Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Harley CEO receives $6.4 million package  (Read 2870 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Harley CEO receives $6.4 million package
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »

Most likely a one-time stock option to lure him from an achieving company to Harley Davidson which is having to struggle a bit to keep the rubber down and the paint up. $215,000,000.00 a quarter struggle.

New CEO saying for 2009 "If not for me the losses would have been greater!"

Would a team coach get by saying "If not for me the Canadians would have beat us 4 to 2 instead of 3 to 2!"?

Seems like CEOs are becoming like T-ball players where they don't keep score (no winners, no losers) and everyone gets a well deserved trophy.
AMEN!!! When so many people are loosing jobs, not getting raises to reward someone w/this type of bonus when the company isn't in the best of times is totally ludicrous... whatever happened to pay for performance?? :soapbox:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 04:15:42 PM »

Hmmmm and rumors of a buy out.....This is getting interesting.
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 04:51:33 PM »

AMEN!!! When so many people are loosing jobs, not getting raises to reward someone w/this type of bonus when the company isn't in the best of times is totally ludicrous... whatever happened to pay for performance?? :soapbox:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

In the last 2 0r 3 decades, reducing expenses by cutting employees, etc drives up stock, which in America today = good performance from the Wall Street perspective
Any day on the bike is a good day.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 05:31:00 PM »

In the last 2 0r 3 decades, reducing expenses by cutting employees, etc  drives up stock, which in America today = good performance from the Wall Street perspective

Yes indeed, the modern version of the old "baffle 'em with bull chit" method, as opposed to earning your bonus by improving quality, improving market share, improving customer satisfaction, etc., all of which will lead to improved profits the legitimate way.  Now all we get from most corporations is higher profits from fewer sales, driven by firing all the non-essential personnel and cutting benefits.  The definition of non-essential tends to be those who don't sit around in conference or board rooms all day accomplishing nothing.  I still expect to see H-D eventually move a lot of the manufacturing off shore, like so many other's have done in the past decade or two.  They already buy the accessories, clothing, and various production parts from China; the next logical step is to have the Chinese take care of the manufacturing and assembly.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 06:04:53 PM »

In the last 2 0r 3 decades, reducing expenses by cutting employees, etc drives up stock, which in America today = good performance from the Wall Street perspective
And look what that has gotten us... so many people unemployed that can't afford to buy groceries no less luxury items.... sad state of affairs!!!

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Harleyrider_49

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 06:36:22 PM »

:o
I argue'd these point's somewhere else,got beat over the head,so I'll say it here....Unless this dude can create heaven & earth in 6 days,an rest on the 7th :nixweiss:......he ain' worth that kind'a money.....period.... :soapbox:

harley56

• Full CVO Member
  • 2004 FLHTCSE
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »

FWIW - As a life that revolves around Harley I have met this man and watched much that he has done already be put in place.  I can guarantee if you ask the dealers and many of the employees he is a refreshing change.  Don't know what that is worth, but I'm happy he's in there.  He is no-nonsense, questions everything and is not afraid to make changes, something we have not had for a very, very long time.  (Just one perons's perspective)  :)

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 10:12:23 PM »

He received a bonus of $780,030 and stock and option awards valued at $4.9 million at the time of issue.

I would think the option awards, stock valued at $4.9 million, was offered to hire him away from a good job where he must of been successful. I know of a Chief Information Officer (VP of IT) given over $7 million to go to HP from Dell. This doesn't sound out of the norm and I would have expected more than $4.9 million for CEO.

The $780,030 bonus means he must have accomplished a work requirement, whatever it was.  May be putting together a plan with all department heads to change to a different direction. One that the board must have bought into. The board of directors are usually made up of executives from a multitude of businesses outside of Harley Davidson as well as Harley Davidson. I doubt if they hired this guy without believing in his resume.

The biggest concern I hear on this site is in regard to pricing. Do people have suggestions for controlling prices?

Employee compensation is one of the biggest expenses in US businesses. It's not okay for employees to become maimed at work like in other developing countries where compensation is kept below $10.00 a day. Health Care is killing American Business competitiveness. Retirement costs that developing countries have none of. Quality of materials. Recycling/environmental costs. Its cheaper in the US because of Medical reasons to have a clean environment.

China's future economy is going to get it in the end when the cancers caused by metals in their water, air and food supplies catches up and the government has to decide whether to help these people medically or just let them die. People revolt when they start dieing.
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2010, 10:20:34 PM »

The biggest concern I hear on this site is in regard to pricing. Do people have suggestions for controlling prices?

