Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dash lights problem......  (Read 3660 times)

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
dash lights problem......
« on: April 16, 2010, 03:54:22 PM »

I like bouncing these new problems off the forum to see how many other people are having the same issues I am.   Lately, I have been experiencing issues with 2 LED lights becoming intermittent to the point I may have a contact issue.  The red key is staying on a majority of the time while riding.  It is to tell you there is something wrong with the security system.  And of course you're supposed to take it to the dealer.  Bike still starts and runs with the problem.   Other led light that is giving me fits is the 6th gear green light.  Probably 50% of the time it goes out when the bike is indeed in 6th gear.  Sometimes I have to double check it is still in 6th gear because there is no green light.  But it is.  Anybody else having these intermittent problems??    Wonder if it is a switch down at the gear selector or if it is in the receiver part inside the console?   

skiers

Re: dash lights problem......
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 10:32:02 PM »

I am also having the same issue with my 6 gear light. The only difference is mine seems to only come on when it wants to. I am having it looked at when I have the 1000 miles service done.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:41:25 PM »

There is one sensor called the Vehicle Speed Sensor. It is located at the tranny that sends a signal to the ECM for two things...

1. Speedometer

2. 6th gear light and cruise (if you have cruise)

If you have a TTS and flashed your ConV then you need to change your Primary Ratio, in the tuning constant table, from 1.353 to 1.330. This will make the 6th gear light work properly with 6th gear or you could have a bad VSS sensor.

I don't know about the security light.

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »

Have you checked the error codes on the spedo?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 08:58:18 AM »

Have you changed any bulbs to LED's?? That may be causing the security light issue. This may be 2 separate problems :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 09:59:37 AM »

Assuming the bike is stock, which we can't tell from your post, and assuming the 6th gear light is working on occassion, I think I'd be looking for a wiring problem (as in an intermittent short or open circuit).  The operation of the light should be very simple; the ECM turns it on or off based on a simple formula using engine speed and road speed.  Assuming no change to gearing, tire size, or to the ECM, I would bet on a poor connection somewhere between the ECM and the light.

As for the security light, it could also be a wiring problem, but the first thing to check is to see if any diagnostic trouble codes have been set.  You can have a security system fault that won't keep you from starting the bike.  Maybe your system is trying to tell you that it isn't working at all. :nixweiss: 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 08:20:10 AM »

ok, here is an update to my issues with the dash lights.  Bike is comletely stock other than add-ons of one sort or another.  (not sure how to answer that question as we all add different things.....but nothing that should make these issues appear).  bike has now 4300 miles on it.  Since last report the 6th gear light has calmed down and comes on and goes off when supposed to.  Last week they replaced a clutch switch that was faulty and making the bike not sure if the clutch was engaged or not so the security light would come on all the time.  Now it comes on and goes out on start-up.  And if disturbed, the siren goes off like supposed to.  However, I cannot start the bike without the fob in close proximity to the bike.  Can't start it using my security code only.  So, the dealer is consulting Harley to figure out what is the defect.  They suspect the TSSM turn signal security module which is a plug and play item.  Hopefully before sturgis, they will get this figured out.  Otherwise, the bike is working correctly at this time.  I still have the same couple issues most everybody else has such as running hot (bike shuts down the rear jug and goes on one cylinder only, even though it (the air) isn't that hot.....but I guess the bike is....), bike runs quite lean but still operates ok, and a slight tick-tick-tick-tick when idling and the bike is quite warm.........this is irritating more than anything; maybe switching to a thicker oil may stop that from happening......not sure.  I'm running the syn 3 that the bike came with.  anyway, that's the report.   People really think the bike is cool when displayed with all the quick-release stuff off and beside the bike.........truly a different bike.........and I'm starting to warm up to that aspect of the bike as well.........Pork

porkypig

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 02:33:49 PM »

Well, it has been about a month since Harley local dealership tried replacing different hardware on the bike to end the security system problem.  The plagueing problem was that I had no blinking light on the dash every few seconds to tell me the bike was armed.  MoCo decided they should erase the program and download it again.  So 3 weeks later they tried it.  No go.  So, local dealership decided to replace the speedometer as a last resort as they had replaced everything else to no avail.  So, last Friday they had a new speedometer and changed it out.  Wal-lah!  It works now.  Now, I have the flashing light, and I can insert my PIN to disarm the bike without the FOB.  Simple as that.  500 miles without a hitch since then.  Pork.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 03:55:46 PM »

I just noticed on a ride this weekend that my security light was on solid. After a restart, it went away. 6th gear light seems to work OK so far. I do have a ThunderMax Autotune.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 24 queries.