Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: SESG Paint Issues?  (Read 4621 times)

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
Re: SESG Paint Issues?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 10:22:14 AM »

Does anybody use the old 'California duster'?
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 10:37:38 PM »

Does anybody use the old 'California duster'?

NOPE!!  A high end microfiber cloth is the absolute best!!

CVOTequila

• Squee's Revenge
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 11:59:21 PM »

NOPE!!  A high end microfiber cloth is the absolute best!!

Also, use a microfiber cloth with some of  H-Ds new cleaner/polish it is a great waterless wax style product with easy application and removal. 
Mods:
Mirror Chrome Agitator Wheels
Freedom Racing Duals
C&C Seat (Squeeter's Revenge)
Hawg Wired "Double Shots"
Hawg Wired Tweeters
Boogey Lights Fireworks
Kury License Plate
HD Chrome Accents on gauges/radio
Tune Trapper Antenna (hidden)
Riders Claw
Footboard/Passenger Extensions
SE Shift Linkage
Joker Machine Saddlebag Latches
Ness Flame Grips (billet)

Pete

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 10:31:34 AM »

Guys try Turtle Wax Express Shine with a microfiber cloth. I have the CC and the swirls especially on the rear end of the bags were really bad. I wondered if I used a dirty cloth to wash or wax the bike (could not believe I was that stupid) anyway this stuff works and its fast.

My buddy recommends TW One Step spray as well he gets it at Autozone haven't got there yet but I do recommend the express shine.

I am getting my inner fairing painted is there anyway we can get a paint code from HD?

P

vettster82

• CVO1: 2003 CVO Road King
    • CVO2: 2010 CVO Street Glide Spiced Rum
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2010, 08:38:08 AM »

It is the dark color. Putting the bike in the sun will not harden the clear coat. All CVO's are painted by a independent contractor, not Harley. They may not be using the same clear coat as Harley does. Have you tried using Mequires #7 show car glaze? You need to fill in the swirl with polish or glaze. Wax will not help. Several coats of #7 and your paint will look great.  :)

worshipduder

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 09:20:54 AM »

I havent had that problem. but I am REALLY particular about how I detail. Meguiare's only. wet rag first, constantly rinsing. then Meguire's detailing, then the ultimate wax. in fact i had swirls on the saddlebag covers when the bike was delivered and I was like, geez it's true what everyone says. they came right out without even using scratchx or swirlx

mj
2010 FLXHSE Candy Concord
V&H Power Duals
V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons
TTS Mastertune
Feuling Reaper 574 Camchest Kit
Feuling Oil Pump
Dyno'd at 116 HP & 118 TQ
C&C Flame Stitched Seat
Wild 1 Chubby 575s
PM Contour Touring Mirrors
J&M 7.25 Speakers & 250 Watt Amp
Hogtunes Hogpod
Riders Claw
HD Contoured Heated Hand Grips
Wicked Image Flame Shift Linkage
Klock Werks Flare 8.5
HD Electra-Glo™ Light Pod Kit
Kury License Plate

MY2NDCVO

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 03:54:42 PM »

This Harley Paint Job has been the worst for me with swirl marks, my dealer told me this is all they use on all the CVO"S that come in. It has worked well for me.
http://www.californiacustom.com/mron_glass.html

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 04:19:18 PM »

This Harley Paint Job has been the worst for me with swirl marks, my dealer told me this is all they use on all the CVO"S that come in. It has worked well for me.
http://www.californiacustom.com/mron_glass.html

It got the swirl marks out??? And is the paint still so "fragile" about new marks every time something touches it?

dkflhxse

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »

As background, I have maintained outstanding finishes on my cars (from collectors to daily drivers) using Griot's garage products.  I've used all kinds of competitive products through the years and I know everyone has something that they believe is the best, but Griot's products, service, and results are top notch.  However, I do NOT use their products on my Harley's.

The paint on my Spiced Rum is definitely softer than previous Harley's I've owned.  However, I have found that Harley products actually do a very good job of keeping the finish in top shape once you properly polish and glaze (several coats).  First make sure your bike is clean - a good washing is the only way to start.  Use Harley wash or a high quality automotive car wash detergent.  After your bike is good and dry - I blow dry and then blot dry with a terry towel - use their polish and glaze products (do not apply a lot of pressure).  Apply 2-3 coats of glaze.  It should be looking pretty good at this point, but I will then go over the whole bike with Harley Gloss.  This will reduce surface static and will make your bike less prone to attract dust.

After a ride, I will use Harley's bug remover:

1. Spray it on
               2. Place a soft terry towel - soaked in warm water and wrung out - over the area you're "debugging"
               3. Do not wipe, just let it sit there and soak for about a minute
               4. Lightly wipe the area as you remove the towel - "lightly" being the keyword here
               5. Blot dry with a clean terry towel
               6. Use Harley Gloss to buff the surface - again light pressure is the key - do not use a lot of elbow grease or you will create swirl marks

When necessary to wash the bike, do so with the correct products so the glaze is not removed and the surface is not scratched.  You can polish selected areas as needed.  Then apply another coat of glaze, Harley Gloss if you're really fussy as I am and you should be good to go.

Never clean a bike after a ride with just water - distilled or not - it has no lubricant and will swirl the surface.  Never apply too much pressure.  Most products will do the job just fine without excessive elbow grease.  And never use a more aggressive polishing product than is needed.  Finally, always use clean towels - micro fiber or terry.  Never use fabric softener when washing your polishing towels and always rinse twice when machine washing them.

I have put tens of thousands of miles on each of my bikes and always maintained them as above.  Every one of my bikes has looked as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it.  It just takes the correct products and the right technique.  Oh yes, and some time as well but for me it's very good therapy.

