Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Author Topic: AZ SERK -- Track the Man on an Epic Transcontinental Trip  (Read 11280 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: AZ SERK -- Track the Man on an Epic Transcontinental Trip
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2010, 09:16:14 AM »

Charlie came in to some very bad weather last night east of Tucumcari and spent quite awhile hunkered down staying out of it.  First look at a weather track made it look like a half hour or so would have it past him but the storm was huge and dense and kept back building.  He ended up staying out of what was a terrible storm for close to three hours.

His goal this morning was Tucson by 8:30 local.  Truth or Consequences, NM is where he's showing up now.  That's still a long haul from Tucson.  Hopefully the appointment at the passport office in Tucson can be pushed back a bit.  Good luck Charlie.  Ride safe man.  Keeping my finger crossed for the trip to get easier from here on :2vrolijk_21: .

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2010, 09:38:48 AM »

Best of luck to Charlie & hope he can get his passport worked out in Tucson.  That's a long way to go on a hot day...have made that ride myself.

My buddy Greg continues to swap places with lead bikes. The route did not go north up Hwy. 191 but instead took the riders toward Phoenix and will turn back north from there.  Reports of VERY hot riding conditions & missing road signs/street signs abound.  Reports have the lead bikes taking turns passing each other during nap breaks/sleep breaks.

One of the riders, Alex Hood, was hit yesterday in an accident with a car in Flagstaff & is in the hospital with injuries.

Best of luck & safe journey to ALL the Hoka Hey riders.   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2010, 10:48:03 AM »

Best of luck to Charlie & hope he can get his passport worked out in Tucson.  That's a long way to go on a hot day...have made that ride myself.

My buddy Greg continues to swap places with lead bikes. The route did not go north up Hwy. 191 but instead took the riders toward Phoenix and will turn back north from there.  Reports of VERY hot riding conditions & missing road signs/street signs abound.  Reports have the lead bikes taking turns passing each other during nap breaks/sleep breaks.

One of the riders, Alex Hood, was hit yesterday in an accident with a car in Flagstaff & is in the hospital with injuries.

Best of luck & safe journey to ALL the Hoka Hey riders.   :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Charlie described scenes or knowledge of several accidents so far.  Combination of pushing against time on unfamiliar roads often riding in groups.  It's all a recipe for more caution than fatigue and landing fixation will sometimes allow.  Hope the travel gods are with all of them.

He also mentioned one other thing of interest regarding the "Hoka Key rider" that had been reported in front for awhile.  Said that event managers specifically stated they and theirs would be doing the run.  But that none of them would be eligible for the prize.  If they'd scouted any or most of it that would give them a significant leg up.  Some fairness many might not have anticipated that they don't collect prize money for getting there though.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2010, 11:58:13 AM »

Charlie described scenes or knowledge of several accidents so far.  Combination of pushing against time on unfamiliar roads often riding in groups.  It's all a recipe for more caution than fatigue and landing fixation will sometimes allow.  Hope the travel gods are with all of them.

He also mentioned one other thing of interest regarding the "Hoka Key rider" that had been reported in front for awhile.  Said that event managers specifically stated they and theirs would be doing the run.  But that none of them would be eligible for the prize.  If they'd scouted any or most of it that would give them a significant leg up.  Some fairness many might not have anticipated that they don't collect prize money for getting there though.

Agreed on the travel Gods - they need some good luck thrown in as well.

Early in the race - near Imokolee, FL there were reports of bikes running into each other.  A rider, Alex Hood was hit by a car yesterday coming in to Flagstaff & is in the hospital now. Have heard multiple reports about confusing directions (if they really did use Mapquest to route this that makes sense) and wrong turns leading to time lost with accompanying frustrations.  My friend Greg is probably in Utah by now - last report had him somewhere near Tusayan, AZ (earlier this AM) which is near the Grand Canyon.  Have stayed there myself & one of my coldest rides ever was a ride out of Tusayan one morning.  There are about 6-10 bikes from what I have read that are well in the lead & are trading lead.

Appears the event organizers did not choose anything approaching a direct route for this ride.  Makes it quite a bit different from a Cannonball & takes the riders on routes that were very likely not anticipated.  Going from Key West through the Grand Canyon area on the way to AK is roundabout & there is some back tracking involved in order to do this.  Must be about the ride as well as the destination.  Much respect for the riders competing in this - when we considered the Hoka Hey & the time & conditions required for the ride we opted not to participate.  Greg seemed to relish the idea though & he is one heck of a good rider.

The lead for a while was reported to be Chris Carr http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=00X726PWZ1GOBvgG5VXqX4RfZeco2Lotk& I read he was riding a bike that was parked in the hotel lobby with the Hoka Hey logo, etc. on it.  Not sure of his sponsorships but figure the organizers know they if an "insider" wins there will be a LOT of legalistic maneuverings.  

Off the subject a bit but my mind is wandering across Utah on a RK right now....A group of us is considering a FL to AK trip but nothing like this one.  Would need 3 weeks & would have to ship the bikes to Anchorage to make that happen.  Wives are going for part of it - if it happens.

