Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Author Topic: Chrome problems??!!  (Read 12335 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Chrome problems??!!
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2004, 05:27:54 PM »

The poll doesn't allow for "I have not had any chrome peel on my bike".  That's the one I'd have to click on.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2004, 05:39:08 PM »

The poll doesn't allow for "I have not had any chrome peel on my bike".
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2004, 10:40:49 PM »

Just heard from my dealer,new rear wheel is in. First one they've had. I told them it seemed a common from what i've seen on this site.The motor co. wasn't surprised. Only took about 10 days to get it.
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

Johnny

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2004, 11:16:53 PM »

Was cleaning the bike this morning prior to my ride and noticed that the front brake levor chrome was pealing!!  Had just spoken to my dealers service dept about the rear wheel pealing and now this.  Seems harley could have done a better job - this must be the reason they changed the wheels on the 05.

Johnnabal

« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2004, 12:46:08 PM »

Add me to the list. For peeling chrome and blown front turn signal. Bike was built on 5/4. 4000 miles.

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2004, 11:25:50 PM »

I haven't noticed any chrome peeling on my bike.  I'll keep my fingers crossed, but now that I mentioned it I'll probably find some the next time I wash it.
12" HD 440s, Freedom pipes, Powercommander, detachable king tourpack, Fastaire 8" windshield, custom made Corbin heated seat and Hogtunes!

MGB

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2004, 01:07:42 AM »

Hey all. New to the Forum and to the new '04 orange and black SEEGlide which I've had about 1900 miles now. I've been riding Harley's since 1978 and others long before that. This is my fourth new Harley. I haven't seen any chrome problems yet but rest assured I'll start looking closer. I've already been told by the dealer that Harley won't cover moisture in the gas guage, which sounds like a crock to me. Hopefully I won't find chrome problems and have to jump through hoops to get them corrected. It does sound hopeful that some Forum members have gotten positive results from their problems. Needless to say that this Forum is very informative and a great place to find out about other concerns. Some other concerns I have with mine are:
excessive rear brake dust,
moisture in gas guage,
clutch makes a shattering noise and grabs about half-way out when moving from a stop,
ticking noise that sounds like an exhaust leak,
spark knock upon accelerating from a stop.
It seems that a lot of folks have similar problems and maybe it might help us all on the forum to list all of our problems when we make a post on the Forum, nothing elaborate, just a quick note so we could show the dealers when we are trying to get some help with these problems. Collectively, we could all make the Harley Motor Co. aware of these concerns also. I know I'm just a newbie here and I've gone on long enough, but just don't like to hear of anyone spending around $30K for these motors and getting the brush off from some dealers. Thanks
Mike

'78 Vette
'78 Tri. Bonneville
'04 SEEG
'13 Ann. Tri-Glide
'02 883 (wife's)
'04 1200 (wife's)
'12 sWITCHBACK (wife's)

"RIDE WATCHA GOT"

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2004, 08:02:14 AM »

MGB,
The problem with moister in the fuel gauge has been around awhile. I have an 03 Ultra and had an 02 Ultra.  Both of those bikes and my 04 SEEG have/had the same problem.  And you're right, Harley won't replace them under warranty.  It seems like they would have corrected the problem by now.

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2004, 11:31:25 AM »

Well...after my 3500 mile trip, I had several issues that needed to be fixed.  I had the 5k service done, and they corrected all of my issues free of charge under warranty.

Here's what I had done...:
1. Air cleaner cover torqued off completely.  New air cleaner needed.  
2. New shifter levers...both had the splines broken off, and the front lever came loose in New Mexico.  That would have been ugly if I hadn't rigged it to work on the way home.
They said that the aluminum levers are not as hard as the steel shifter rod, so the aluminum splines wear away.  They said that this is normal.  But c'mon...6800 miles and new levers are needed?????
3. Starter clattering...tightened "jackshaft" nut and clatter seemingly went away.  Pike's Peak H-D master mechanic couldn't even hear the clatter.  Gave me some BS about SE starters are more powerful and that it is normal.  HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.  Idiots.
4. Squeak in fairing...they didn't even bother with it.  And really, it was last on my list.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2004, 12:05:41 PM »

This I too thought would have been the case...but the screws were loctite'd in.  I had to break them loose with the allen wrench, but the splines had still been stripped partially.  Here's my theory.  After years of riding different bikes, the last of which happened to be a 99 Road King, they fixed something in the tranny that doesn't allow you to shift down after 1st gear.  Used to be that I would get in the habit of checking my tranny position by extra downshifts, which were allowed in the old bikes.  Now, however, there is a tranny stop that doesn't allow the levers to move once you are in first gear.  This may have something to do with the strippage.  Dammit.  Dunno why they installed the stop.  I never had it before, and don't like it.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2004, 12:12:43 PM »

Be aware that there are no allen wrenches that fit these allen bolts in the toolkit that comes with the bike.  As a result, I had to ride a couple hundred miles home with my heel shifter loose.  I didn't use it (to prevent damage to the splines), but it sure was annoying to have to ride with it that way.  Was not loose enough to be able to slide off, just rattled.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2004, 01:10:27 PM »

Didn't even think of using the stock kit.  I always bring my own.  I guess I didn't realize it wouldn't fit.  Dumb.

dickie

« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2004, 02:58:24 PM »

Thanks for the heads up on the loose shifter arms!!!!!!!

Detailing my '03 SERK (7K miles) this morning. Checked the shifter arms and sure enuff the inner one (toe shifter), was loose.
Outer one which I don't use was fine. A bit off blue locktite and re-tourqed. Wonder if the MoCo would cover damage to the shifter spline if damaged by the loose arm?!? [smiley=biggthumpup.gif].

Dang good idea for yall to check your bikes!!

Thanks.... RP

mfgreen

« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2004, 09:20:52 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on the loose shifter arms!!!!!!!

Detailing my '03 SERK (7K miles) this morning. Checked the shifter arms and sure enuff the inner one (toe shifter), was loose.
Outer one which I don't use was fine. A bit off blue locktite and re-tourqed. Wonder if the MoCo would cover damage to the shifter spline if damaged by the loose arm?!? [smiley=biggthumpup.gif].

Dang good idea for yall to check your bikes!!

Thanks.... RP
Although this is a SEEG thread, the loose shifter arms were happening with the SERK's as well.  Had both fall off last summer.  Not able to find them.  The dealership replaced them immediately after a 40-50mile ride in 3rd.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2004, 02:04:35 PM »

Although this is a SEEG thread, the loose shifter arms were happening with the SERK's as well.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  All

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.