Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Disgusted  (Read 8049 times)

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
Re: Disgusted
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2010, 07:41:37 PM »

Update:
Initial denial from SM. Noise is normal. Managing partner happened to ask if I was happy. That allowed me to express my displeasure with these new heads without referencing original problem. SM. rode bike (noise is greatly enhanced under load) and took it into dyno room to listen with stethoscope. He claims to have narrowed sound to rear head. He had me convinced to ride it a while longer. Managing partner asked me about resolution and I told him and went into the store. As I proceeded back by his office he called me in with the SM. He basically told the SM to open the boxes back up and find the noise. He said that if the noise was not there before it should not be there now! Have an appointment for Tuesday.
The actual conversations this morning have strengthened my resolve to seek another location for future work on my ride if this ever gets resolved.
My wife has an 08 also(the black one) manufactured late spring of 08. No issues whatsoever with hers. SM made statement noise from mine is normal and I responded with "Does this mean the other one is abnormal?" He then went to the story of the stars being in alignment, day of manufacture and assembly,
etc., etc. Managing partner finally told him to fix it because after 400 miles it won't fix itself and don't worry about MoCo warranty he would eat the cost himself. Maybe good cop bad cop but it sounds like progress.
  :soapbox: Sounds more like a conversation that should have happened around your 2nd trip into dealership. I know you like your bike, I hope they can get it repaired correctly. I don't know if there issues have been from lack of ability or desire to help the customer. Check out my issues with bad dealer in Worth HD Gladstone MO. Its under customer service topic on this forum. I was just trying to buy a bike. Good luck, keep us posted... 
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »

Picked up bike Wednesday a.m., short ride home. Short ride Thursday,noise is back! Called SM and agreed to ride it while on vacation (two week trip). He swears that they clearanced rocker boxes, and I think they did , just not far enough. When they pulled the covers Tuesday there were marks where the springs were hitting the boxes. Sounds like something is moving around in there trying to adjust itself to the new head geometry. MoCo just came out with "new" design for lower boxes that are already clearanced for 09 and 10 heads. Go figure.
I guess for now it's "GO or BLOW". Wish me luck on the road trip.
I have made arrangements for a local independent shop to start doing my work for me when I get back.He is MoCo certified for warranty work and seems to have a decent reputation. Will probably switch to either Amsoil or Royal Purple also.
We have already spent over 3,000 bucks at the dealership this year not counting the warranty work, Too bad for them!

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2010, 01:36:49 PM »

Sounds like something is moving around in there trying to adjust itself to the new head geometry

Nothing has changed with the geometry between MY 2007 and 2010.
Same springs, retainers, protrusion, valve angle.
If the retainers hit it will sound horrible all the time faster the motor runs worse it gets. If they relieved them properly / adequately and then centered the lower boxes and the rocker support all interference would be gone for good plus the rockers will sweep the valve stem properly. Nothing moves unless they left bolts loose.
These 110s are noisy. It is the minority that doesn't have noise in varying degrees, sorry to say. IMHO this is not always valvetrain and piston slap is the root cause. Judging by what I see in the heads it is no doubt the valves would be a little noisy with all the clearance they built into the stem to guide fit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:12:37 AM by Deweysheads »

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2010, 02:50:49 PM »

Deweysheads,
Thanks for the many responses you have posted on this thread. When I get back I plan to go through the various posts on the forums where you have addressed similar issues and see if I can sort this out. When I do I would like to PM you and get your number to speak directly with you. It just seems this service department has gotten in way over their capabilities dealing with this issue and I will have to go a different direction for satisfaction. I certainly don't understand why they bought a set of bare heads with valves and tried to use everything else from the old heads.
Thanks for your patience
Shortdog

swat1

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2010, 04:45:21 AM »

ShortDog, I think you and I have work done at the same dealership.  I have not been happy with them for a while, would love to know the name of the independent shop you looking to switch to. Got the names of a few that have certified techs and do great work so I am told
That just happened

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »

Swat1,
A-Team in Z'hills.
Leaving on vacation in two hours, let's compare notes when I get back.
 Shortdog

swat1

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2010, 12:22:38 AM »

Sounds Good ride safe
That just happened

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2010, 04:05:44 PM »

And the saga continues. We made our planned trip with several stops for oil issues. 2200 miles of easy riding up and down mountains ,through valleys and across flatlands. Used 4 quarts of oil. Still no leaks but did change plugs once. Back to dealership and found out Factory Rep in town next week. We'll see what happens.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2010, 04:08:42 PM »

Read the thread I posted about cylinders not round and straight.
HD did help the guy here with the 09 110 and pitched in new barrels and pistons. The tech did check them before the installation with dial bore gauge and mike.

