Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Toyota recall  (Read 11398 times)

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
Re: Toyota recall
« Reply #120 on: March 03, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »

I love Ford products, but I also remember the Pinto.
kb

Gank

• Senior CVO Member
  • Im from HQ, Im here to help :D

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #121 on: March 03, 2010, 09:45:43 PM »

Real men drove a Maverick
To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2010, 09:47:52 PM »

I love Ford products, but I also remember the Pinto.

Pinto?  You had me beat.  I owned a Chevy Vega for a couple months.   :huepfenlol2:

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2010, 07:30:22 AM »

Few months?  was that before the engine failed or is rusted away ???

To Libs and NDP
"If we are not willing to commit our military when asked by the United Nations, for a NATO mission, in a country whose elected government wants us and whose citizens need us, then when would Canada be prepared to do so?"

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2010, 07:45:11 AM »

Yeah.. But go look at a pic of a Honda Civic or Toyota Corola from the same era as the Pinto, Maverick and Vega.  Styles change.  We laughed at the Yugo next, then the Fiesta, etc. etc. etc.  I'm guessing those little smart cars and maybe even calling the Mini Cooper a "sports car" will be next.

Ride Safe,
JC

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2010, 07:54:35 AM »

lol yeah, we laugh at how the old Vega and Pinto rusted and broke down... but you dont see many old 76 Hondas on the road, or Toyotas either... yet they and their issues seemed to get a by
To Libs and NDP

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #126 on: March 04, 2010, 08:05:43 AM »

I had a friend with a VW bug that we pushed off the road three times as I recall.  I had a friend with a Datsun that we almost never got to start after the temp dropped below 45.  But my Firebird ran.  And it was really cool because we could fill the trunk with ice and load a few cases or a keg for a bush party.  The meltoff would run right out the rust holes in the trunk.   ;D

My problem has never been with the imports.  It's with the BS the press spews about how "quality" the jap cars are or the "superior" german engineering.  I've never seen it.  I've owned alot of cars/trucks/vans and I've had good ones and bad ones.  Same with friends.  I have a buddy who swears by Honda and has had mucho good luck with them.  The worse vegicle I've ever owned was a Ford.  Enough that I swore I'd never buy another one.  Now (because of a family connection) I own two.  And they're the two best vehicles I've ever owned in every respect.

Everbody manufacturer had their own version of the Pinto.  We just only laugh at that one because it had the added benefit of exploding if you banged it in the back.  I know some women like that, come to think of it.  :o  ;D

Ride Safe,
JC

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #127 on: March 04, 2010, 08:49:38 AM »

lol yeah, we laugh at how the old Vega and Pinto rusted and broke down... but you dont see many old 76 Hondas on the road, or Toyotas either... yet they and their issues seemed to get a by

Exactly my point.  The Toyota's, Honda's, and Datsun's of that period were basically junk, with bodies that rusted through in two or three years and engines that might last 40,000 miles if you maintained them religiously.  But folks don't talk about that, they rag on the cheap American cars that were brought out to try to compete with the cheap Japanese imports.  Cheap is cheap, and whether anyone believes it or not you tend to get what you pay for.  When you are forced to compete on price with companies that are heavily subsidized by their government, and enjoy a huge currency advantage thanks to that government's manipulations, you have to cut corners.  The domestics cut a lot of corners, and paid the price for it later on.

I suggest that Toyota and Japan Inc. enjoy their success while they can, because it won't last long.  The Korean's are already doing to them what the Japanese did to the American industry, except the pace is much quicker.  Just look at how quickly Hyundai went from laughing stock to top quality contender.  Then consider the huge resources available to India and China, the next major players in the auto business.  Japan Inc. could follow in the footsteps of the American's much sooner than you might think.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2010, 09:27:53 AM »

Exactly my point.  The Toyota's, Honda's, and Datsun's of that period were basically junk, with bodies that rusted through in two or three years and engines that might last 40,000 miles if you maintained them religiously.  But folks don't talk about that, they rag on the cheap American cars that were brought out to try to compete with the cheap Japanese imports.  Cheap is cheap, and whether anyone believes it or not you tend to get what you pay for.  When you are forced to compete on price with companies that are heavily subsidized by their government, and enjoy a huge currency advantage thanks to that government's manipulations, you have to cut corners.  The domestics cut a lot of corners, and paid the price for it later on.

I suggest that Toyota and Japan Inc. enjoy their success while they can, because it won't last long.  The Korean's are already doing to them what the Japanese did to the American industry, except the pace is much quicker.  Just look at how quickly Hyundai went from laughing stock to top quality contender.  Then consider the huge resources available to India and China, the next major players in the auto business.  Japan Inc. could follow in the footsteps of the American's much sooner than you might think.

Jerry

Indeed.  I bought my daughter a Kia Sportage about a year ago.  Great vehicle and the price was unbelievable.  Chit I could buy two of them for less than the price of one CRV which is what she originally wanted.  She's very happy with the Kia and it has been great - no problems at all.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #129 on: March 04, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »

Boy, I agree. If Japan Inc don't get there chit together, they will become the "BIG THREE".
 I've had rental cars from everyone when I travel. I want the cheapest rentals
possible. I'm sorry to say this BUT when I get STUCK with a Cobalt, I just cringe!
Even the Chevy Alero is MUCH better. The Hyundai, Kia,and Corolla's are WAY
better rentals. I want to try the Ford but the rental companies never have the Focus?
 I like to rent all kinds. I even do that before I buy one. I own an 04 Acura TL, and
have NEVER had a problem. That's not to say my neighbor next door might have
the same car, BUT thinks it's a POS!
The "TAZMUN"

Gank

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #130 on: March 04, 2010, 11:17:44 PM »

I have  Pontiac G5 Pursuit... Cobalt in Pontiac badges... 50K, no problems, great gas milage, and goes like stink.  Very happy with the car..Son wants to dump his Civic for mine as he thinks it has better driving position and fewer blind spots. (on the last part I think he is nuts)
Course mine is a 5 spd, yellow and  has lots of get up and go... auto might be less than steller
To Libs and NDP

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2010, 07:23:39 AM »

Toyota: once you drive one, you'll never stop!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2010, 08:42:25 AM »

Toyota: once you drive one, you'll never stop!

Cruising along in traffic the other day with Momma in the passenger seat, she tells me to pass the slowsky in front of us.  I pointed out to her that was a bad idea, since the car in front of us was a Camry.  At least until I hear reports of them suddenly going into reverse, I think I'll stay behind them.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2010, 10:02:42 AM »

you're one smart cookie, Jerry.....you'll live a long life that way.   har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2010, 06:38:04 PM »

Okay this latest incident that is all over the news with the Toyota Prius has B.S. written all over it, that or i am missing something.. the guy says he cannot stop and eventually the CHP uses their vehicle to stop his?  What happened to just turning off the ignition and/or shifting it into nuetral...i am going to use that excuse next time i get pulled over for speeding while driving the wifes 4Runner !
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.