Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: WARNING - Bike unstable with kickstand down and front tire pointed straight  (Read 6830 times)

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible

I always wash it up on my J&S jack which is very stable. Not only do I not have to worry about tipping it but it makes detailing the wheels much easier. BTW - how much pressure are you putting on the bike during a wash? My detailing process is almost totally hands free: spray everything with simple green (full strength), rinse thoutoughly, rinse again then dry with a leaf blower (one I have dedicated for the bike with an air filter). Once that is done some light touch up drying with microfiber cloth and then Formula 113 wax (also using a light touch). I never rub the bike with any kind of heavy pressure.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Graybeard

• Junior CVO Member
  • Patriot Guard Rider

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Sharon)
Re: WARNING - Bike unstable with kickstand down and front tire pointed straight
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 11:30:42 AM »

MikeV

Quick question. Like you I'm planning to by a J&S jack for all the various reasons, but is the low clearance of the CVO softail an issue. The specs said you need 4", but I think the CVO specs listed the clerance a tad under 4" . The guys at J&S don't think it is a problem, and even said they would pay the shipping cost back to them if it was.

Just want to be sure before I order.

Ride Safe

Mickey

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »

I purchased an ATV jack from Sears (Craftsman) on sale, several years ago and have a short stool too. Its amazing how much easier it is to detail that chrome with the bike 12-18" off the ground. Good idea to check that jiffy stand though.

Guilty as charged.  I had her up on the jack installing the floor board extention kit.  Kick stand had to go up and out of the way.  Dam if i did not forget to put kick stand back down as i lower it from the jack.   it was like slow motion as i tried to keep her from going over by holding the throttle side.   :oops:    I watched in horror as she went down. 

I was lucky  enough to have just installed the saddle bag guards a week before.    Not one scratch has ever been found.   It took me three trys to get her back on her feet again.  Amazing how much strength one can muster in a crisis.      :2vrolijk_21:
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

Wild Card

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 12:27:12 PM »

Guilty as charged.  I had her up on the jack installing the floor board extention kit.  Kick stand had to go up and out of the way.  Dam if i did not forget to put kick stand back down as i lower it from the jack.   it was like slow motion as i tried to keep her from going over by holding the throttle side.   :oops:    I watched in horror as she went down. 

I was lucky  enough to have just installed the saddle bag guards a week before.    Not one scratch has ever been found.   It took me three trys to get her back on her feet again.  Amazing how much strength one can muster in a crisis.      :2vrolijk_21:

For those that haven't had this experience or know-how, there is a very easy way to lift a bike on either side.  I learned this in a state safety course years ago.

1.  Put it in gear.
2.  Put your butt/lower back in middle of seat (back is to the bike).
3.  Turn handlebars into the tank and grab with one hand.  Place other hand someplace sturdy.
4.  Put your feet close together and push the bike to lift it up.  Simple once you've found the fulcrum point.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 12:48:08 PM »

I was lucky  enough to have just installed the saddle bag guards a week before.    Not one scratch has ever been found.       :2vrolijk_21:

VRO, are you saying you have saddlebag guards?? On your CVO convertible???   Please advise.....  Porky

VRODDAVE

• Senior CVO Member
  • Semper fi 73-77

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE ANV
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE - Crashed 7/31/2015. May she rest in pease
    • CVO3: 2003 VROD - sold
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 12:54:39 PM »

no, no , no ..  i dont have  a CVO convertible ...  I was comenting on the fact that if you dont make sure the kick stand is down when taking it down off the jack that it falls over ..  and that i was very luck to have had the crash bars recently installed to protect my baby .. hahahaah  thats all ...    nothing to to with CVO convertibles ...    ;D
2018 FLHTKSE ANV
Dominator prewired meathooks 10" (Nice, but shoulda got the 12's)
Dynojet Power Vision
GTS Radio upgrade
AG ATX-30-HD lithium battery
CoolFlow fan
Alloyboltz 12 point G8
INNOVV K2 X 2 DVR 4 Camera
AIM Clutch Slave

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 03:08:50 PM »

Gotcha.  was concerned there for a moment, as this appears to be a convertible issue even when on a jiffy stand.  Just when the wheel is forward or to the right.  But then you started playing my song about the guards................  Glad your ride didn't get damaged.  You can get more guards if you scratch them.  I actually almost had the same thing happen to me but caught it at the verrrrrrrry last moment.  Scary!

dcigar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLSTSE2
    • CVO2: 1996 FXSTC
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »

saturday in so called sunny melbourne....... springtime and the rain has not stopped for two days,
the new convertible is sitting in the garage with 4kms on the clock, i have worked out how cool the ipod is and so i am listening to music using the acc button, 2 days i the only ride i have done is down the driveway into the garage,
i did notice however that the jiffy stand is extended because of the forward floor boards, which iimho is the reason it does sit straighter than my fxstc parked next to it, so i am purposely putting the bars to the left so it leans a fraction more,
cant wait for the rain  to stop but its still great being out here lookink at all the stuff that i keep on discovering

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 09:13:35 PM »

Well, DC, when life serves you lemons..................you know..............put your keyfob in your pocket and invite everybody to come sit on and around it and have yourselves a kickstand party!!  and knock back a couple cold ones for us here in the states.  Better, drier days are coming your way..........We're just getting ready to go into the coldest part of the year here and I'm not exactly looking forward to it.  today would have been the perfect day to go for a ride.  Maybe tomorrow or Sunday for sure. 

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2010, 12:39:46 AM »

My wife's Softail Deluxe is right at the tipping point with the front wheel straight or turned to the right.  I think it's just the nature of a lowered softail.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 24 queries.