The biggest concern I hear on this site is in regard to pricing.  Quality and Customer Service...    ???
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 09:13:10 AM »

I think the biggest concern around here is lack of quality and reliability, closely followed by lack of customer service and/or regard for the loyal customers of their highest priced products.  Sort of how it would be if your Lexus (aka higher priced Toyota) broke down every month, and when you called headquarters they fed you BS and basically blew you off.  Pricing only becomes a major concern when the customer no longer feels he is receiving fair value for the price.  Harley reached that point for me back in 2005, before the latest of their cheapening actions and quality snafu's.  If the product is excellent, you can command an excellent price.  If you persist in charging "excellent" prices for crap, however, that tends to be an unsustainable proposition that eventually leads to failure.

As for controlling prices, that can be done without screwing over the employee's and customer's, but it takes a little committment from those at the top.  Eliminating waste at all levels through targeted work groups is one very effective method, but it requires management allowing those who really understand the workings of the company to have meaningful input and some local control.  There are also many ways to legitimately reduce production and part costs through proper engineering, something that also hasn't been a Harley strong suit.  They have plenty of folks on the payroll, but I tend to wonder if they are just incompetent or perhaps management hasn't allowed them to do the job properly.  All I can say is, when they price a relatively simple vehicle like a motorcycle in the same range as a much more complex small to midsize car, and still not make humongous profits, there is some serious waste somewhere.  I suggest starting at the top heavy management area in the search for cost savings, but of course management isn't going to jump all over that one.  Much better to just eliminate workers and buy more crap overseas.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

TangleEyes

• Misplaced Texan

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 12:03:46 PM »

.  I still expect to see H-D eventually move a lot of the manufacturing off shore, like so many other's have done in the past decade or two.  They already buy the accessories, clothing, and various production parts from China; the next logical step is to have the Chinese take care of the manufacturing and assembly.

Jerry

And that's when I'll be done with them.

With that said, I agree with alot of the posts that have been made here. If you as a company want to charge me 25k - 35K for a nice new bike, the least you need to be doing is making sure that the product I'm buying is reliable. If for some reason it is not, then you are obligated to make sure it gets that way. Before buying this bike, I simply didn't have the time to keep up with how HD was doing. Life was busy kicking my butt.
With rumors of some kind of buyout floating about, 6.4 Mil seems exorbitant for letting the company get to where it's attractive as a financial target. He may have done alot for the way things were being done within the ranks, but he's going to have to play the game a little smarter for my liking to deserve this kind of scratch.

Scott

CBW

• 1K CVO Member
  • HOG,AMA,ABATE
    • PA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • CVO2: 2009 FXDFSE
    • CVO3: 1984 FXE,1964 FLH
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 03:41:13 PM »

That crap makes NO sense AT ALL!!!
RIDE SAFE and Never RIDE faster than your guardian angel can fly.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 11:21:18 PM »

Can you imagine the CEO and maybe even Willie G going on that show Undercover Boss. Were they work the front lines at various parts of a business undercover and even have to live on a starting salary for a week in a cheap motel. They could work at the factory, customer service to hear complaints, and maybe some dealerships too.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 08:39:30 AM »

Can you imagine the CEO and maybe even Willie G going on that show Undercover Boss. Were they work the front lines at various parts of a business undercover and even have to live on a starting salary for a week in a cheap motel. They could work at the factory, customer service to hear complaints, and maybe some dealerships too.

IMHO, all the executives should have to spend one day a month manning the customer service phones and dealing with all the crap.  Might give them a little insight into the real world, and a little incentive to make better decisions regarding quality versus squeezing the last penny 'til it bleeds.  Or maybe not, but it sure would be fun to screw with them on the phone wouldn't it?

Jerry

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 09:37:15 AM »

Sometimes new management is brought in to make a company attractive for a takeover.  They cut expenses, people, assets because the market.
cap is too high.

I'm going to take a lot of heat for this next statement, but please give it some thought.

As much as i Believe no one person needs to make $6 million in a year, or over one million in a year:
This guy at least employs thousands of people and has a huge impact on the economy.  On the other hand, sports players getting $20 million a year to play a child's game is completely mad.  And there are more sports players and celebrities than CEOs in that pay range.

Sorry, but it's the way I've always felt.

Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.