Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Harley CEO receives $6.4 million package  (Read 2869 times)

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
Harley CEO receives $6.4 million package
« on: March 16, 2010, 01:32:43 AM »

Harley CEO receives $6.4 million package

http://www.ydr.com/ci_14678217

NEW YORK --The CEO of Harley-Davidson, who took over the motorcycle maker part way through 2009, reĀ“ceived a pay package valued at $6.4 million during his first eight months on the job, according to a regulatory filing.
Keith E. Wandell received a base salary of $650,025 from his start date of May 1 through the end of 2009, according to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

He received a bonus of $780,030 and stock and option awards valued at $4.9 million at the time of issue.

He also received other compensation worth $22,515, which includes a cash payment of $19,733 instead of perquisites.

Wandell, 60, replaced James L. Ziemer, who retired last year after 40 years with Harley-Davidson and four years as its CEO.

Before taking over Harley, Wandell was chief operating officer of the car battery and building ventilation systems maker Johnson Controls, which also has a hub in York County at the former site of York International.

Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Re: Harley CEO receives $6.4 million package
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 06:42:24 AM »

Dad? 

Wow must be nice.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Ultra2010

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:55:23 AM »

No wonder why our CVOs are near 40K, made in China T-shirts are $27 and a mega-mass produced shop manual is $60.   High times at Harley..... well for him anyway.  However, if I were in his boots, I'd take it too. (but I would mandate NO made in China chit).

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:28:22 AM »

When is enough money ENOUGH? As an CEO, I understand that you should get paid more, but come on!  6.4 MILLON. All these big CEOs are over the top. Oh yeah, just like Ultra said, MANDATE MADE IN THE USA! NO MORE OVERSEAS BS...  It kills me that our country is in bad shape and that someone works for only 6 months and makes that much. And he doesn't even ride!
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 08:39:05 AM »

On the job only 8 months, a period that has seen negative financial results btw, and somehow he has already "earned" over $5M in bonuses on top of a very generous salary?  What happened to that idea of tying compensation to long range results.  Or in this case, tying compensation to any results.

This is exactly what's wrong with big business in this country.  I guess if anyone wants a 2011 model CVO they better plan on ponying up an additional $5k for more cheap Chinese crap and fewer standard features; someone has to pay for the corporate largess.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:30:45 AM »

Seems a little early for such a large compensation package...where's the performance????

napalm
napalm

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 11:20:10 AM »

Exactly what is WRONG with this country.. the economy is shakey , the stock is weak, the products outdated and overpriced and rather than invest in making better products , just dump the $$ in a worthless Suit's pockets..

CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:28:58 AM »

The thing that gets me is

He hasn't done enough to be rewarded for a good job. I don't understand all this compensation before he does anything :nixweiss:

"If a puppy chit in your living room, what are you going to do, tell him good boy  :nixweiss:"

Reward good behavior
 discipline bad behavior

:soapbox: :drink:

Marty
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »

HUGE reward for under delivering.........where do I sign up?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 12:08:16 PM »

HUGE reward for under delivering.........where do I sign up?

They call this an "investment" for the future of the company! :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 12:18:47 PM »

Harley and other companies that manufacture high-end toys are in survival mode.  It was a lot easier being ceo in the 90's I applaud them for bringing in an outsider with a different mindset who just may be more consumer orientated than the single minded predecessors that had been coming up from the ranks.  If our favorite toy maker survives...pay the guy whatever it takes to keep him on the job.   
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »

Most likely a one-time stock option to lure him from an achieving company to Harley Davidson which is having to struggle a bit to keep the rubber down and the paint up. $215,000,000.00 a quarter struggle.

New CEO saying for 2009 "If not for me the losses would have been greater!"

Would a team coach get by saying "If not for me the Canadians would have beat us 4 to 2 instead of 3 to 2!"?

Seems like CEOs are becoming like T-ball players where they don't keep score (no winners, no losers) and everyone gets a well deserved trophy.
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 01:39:29 PM »

I just have a few questions. We all keep complaining about the quality of the product so,

#1 Why do we keep buying the CVO's?
#2 Why do we buy the $27, T-shirts?
#3 Why do we buy all the Chinese chrome?
#4 Why do we put in an extra $4/8k to make them run better?

When we answer these questions, then we'll know why he gets $6 mil.

The ONLY way anthing is going to change, is when we DON'T buy the chit!
The "TAZMUN"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 02:56:11 PM »

See my answer to your questions, highlighted in red.

I just have a few questions. We all keep complaining about the quality of the product so,

#1 Why do we keep buying the CVO's?   I bought only one, 5 years ago, no plans to buy another.
#2 Why do we buy the $27, T-shirts?     I haven't bought a Harley t-shirt or jacket since 2003, no plans to buy another.
#3 Why do we buy all the Chinese chrome?  Last accessory I bought came from V&H, bent and chromed in the USA.  I only buy from H-D if there is no alternative from the aftermarket.
#4 Why do we put in an extra $4/8k to make them run better?   Once purchased, we have no choice if we want something that runs and handles worth a chit.  However, I did not buy a SERT or other H-D parts, I spent my money with the aftermarket.  Follows with my philosophy of "f$%* me once, shame on you, f$%* me twice, shame on me".

When we answer these questions, then we'll know why he gets $6 mil.  Actually, people were letting MoCo stick it to them a long time ago, when this clown was still selling batteries for Johnson Controls.  He doesn't get credit for the stupidity of the customers, he just inherited them.

The ONLY way anthing is going to change, is when we DON'T buy the chit!   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

IF H-D were to reinvent themselves and become a modern consumer oriented purveyor of high quality and high value products that sold for competitive prices, I'd be happy to do business with them again.  Since I think the chances of that happening sometime during what's left of my motorcycling years is about zilch, however, I'm not making any near term plans for a purchase. 

IF this new CEO can reinvent the company and force it to become a modern consumer oriented purveyor of high quality and high value products that sell for competitive prices, THEN he would deserve the bonuses.  I don't believe in paying for just showing up for work, I believe in paying for real results sustained over time.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 03:14:26 PM »

Rumors on the news about possible takeover of Harley.
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 24 queries.