit "washed" out, but still no problem to see. The Zumo does have an adjustment feature for more or less backlight, and can also be set to automatically change from daylight to nightime lighting.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 12:35:14 AM »

I just got the Garmin 1690 as a gift.  I took it outdoors and had problems seeing the screen.  The Garmin website says the Zumo has the same screen. Is it possible that screens designed for outdoor use are different than those intended to be viewed from inside a car?   Is the Zumo screen easy to see in sunlight?   Thanks

The Zumo is also waterproof.  If it's raining, I don't want to put my GPS away.  I want to be able to find my way without getting lost even more so when it's raining.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:47:07 AM »

The Zumo is also waterproof.  If it's raining, I don't want to put my GPS away.  I want to be able to find my way without getting lost even more so when it's raining.

Or at least find the way to the closest dry beer.  :drink:

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 01:42:00 AM »

Or at least find the way to the closest dry beer.  :drink:

Yeah, I think that must be what I meant to say.  Yeah, that's the ticket!

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 06:32:38 AM »

I have a Zumo 550 and I have absolutely no problems seeing the screen in the daylight or at night. If the sun is shining directly on the screen, it will be a little bit "washed" out, but still no problem to see. The Zumo does have an adjustment feature for more or less backlight, and can also be set to automatically change from daylight to nightime lighting.

What he said.

I have both the 550 and 660 and do not have a problem seeing the screen in the direct sun light.

Ride It Like You Are Retired

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 10:57:07 AM »

The current nuvi series from Garmin comes with a matte finish (anti-glare) screen that seems to work pretty well in bright light, so I'm surprised you're having a problem.  You didn't happen to add a clear protective film did you?  Those come in two versions, anti-glare and totally clear.  The totally clear one's tend to defeat the anti-glare properties of the actual screen.  :nixweiss:

BTW, if you were planning to use the nuvi 1690 on your motorcycle, you may want to rethink that approach.  The regular units, unlike the zumo series designed specifically for bikes, isn't waterproof or vibration resistant.  The Garmin folks make that point very clear on their web site.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 24 queries.