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »

I have been assured by the SM that the bores are straight and pistons in tolerance. I actually met with the Factory Rep Tues. We agreed to take the heads off again and check clearances. Did a compression check and leak-down. Front 180# rear 210#, leakdown front 10% rear 8%. Intake valves and ports soaked with oil, Exhaust side damp, burnt oil on pistons and valves. Areas that were previously clearanced on lower boxes showed signs of interference.
Factory rep stated he could not replace motor based on "ancient history" at which time I pointed out that three weeks is not exactly ancient!
He swears he will "take care" of me if I do one more test for him. I don't see much choice so I agreed.
He claims that the fill mark on my dipstick is for filling at an oil change. It should not be used as a reference for a "hot check". ( I pinted out that fill is a verb which is directing me to take action and my owners manual also tells me the same thing.) Once the motor is back together I am to ride it like I stole it for 2500 miles. During that time period I am not to put any oil in it as long as it shows anywhere on the stick. If I think it needs oil I am to go to the dealership and have them put it in. He has basically said that I have been running the oil over full since day one and that has lead to all these problems. I can understand the theory of oil being sucked through the breather tube to the intake, but that doesn't seem to account for the valve guide seals coming loose.
I just did a short 60 mile ride and the noise from rocker box interference has gone away (new pre-clearanced boxes) but I am stillhearing what we all describe as lifter noise which increased with warm-up and higher speeds. Only 2440 miles to go on the "test". Thanks for puttingup with my ranting.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2010, 06:20:56 PM »

Oh come on
Show him the owners manual
Read word for word to him what it says in the maintenance section on how to refil or check the oil level.
I guess they think if they brow beat customers that are not techs they can score a miss for the MOCO.
Hold your ground, the motor is messed up.

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2010, 06:28:09 PM »

Don,
I thought you would get a kick out of that. Also the new vibrations I'm getting through the bars are"due to the oil being overfull"
That is causing the flywheels to be churning oil that is not supposed to be there.
Shortdog

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2010, 11:48:13 AM »

OH Boy................ You should not have to jump through all those hoops. They should fix it till you are satisfied....

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 01:56:34 AM »

All I can say is WOW!!! One thing that wasn't mentioned on the heads:

What if......

You never notice you have different heads

Drive them for 7K miles until they act up again

Take them back, SM has left, new SM in his place

New SM says, you have different heads on this bike, it is no longer under warranty, you are on your own!!!

shortdog

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 10:26:39 PM »

Update for those still interested.
When I started my 2500 mile "information test" for Factory Rep oil was at "Fill" mark cold,about 1/4" above hot on side stand.
Due to weather and other issues have not ridden as much as I should have, however last week after about 750 miles oil no longer on stick cold and barely on tip hot.
Went to dealership last Thursday and Factory Rep happened to be there. I had him check oil and listen to motor. Scheduled in today to check for oil in crankcase.
When I described the new noises and vibrations I'm experiencing, he thought oil was going to crankcase and not returning to tank.
Today they put bike on dyno for ten minutes at 3800 rpm in 6th gear then drained crankcase and got only 2oz. oil; idled for ten minutes and got only 2.5 oz.; dyno again
for ten minutes at 5,000 rpm in 4th gear and got 2 oz. again out of crankcase. They notified Factory Rep of results and then we stood around scratching our heads again for about an hour trying to figure where is this oil going?
Just as an aside, I rode about ten miles the other day at 60 mph in second gear (around 5200 rpm) and it sounded like the lifters had maybe collapsed and were solidly
beating the pushrods. I guess it could be they were also pumped to capacity and hence the noise, but that would seem to indicate the pushrods or rockers are not correct.
I will hear something in a few days about what direction the Factory Rep wants to lead me next. It's increasingly difficult to stay calm and patient. Thanks for your time!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.