Ride on!!!!!!!!!   :2vrolijk_21:

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 07:28:51 PM »

As background, I have maintained outstanding finishes on my cars (from collectors to daily drivers) using Griot's garage products.  I've used all kinds of competitive products through the years and I know everyone has something that they believe is the best, but Griot's products, service, and results are top notch.  However, I do NOT use their products on my Harley's.

The paint on my Spiced Rum is definitely softer than previous Harley's I've owned.  However, I have found that Harley products actually do a very good job of keeping the finish in top shape once you properly polish and glaze (several coats).  First make sure your bike is clean - a good washing is the only way to start.  Use Harley wash or a high quality automotive car wash detergent.  After your bike is good and dry - I blow dry and then blot dry with a terry towel - use their polish and glaze products (do not apply a lot of pressure).  Apply 2-3 coats of glaze.  It should be looking pretty good at this point, but I will then go over the whole bike with Harley Gloss.  This will reduce surface static and will make your bike less prone to attract dust.

After a ride, I will use Harley's bug remover:

1. Spray it on
               2. Place a soft terry towel - soaked in warm water and wrung out - over the area you're "debugging"
               3. Do not wipe, just let it sit there and soak for about a minute
               4. Lightly wipe the area as you remove the towel - "lightly" being the keyword here
               5. Blot dry with a clean terry towel
               6. Use Harley Gloss to buff the surface - again light pressure is the key - do not use a lot of elbow grease or you will create swirl marks

When necessary to wash the bike, do so with the correct products so the glaze is not removed and the surface is not scratched.  You can polish selected areas as needed.  Then apply another coat of glaze, Harley Gloss if you're really fussy as I am and you should be good to go.

Never clean a bike after a ride with just water - distilled or not - it has no lubricant and will swirl the surface.  Never apply too much pressure.  Most products will do the job just fine without excessive elbow grease.  And never use a more aggressive polishing product than is needed.  Finally, always use clean towels - micro fiber or terry.  Never use fabric softener when washing your polishing towels and always rinse twice when machine washing them.

I have put tens of thousands of miles on each of my bikes and always maintained them as above.  Every one of my bikes has looked as good the day I sold it as the day I bought it.  It just takes the correct products and the right technique.  Oh yes, and some time as well but for me it's very good therapy.

Ride on!!!!!!!!!   :2vrolijk_21:

Very good post.
 I to normally use all Groits products on most of my rigs. I found out and I believe that their wax is a little to hard for that soft paint and they will tell you that. I happen to live near their home base. They I use Meguiar's Gold Class. It seems to be a little softer. If I had Harley wax here I would use it. I did use the Groit's one step sealant on my rummy and it did a fantastic job and it helps keep the swirl marks from reappearing. Groit's also has the best microfiber towels that you can buy, plus a MUST have wax removal towel. They also have a special detergent for them that works second to none.

TJ

2010SSRS

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 03:21:46 PM »

might i suggest Zaino products found at zainobros.com. 

we just sold our 2010 Camaro and 2007 Street Glide.  the Camaro was Inferno Orange and the Glide was all Black.  over the winter i followed the Zaino directions and must have put 40 coats total with sealer on both.  no white residue, swirl removal polish, show polish, sealers, cleaners, car washes, clay bars, etc.

after washing this summer, i would just use the Zaino spray on wipe off polish.  right after washing the paint and chrome still felt like it did after the 40 coat build up!

the bugs fall off with only water............it's pricey but well worth it!  the swirl removal polish rocks on the black!
TR590 Cams - Hi Comp Pistons - Stage 3 Heads - V&H Dresser Duals - V&H Hi Outputs - Tuner - Custom Map - 104hp/121tq

faattyvrod

• Ahhh the open road
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 10:21:42 AM »

I use and love the Wizard product line. Mist and shine and Shine Master.. Coming from the auto collision industry I have found these products to be very easy to apply and take back off. And I get a show room shine every time.

I have not experienced the soft paint, swirl mark issues I have been reading about. My Candy Concord doesn't have a swirl mark on it, anywhere.

Faatty

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 10:56:43 AM »

Using Glare Products and microfiber cloths on the Tequila with Excellent results
Glare Professional polish and Glare spider to remove swirls and light scratches.

http://www.glare.com/ecart/products.asp
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

LoneCustom

• Junior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride!

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Glide in Crystal Citron
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 04:46:26 PM »

Using Glare Products and microfiber cloths on the Tequila with Excellent results
Glare Professional polish and Glare spider to remove swirls and light scratches.

http://www.glare.com/ecart/products.asp
I was introduced to Glare here on these pages - I've used it on my '10 SEUG  and it seems to be very good at preventing the swirlies.  One thing I do is carry a small spray bottle with me that has Speed Shine (Griot's Garage) in it.  I find this is compatible with the Glare coat and works great for taking off bug juice and minor dust/dirt.  It also seems to work better than HarleyGloss (which always seemed a bit oily to me).  Even though I look ridiculously fussy, I try to wipe her down after every ride.  It really stretches the time between washes. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 04:48:33 PM »

I was introduced to Glare here on these pages - I've used it on my '10 SEUG  and it seems to be very good at preventing the swirlies.  One thing I do is carry a small spray bottle with me that has Speed Shine (Griot's Garage) in it.  I find this is compatible with the Glare coat and works great for taking off bug juice and minor dust/dirt.  It also seems to work better than HarleyGloss (which always seemed a bit oily to me).  Even though I look ridiculously fussy, I try to wipe her down after every ride.  It really stretches the time between washes. 
Nothing wrong w/that... I do the same.... you'd be surprised how many others do it too. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 25 queries.