You ever ride to AK?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 12:00:31 PM by iski »

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2010, 08:19:27 PM »

It's not a bad ride.  I don't think I'd do it on a CVO, though.  The environment is rather harsh on it.  Lots of fine dust that gets into everything.  One trip up is probably equal to 25k miles in the lower 48.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #50 on: June 25, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »

My friend Greg checked in to the Rock Springs, WY checkpoint as 1 of the Top Ten riders.  Some are staying on the route as best they can (like him) & others are taking interstates that more or less stay sort of close to the route and others are just going wherever.  Greg has been advised by the organizers to keep gas receipts as well as the gps phone tracker info to show where he has been.  Not sure how they will evaluate the routes as it relates to the winner staying on route.

To say this is not a direct route to AK is an understatement. Go Greg!  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 10:07:12 AM »

There is a lot of not so flattering chatter about this ride being kicked around. Lead riders removing directional signs, no cameras documenting the ride, which was marketed as being filmed for a reality show, and the ride organizer having been identified as being involved in some scams in recent history. Hopefully it is all on the up & up and the finish will find the leaders rewarded as advertized...

Have heard of a few folks bagging the route and just heading straight to Homer to see how it all ends. SHould be interesting.

Here is the Ride's Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000975742042&v=wall&story_fbid=132278103459025#!/profile.php?id=100000289873809

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2010, 04:35:11 PM »

Thank you all for your support! 

The short story is: I'm out of the Challenge.  :(  But, I'm not out or, finished.   :coolblue: 

The storm last night caused too long a delay and I had to cancel my Passport appointment in Tucson.  Their next available time is Monday.  So, I arrived home safely, showered, slept and booked a fly and ride in Anchorage early next week.  :)

More details to follow regarding the route I covered prior to my Passport debacle.

Charlie

Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2010, 07:00:25 AM »

Sorry to hear this Charlie,

Glad you are safe.

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2010, 08:42:58 AM »

Glad you are home safe & too bad about the passport.  On a brighter note, you will be riding in AK next week anyway!

My friend Greg remains in the top 10 so far.

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2010, 11:40:04 PM »

Hoka Hey Report
                Part 1
  Key West was great, as always.  The heat and humidity took its’ toll on some Challengers prior to the start.  I personally spoke with several riders suffering from symptoms of heat exhaustion during the Friday and Saturday before the start.  They were attempting to stay indoors as much as possible.  Two riders, retirees with existing respiratory ailments, were struggling in a big way.   All in all, the many Challengers I met were genuine contenders.  You knew immediately their heart was in it and, they possessed the spirit and will to finish the Challenge.

The anticipation for the Start was more exciting than I ever imagined, although much of my excitement was diminished during the Saturday evening Mandatory Challengers Meeting.  (The following details are shared to relay the facts)  During this meeting we were informed of many changes.  The following changes, in my view, caused the most impact:
1) There would be NO individual tracking via GPS.
2) There would be NO timed or staggered start.
3) We were told to line up Sunday morning, beginning at 5:00AM, first come - first serve.  (We were previously told we would line up
    according to our entry number)
4) The first Challenger to Homer will be the winner.  (No timed or staggered start)

The organizers stated there would also be motorcycles in the event other than H-D.  This flies in the face of the original fundamental concept.  Having Indians and Hoka Hey Motorcycles in the field was something none of us expected.  The organizers made it clear, these bikes would not qualify for the prize money but, why let them enter an event that was promoted as being H-D only?  Regarding the creation of, “The Hoka Hey Motorcycle Company,” why make this announcement during a meeting on the eve of the start?

This is why it was easier for me to deviate from the indicated route and create some additional memories along the way.  I seized the opportunity to visit Jim, a dear friend of my Dad during my Dad’s entire adult life.  They were WWII buddies and found they lived less than twenty miles apart.  Jim is now nearing ninety-one.  He was so thrilled to see me!  I would not trade this visit for multiples of $500K!  A side note: This adventure, to me, was always about the route and the opportunity to ride the AL-CAN.  I had also personally challenged myself to finish within the Top 100.  And, a Top 50 finish would be a huge personal bonus.  But, the aforementioned changes caused me to ride hard for two days and nights, placing me, I was told in the Top 120 at the first Checkpoint. And, several people told me at the second Checkpoint, I was in the Top 70.  This provided the proof that I could meet my personal challenge.  Seeing as I intentionally chose to show up late for the Start, lining up near dead last.  There were less than twenty Challengers behind me.  (The organizers reported 750 riders had registered and we determined approximately 540 were actively riding) Upon receipt of the directions for the Third Leg it was an easy decision to take a detour of a few hours and visit Jim and Juanita, his lovely bride of sixty-two years!

There were two serious collisions during the first three hundred miles:
The first, as we approached the Everglades, involved two riders.  I was riding behind Mac, a police officer from Anchorage, when we came upon the grizzly scene of two scoots scattered across the highway.   A Life-Flight chopper was just leaving the area.  This was not a good sign.  We stopped, walked to where the officers were and asked about the condition of the riders.  The first officer explained that both riders were injured, one seriously.  “The second rider, in the chopper, is in bad shape.  His prognosis is grim.”  (I have not yet found an update regarding his current condition) 
  He stated, “One rider was unsure of his location and, attempting to make an illegal U-turn, he crossed the path of another rider who had made the same decision further down the road and was now traveling back to the road he had missed.”  He was uncertain why they had failed to see each other.

