Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: FLSTSE running hot - Help!  (Read 6882 times)

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
FLSTSE running hot - Help!
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:08:59 AM »

Okay, I have read many threads on this and it has just caused me to be more confused. I had Vance and Hines Big Radius 2-2 Pipes put on a few weeks back. Now the bike runs hot. Only had the pipes put on, no tuner, download, etc. All I want is to have the bike run cool. What have you all, the ones who own a FLSTSE, done? Thanks in advance!

Kisscorky
Live To Win!

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
Re: FLSTSE running hot - Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 11:16:18 AM »

Francis,

The pipes are only a part of the solution. You need to tune the bike properly to get it to run cooler. Do a search in this forum on the TTS that many of us are using on the FLSTSE ConV and it will tell the rest of the story.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

newdep

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:00:55 PM »

Really need a tuner, I know the dealers say you can throw pipes on and the ECM will adjust. However, the bike runs lean from the factory so it is just adjusting back to that lean condition.

I have the SEPST.... most on here have the TTS, either one will cool the bike down and will really wake up the engine.

Big Sky Fan

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:19:56 PM »

Check this out..... http://bigskyfan.tripod.com/

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 03:21:13 PM »

MikeV and Newdep,

Alright, so if I purchase the TTS Mastertuner kit and get maps from Mr. Wizard or MikeV, how difficult is this to do myself?

Hookup the tuner?
Download the TTS software?
Install maps to laptop?

What is VE?

Is job then complete?

How much does the TTS Mastertuner kit cost vs. having a HD dealer do it?

Kisscorky
Live To Win!

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 01:02:48 PM »

I got the ThunderMax AutoTune.  I love it. It was easy to install and easy to set up a base map. It is now tuning itself to my driving style and engine. The only downside is that it's expensive.  I was able to get one for $809.00. What's nice is it runs better and is much cooler. Also if you add other mods later, you don't have to pay someone to tune it. It's quite easy with their software. So far I only installed slip on mufflers from V&H. If I add a Cam later or switch to 2 in 1 exhaust I just have to load another base map.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »

I had Rush slipons installed when I bought the bike. The dealer said there would be no problems and that I didn't have to change a
thing. WRONG!!!!!! The bike ran so hot that the rear cylinder would shut down. I had a SE Race tuner installed and that cured the problem. The dealer also said that if I changed anything later the tuner would pick it up and change itself.

I changed the pipes to Rinehart staggered 2 x 2 and the bike still runs great.

The tuner and installation was 530.00

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 08:37:29 AM »

I had Rush slipons installed when I bought the bike. The dealer said there would be no problems and that I didn't have to change a
thing. WRONG!!!!!! The bike ran so hot that the rear cylinder would shut down. I had a SE Race tuner installed and that cured the problem. The dealer also said that if I changed anything later the tuner would pick it up and change itself.

I'd sure like to see a picture of your ConV with Rineharts.
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 10:36:43 AM »

Uhhh... hummmmm...errrrrr

I really don't mean to be picky or start an argument but...  uhhhhh   try changing cams and see how truthful this is. Have your heads worked and see if this guy had his fingers crossed behind his back when he said this or tongue in cheek.

Yeah, the ECM will use it's adaptive learning but the ECM only has a small area in which it will adapt. Once you get a good tune it may adapt for a different AC or muffler but not much else after that.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 10:59:54 AM »

MikeV and Newdep,

Alright, so if I purchase the TTS Mastertuner kit and get maps from Mr. Wizard or MikeV, how difficult is this to do myself?

Hookup the tuner?
Download the TTS software?
Install maps to laptop?

What is VE?

Is job then complete?

How much does the TTS Mastertuner kit cost vs. having a HD dealer do it?

Kisscorky

Either Doc 1 or Steve @ fullsac will sell you the TTS around 385.00/390.00. The TTS tune can be done yourself without a Dyno operator. If you want I can send you the new manual for doing the VTunes written by Doc. VE stands for Volumetric Efficiency. This is the first thing you must do before any other tuning of your bike. It's real easy, there is only the fear of mucking up which is pretty hard to do. Shoot me your email in a PM and I'll send you the VTune guide so you can mull it over.  (if mike v can do it, it must be easy...  LOL)

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 05:27:54 PM »

Uhhh... hummmmm...errrrrr

I really don't mean to be picky or start an argument but...  uhhhhh   try changing cams and see how truthful this is. Have your heads worked and see if this guy had his fingers crossed behind his back when he said this or tongue in cheek.

Yeah, the ECM will use it's adaptive learning but the ECM only has a small area in which it will adapt. Once you get a good tune it may adapt for a different AC or muffler but not much else after that.

I understand and I really have no intention of changing cams or doing head work, if anything I was mostly interested in changing the breather  sometime down the road.

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 05:29:50 PM »

I'd sure like to see a picture of your ConV with Rineharts.
I tried attaching a pix but I keep getting error messages. I think the camera takes too large of a picture. I'll try something else.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 05:30:27 PM »

I understand and I really have no intention of changing cams or doing head work, if anything I was mostly interested in changing the breather  sometime down the road.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 04:55:39 PM »

(if mike v can do it, it must be easy...  LOL)

That's wrong on so many levels...
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Kisscorky

• Full CVO Member
  • Feeding a Cat!
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 05:56:15 PM »

The real statement should be if I can do it then a monkey could do it. Mr. Wizard got your manual. Will read tonight to get a better understanding of this process. Still lovin' the FLSTSE!

Kisscorky
Live To Win!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 20 queries.