Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Anybody experienced this?  (Read 3221 times)

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
Re: Anybody experienced this?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 10:58:12 PM »

Great.  Happy it worked.  Now, go ride.  After we sober up. :drink: :drink: :drink:
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 01:01:21 AM »

Weird - Just check it with a meter. The positive should be the center terminal and the ground the outer socket.

The positive is at the outer socket of the cigarette lighter at mine , i do know 100% because the amp is connected there .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 01:02:31 AM »

Drinking or not, you're a genius.  ;D  Polarity was reversed on the lighter socket and evidently the lighter itself doesn't care.  The phone charges from the socket and the detector works now that I've swapped the polarity.  I didn't want to mess with the power supplies themselves as they worked in the cars.  Less than 15 minutes to pull the fairing out enough to reverse the wires and put it all back together.  Might have been less than 10 if I didn't keep dropping the bottom screws.  Now, where is that beer...  :drink:

Thanks to everyone for their help.

So you really changed the polarity of the lighter ?

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Stardust
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 07:14:37 AM »

So you really changed the polarity of the lighter ?

Yes.  When the lighter socket didn't work for power supplies it was positive to the outside socket and negative to the center.  I changed the wires to positive center and everything works fine now.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 07:57:28 AM »

Yes.  When the lighter socket didn't work for power supplies it was positive to the outside socket and negative to the center.  I changed the wires to positive center and everything works fine now.

This will be my next job , maybe tomorrow at "father day " here in germany ( rain , no weather to ride - damn) removing the outer fairing and change the polarity of the lighter . 

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 01:09:33 PM »

Yes, the proper polarity is positive to the center, and the ground is the outer socket.  The reason the cig lighter works is, it doesn't matter which direction you essentially short and heat the element. However, for all 12v devices, the polarity must be correct.

That said, this must be an inadvertant production line thing, as every new touring rig I've tested or used for a demo or rented was correct? Weird??
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Jeevz

• Junior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Stardust
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 05:39:44 PM »

That said, this must be an inadvertant production line thing, as every new touring rig I've tested or used for a demo or rented was correct? Weird??

My money is on the dealer who installed the painted inner fairing switching the wires when they put it all back together.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 20 queries.