Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: What is your highest oil temp?  (Read 18420 times)

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
What is your highest oil temp?
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:52:12 PM »

I saw 260 on the digital dipstick today.  2009 FLHTCUSE4.  In town 35mph and stop light to stop light.  85ish degrees.

Some say the digital dipsticks are not all that accurate. :nixweiss:

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
Re: What is your highest oil temp?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:32:11 AM »

I have had a sump oil temp gauge on my last three bikes. If your the worrying type, an oil temp gauge is not for you.

Rule of thumb.  After 1 hour at 75MPH, air temp + 200 deg = oil temp. On a 90 deg day in Az, I will see 290-300 all day.

This is a 96" with cams, stock compression, no oil cooler. All three of my bikes, same temp.

Steve George
Fullsac Perf
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 10:46:06 AM »

On the new BLUU on SAT I was running 267 degree's after running on the Freeway at 80 for 20 miles.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 11:26:22 AM »

260-280 depending on the ambient temps (desert); moderate to hard running on the '10 103
My 113 runs much cooler. :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

wts

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG crush
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 05:15:56 PM »

I only saw 237 last week in the keys with the air at about 90
                         built 124 (200 hp), procharger, dakota gauges

wts
someday- today-will be the good old days

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »

I have had a sump oil temp gauge on my last three bikes. If your the worrying type, an oil temp gauge is not for you.

Rule of thumb.  After 1 hour at 75MPH, air temp + 200 deg = oil temp. On a 90 deg day in Az, I will see 290-300 all day.

This is a 96" with cams, stock compression, no oil cooler. All three of my bikes, same temp.

Steve George
Fullsac Perf

You'll make everybody feel better after that post Steve. :huepfenlol2:

I'm curious though........what kind of oil do you use and why not a cooler down there in hell (I've been to Barstow in the summer)? :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »

Steve George
Fullsac Perf

Definitely agree that folks who worry too much should never install a temp gauge.  Your post is also a good indicator of why synthetic oil is necessary in Harley's these days, CVO or not.

Why no oil cooler?  A good one would probably knock 15°-20° off those peak temps.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 02:02:51 AM »

You'll make everybody feel better after that post Steve. :huepfenlol2:

I'm curious though........what kind of oil do you use and why not a cooler down there in hell (I've been to Barstow in the summer)? :nixweiss:

I'm actually not quite in Hell. But if you look close you can see it from here pretty clearly.
I run Mobil One 20-50. I actually have ran an oil cooler more than once. I have a large one that I mounted off center on the crash bar out in the wind.
Knocked 80 deg off in the summer. Come winter it would never warm up enough to boil off the condensation. I never had concerns of this until I
pulled the AC off one day and the breather tubes were full of white froth. Yes water! After that I ditched the oil cooler, ride the hell out of it and
change out the oil every 3K. I still cringe a little when the gauge hits 300. On a 95+ deg day its pretty common after an hour on cruise at 75-80.

Steve George
Fullsac Performance

eleft36

• Full CVO Member
  • Senior Rider
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 08:23:07 AM »

I still cringe a little when the gauge hits 300. On a 95+ deg day its pretty common after an hour on cruise at 75-80.

Steve George
Fullsac Performance

Steve,
@300*,  You're only room temperature above the normal oil temperature according to the H-D manual

"NOTE
Engine oil should be at normal operating temperature
(230° F/110° C) for an accurate reading.
6. Oil pressure should be 30-38 PSI (207-262 kPa) at 2000
RPM and normal operating temperature."

Al
2010 CVO 110" Conv. Exhaust, K&N A/C, Stock Heads, SE 103" BB kit, Andrews 26H Cams, Adapted H-D Engine Guard, Mustang wide Touring Seat, Stock Bars, H-D Oil Cooler, 1990 Leather Works Inc. Bags with Deluxe modified guards, H-D Windshield, Thunder Max A/T, '05 CVO Tour Pac, SCRC Chapter 524

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 09:58:32 AM »

Steve,
@300*,  You're only room temperature above the normal oil temperature according to the H-D manual

"NOTE
Engine oil should be at normal operating temperature
(230° F/110° C) for an accurate reading.
6. Oil pressure should be 30-38 PSI (207-262 kPa) at 2000
RPM and normal operating temperature."

Al

Normal operating must be 55 MPH on a 40 deg day.
Last year in Colorado riding the Million Dollar Highway at 35 mph, oil temps went 260 +
on a 60 deg day after an hour climbing to 11K feet. Riding slowly gets em hot too.

Steve George
Fullsac Perf

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 11:47:47 AM »

I'm actually not quite in Hell. But if you look close you can see it from here pretty clearly.
I run Mobil One 20-50. I actually have ran an oil cooler more than once. I have a large one that I mounted off center on the crash bar out in the wind.
Knocked 80 deg off in the summer. Come winter it would never warm up enough to boil off the condensation. I never had concerns of this until I
pulled the AC off one day and the breather tubes were full of white froth. Yes water! After that I ditched the oil cooler, ride the hell out of it and
change out the oil every 3K. I still cringe a little when the gauge hits 300. On a 95+ deg day its pretty common after an hour on cruise at 75-80.

Steve George
Fullsac Performance

I think that I would use the oil cooler in the summer and bypass it for the winter...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 01:27:48 PM »

I think that I would use the oil cooler in the summer and bypass it for the winter...

Yup.  Either that, or they have those new fangled things called thermostats these days that automate the whole process.  ;)

Jerry ;D
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 05:04:22 PM »

Guess I am in the minority but I don't know, don't want to know and don't care.  What the heck am I going to do about it anyway except not ride on a hot day?  I use Mobil 1 and change it regularly, have an extended service contract and just ride, baby, ride.  

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »

ultrafxr :2vrolijk_21:
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 12:21:56 PM »

Hold On! Wait a minute!

Oil temp gauges not for the worrying type!  If you were not worried about it you would not put one on!!!
Curious, concerned, worried...whatever you want to call it we all spend a fortune trying to make these things last longer, perform at there best, be reliable, start easier, shift better....

I simply asked what temps everyone was seeing to see how accurate my gauge may or may not be.
Definitely agree that folks who worry too much should never install a temp gauge.  
My reply is the only people who have installed a temp gauge are those who are worried about it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.