Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Are True Dual Headers louder?  (Read 11340 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Are True Dual Headers louder?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:03 AM »

What is the reason for the performance-increase when using the V&H power duals ?
 The smaller collecting header-chamber ?
Why ?
Less emission turbulences causes better flow ?
:cherry:

I can't personally explain why the (Power Duals) perform better than the straight (True Duals) other than to point you to several exhaust systems tests done in the last few years.

I've seen where they take the same bike and do dyno runs with it using several different exhaust systems.  The exhaust systems that usually show the very best dyno numbers have been the (two into one) systems.  I don't personally like the looks of a great big muffler on one side and zippo (nothing) on the other side!!!

So,  the (Power Duals) emulate that 2 into 1 configuration.   Both cylinders flow into the collector and then split back out into two different pipes and mufflers. :nixweiss:   

bbowler

• CVO1: 2010 SE street glide concord blue
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 09:05:52 PM »

so as one guy asked, if  you have tru-duals, will it sound like it is loping more and not as continuous in sound and will it be louder?  I ask because i removed my cat from the stock head pipes but may go to a set of tru dual headers. wonder if it will deepen the sound too?  Thanks,

Kool Rider

• 07 FLHTRSE3 SERK
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 09:52:40 PM »

so as one guy asked, if  you have tru-duals, will it sound like it is loping more and not as continuous in sound and will it be louder?  I ask because i removed my cat from the stock head pipes but may go to a set of tru dual headers. wonder if it will deepen the sound too?  Thanks,

Several folks said that a true dual would make the bike sound somewhat louder.  The rear cylinder exhaust no longer has two paths to go.  Each cylinder exhaust is pushed to only one muffler and I believe that you will hear a clearer and probably louder POP - POP - POP - POP at the rear of the bike.  I am not sure if it makes a big difference as the RPM goes up.   :nixweiss:

It is probably a completely different story for the 2-1-2 headers.   ???

Kool Rider
Southern Nevada

Make the best out of everyday because the future is unknown.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 09:26:40 AM »

IMO if ya want "lope" or potato-potato-potato,   you're pissing in the wind if you have EFI.  Newer bikes with efi have to idle at about 1000 rpms to maintain the electronics and the battery charged.

For (lope and potato),  you need to go back to a carbed bike with a performance cam and dial the idle down to around 650-700 rpm idle or so..........then you would have it. :2vrolijk_21:

bbowler

• CVO1: 2010 SE street glide concord blue
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2010, 08:03:50 PM »

I agree, kinda like trying to get a water cooled engine to sound like an air cooled.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2010, 06:01:54 PM »

IMO if ya want "lope" or potato-potato-potato,   you're pissing in the wind if you have EFI.  Newer bikes with efi have to idle at about 1000 rpms to maintain the electronics and the battery charged.

For (lope and potato),  you need to go back to a carbed bike with a performance cam and dial the idle down to around 650-700 rpm idle or so..........then you would have it. :2vrolijk_21:
I agree there is no way to get the EFI powered bike to sound like an EVO or even close to a Shovelhead.  As far as I know it cannot be done without a carb.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 11:35:54 PM »

As long as you are considering the power loss with true duals it might be easier to just pull one plug wire...cheeper and you get the lumpy sound you are after! :drink:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

Occam

• Full CVO Member
  • Power On The Cheap

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE in black & fire quartz
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 06:17:56 PM »

IMO if ya want "lope" or potato-potato-potato,   you're pissing in the wind if you have EFI.  Newer bikes with efi have to idle at about 1000 rpms to maintain the electronics and the battery charged.

For (lope and potato),  you need to go back to a carbed bike with a performance cam and dial the idle down to around 650-700 rpm idle or so..........then you would have it. :2vrolijk_21:

That's the truth; mine was a 110" Evo style aftermarket mill with a Mikuni 45mm HSR and a lumpy Andrews cam and Rinehart true duals. Nice snappy potato-potato at idle. The newer bikes sound like metrics to me. A terrible disappointment, but nothing a cam and exhaust can't help somewhat. FWIW, despite the tru-dual power loss mentioned, that bloated 11 year old barge of a Road King (with 94k miles on the odo) would embarrass my new CVO Fat Bob in a straight line. Power to spare.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:26:26 PM by Occam »

Occam

• Full CVO Member
  • Power On The Cheap

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE in black & fire quartz
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 03:30:18 AM »

I've managed to find an old video shot at night with my phone.
Oh. And it's shot 90 degrees counter clockwise.  :P
IIWII.

Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 24 queries.