Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Better Brakes for the Softail Convertible?  (Read 9363 times)

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
Re: Better Brakes for the Softail Convertible?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 01:03:58 PM »

Has anyone gone and put the Lyndall Z+ brakes on the FLSTSE yet? I was planning to do it at some point and for sure before the York trip in June. Man, when will the $$$ stop leaking out of my wallet? This is starting to become a problem...

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 01:19:24 PM »

Man, when will the $$$ stop leaking out of my wallet? This is starting to become a problem...

MikeV

You love it and you know it...   :bananarock: :bananarock:

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 01:26:48 PM »

Maybe but I am in total denial. The bike is in the shop right now getting the latest mod done (shhhh..it's a SECRET) and I have a date with the drill this weekend to get to work on my Frankenbaffles (finally).

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

goldfar

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »

i don't mean to be sarcastic but coming from riding springers forever to owning my flstse why not try breaking sooner or putting a little more space between you and the car/bike in front...riding springers will teach you how to ride motorcycles

Duh?

So your answer to better brakes is to break sooner???  The next time someone makes a left turn directly in front of me, I'll ask him/her to wait a moment while I break sooner.

Why didn't I think of that.
2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

Blueyz0416

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 08:03:35 PM »

Duh?

So your answer to better brakes is to break sooner???  The next time someone makes a left turn directly in front of me, I'll ask him/her to wait a moment while I break sooner.

Why didn't I think of that.

I actually agree with the ex-springer rider, I've started allowing more distance just because the brakes are what they are.  And I don't remember having any issue with braking power on my Low Rder or my Deluxe.  Just poor design imo that they would go so light on this cvo; but it is what it is.  I have one, so I deal with it.
Carol

2010 CVO Softail Convertible, "Scarlett"

goldfar

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2010, 06:20:32 AM »

Has anyone gone and put the Lyndall Z+ brakes on the FLSTSE yet? I was planning to do it at some point and for sure before the York trip in June. Man, when will the $$$ stop leaking out of my wallet? This is starting to become a problem...

MikeV

Yes, I had the Lyndall pads installed all around and am pleased with the result - better stopping, no squeal, etc.  It was a good, cost-effective solution.

Crimson Red/Autum Haze

goldfar

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2010, 06:41:17 AM »

I actually agree with the ex-springer rider, I've started allowing more distance just because the brakes are what they are.  And I don't remember having any issue with braking power on my Low Rder or my Deluxe.  Just poor design imo that they would go so light on this cvo; but it is what it is.  I have one, so I deal with it.

I fully agree with you that we ALL should allow more room between us and the cars in front, simply because we are on two wheels and always loose when there is a car/bike collision.

It is the stuff we can't control that can become a problem with weak braking, e.g., that left turner that thought we were further away because we have a narrow profile, that car pulling out from the side street talking on a cell phone, the sheep that we couldn't see crossing the road just over the crest of the hill (OK, that happens more in Ireland but just saying...).  Accidents often are the result of unexpected occurances and having the best braking, handling, etc. give us a better chance to react favorably to those moments.

Following the same logic, that if we have poor braking, we should simply leave more room, we could tune our bikes to run slower and just leave home earlier?  Come to think of it, I know a source close to home where you COULD get a slower tune  :).  Just kidding, just kidding, just kidding.
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2010, 09:58:47 AM »

Well I still plan to upgrade the brakes with the Lyndall Z+ pads I'm just not in a hurry to do so right now as I have a couple of other projects ahead of that. When it is eventually done I'll let you guys know if it does or does not improve the braking performance.

MikeV

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2010, 04:08:58 PM »

the sheep that we couldn't see crossing the road

we could tune our bikes to run slower and just leave home earlier?  Come to think of it, I know a source close to home where you COULD get a slower tune  :).  Just kidding, just kidding, just kidding.

Got a bud that stops for ALL sheep and cows even if they are on the side of the road in a fence...  has a funny gleam in his eye when he does that.

Yeah.. bring it over and I'll put that stock map back in there for ya... I'll set the timing real good fer ya too.

enormus322

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 09:34:36 PM »

it wasn't my intention to offend any one. but riding my springer has made me(in my humble opinion) a much better rider from a safety point of view... i tend to keep my head on a swivle and try to anticipate and fully expect people to do dumb things, you have to constantly position yourself in positions to better be seen by other drivers, one thing that drives me nuts is to see riders riding down the road without any headlights, that seems like a dumb thing to do...i have also spent many years  riding sport bikes with dual front callipers which will stop on a dime so, it is what it is and you have to adapt and overcome... just mho...

goldfar

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 06:35:12 AM »

it wasn't my intention to offend any one.

No offense taken.  My bad.  I think I'm just getting a little cranky about this bike.

For the cost of this H-D bike, I could have bought two metric bikes with the same or better performance and stopped there.  I'm just not sure why we bought a bike from a "Custom Vehicle Operations" plant and then:

1. Have to replace the "wind shield" because it doesn't.
2. Have to replace the pipes because the ones it comes with sound, "like a sewing machine" (quote from the salesman who sold it).
3. Have to literally find a, "Wizard" to re-tune the bike so it will run cool and with enough umph to justify the cost.  (Luckly, we have such a Wizard in the neighborhood).
4. Scrape floorboards everywhere because the bike has less lean angle than some SUV's.

You (and Mrs Wizard) are, of course, right.  As bike riders we need to be super alert, drive super defensively, sharpen our riding skills at every opportunity, etc.  Yet we also need the best tools (the bike) for that job and I'm starting to question if indeed, that is what we have.

Ride safe,

Ron
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

skiers

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 07:00:08 AM »

Does anyone have any cheese ?

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 01:03:03 PM »

No offense taken.  My bad.  I think I'm just getting a little cranky about this bike.

For the cost of this H-D bike, I could have bought two metric bikes with the same or better performance and stopped there.  I'm just not sure why we bought a bike from a "Custom Vehicle Operations" plant and then:

1. Have to replace the "wind shield" because it doesn't.
2. Have to replace the pipes because the ones it comes with sound, "like a sewing machine" (quote from the salesman who sold it).
3. Have to literally find a, "Wizard" to re-tune the bike so it will run cool and with enough umph to justify the cost.  (Luckly, we have such a Wizard in the neighborhood).
4. Scrape floorboards everywhere because the bike has less lean angle than some SUV's.

Ron,

Take heart, any H-D Will need pipes and a tune to run at it's best - it's not specific to the ConV. In fact most of the serious metric riders I know do pipes and tune as well. The brakes are a simple upgrade that is a no brainier since it is inexpensive and a safety upgrade that could save your life.

The floorboard scraping scared the the crap out of me the first time it happened. It has not happened often and that is one of the things I compensate for now.

At the end of the day it's still an awesome ride. In a crowd of nice bikes it still stands out. It's not perfect but half the fun is ironing out the wrinkles and meeting some great people along the way. Just my 2¢.

MikeV

goldfar

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2010, 02:05:09 PM »

Thanks Mike, I needed that.  You're right, it IS a good loking bike and with the Wiz tuning, goes like a bat out of H*&L. 

I'm going to cancel that Craig's List ad right now.
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2010, 02:11:37 PM »

Thanks Mike, I needed that.  You're right, it IS a good loking bike and with the Wiz tuning, goes like a bat out of H*&L. 

I'm going to cancel that Craig's List ad right now.

<snicker>   :bananarock: :bananarock:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 24 queries.