The second scene was less than twenty miles from the first.  There was another officer, lights flashing, motioning traffic to slow down.  As we approached there were two Electra Glides, off of the right-hand curve, in a shallow canal.   We again stopped and spoke with the officer.  He said, “Both riders will be okay. They did not suffer life threatening injuries.”  This was a welcome relief!   The officer then told us, “The riders were traveling too fast for the curve and failed to negotiate the turn.”
  We then spotted a, “HOG Alaska Chapter,” flag beside one of the bikes.  Mac asked for the identities of the riders and, after displaying his Anchorage badge, the Florida officer obliged.  Both riders were indeed from Alaska and Mac knew them.  He immediately made contact with their families to let them know of the riders respective conditions.  Wow!  It is a small world!

I am also personally aware of a rider, “Greg,” who was struck from behind, just south of Birmingham.  Fortunately, he was not seriously injured.  He told me his bike is a total loss.

There are reports of additional collisions but, I have no details.
IBA #42159

AZ SESG

• Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2010, 11:45:16 PM »

Hoka Hey Report
               Part 2

It is fair to say, in my opinion, the absence of a timed start combined with the first come-first serve alignment helped to create an unnecessary atmosphere of urgency for many riders.  These are contributing factors to many of these collisions and crashes.  And, I will refrain from giving details of the poor turn-by-turn directions and the absence of maps.

Sometime during the third day and night, my Passport went missing.  It may have fell from my tank bag during one of many fuel stops but, at this point, I may never know.  I discovered it was gone during a, “Dinner Stop,” with Don in Joplin.  Needless to say, I was physically sick upon discovering this loss.  Don and I reviewed my gas receipts and he quickly called the various gas stations to inquire if anybody had turned in a lost Passport wallet?  No luck.
  Note:  As I am typing this report, a text message came to my phone from an Alaska rider indicating one of his buddies Passport is now missing.  Interesting!  He had pressed hard and indicated he was in the Top 30.  (No matter how mine was lost, I have nobody to blame but myself.  I should have kept it around my neck, where it was safely residing during the first two days of the Challenge)

Don graciously offered his home as a place to rest and form a re-entry plan.  I accepted his offer and, following a few altercations with some, “hobos and babes,” we got busy planning.
A huge, “Thank you,” to TLR!

I managed to schedule an appointment with the Western Passport Center in Tucson for Thursday morning at 9:30AM.  They indicated I could receive a replacement Passport in approximately three hours.

I steered the SERK westward and, much to my surprise, received a call from my friend Cobb.  He was waiting along I-40 to accompany me for a portion of the ride.  A very nice surprise, indeed.  Cobb, “Thank you!”

It appeared all was on track to make the appointment when a severe storm, just east of Tucumcari, caused a three hour delay.  An overpass offered minimal shelter during the first hour.  Don and my bride offered weather updates and I also checked my Smartphone for current weather radar, between squalls.  A break in the wind and a slowing of the downpour allowed me to think it was time to move on.  Big mistake!  Less than three miles of progress and the wind and rain returned with a fury, accompanied with pea-sized hail.  I could barely manage to keep the SERK in the right-hand lane.  A passing semi, God bless him, seen my dilemma.  When I flashed my light, letting him know he was clear to move right, he eased into the lane in front of me.  He then turned on his emergency flashers and cruised at a mild twenty-five miles-per-hour, leading me westward approximately five miles to a weigh station.  I followed him into the weigh station and found shelter under a large canopy designed to provide shade during  truck  inspections.  I hit the kill switch and was immediately greeted by a New Mexico State Trooper.  He said, “My God son!  What are you doing out in this mess?”  I told him about the Challenge and the urgency to arrive in Tucson.  He was so captivated by the story, he asked me to wait a minute while he retrieved a buddy from the office overlooking the scales.  Following a brief introduction I repeated the details while the wind continued to howl, blowing a horizontal rain just outside the canopy.  The Troopers were intrigued, to say the least.

The net delay was a bit more than three hours, making it very difficult to keep on schedule for the Tucson appointment.  I rode into the wee hours of the morning, nearly making it to Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico.  Unable to maintain a straight line, it was time to stop and sleep.  Less than three hours later I awoke and hopped into the saddle, knowing I would need to call the Passport Center to reschedule my appointment.  The time arrived, the office was open and, I placed the call with fingers crossed.  The gentleman indicated he had no openings until Monday.  The writing on the wall was clearly visible:  “It is time to call the dogs.  The hunt is over.”

The total distance traveled from Key West to home via various county roads, state highways and interstates:  3,647 miles.  The SERK performed flawlessly, using less than four ounces of oil and never missing a beat!  Although, I did hear an annoying squeal prior to arriving in Joplin.  Fearing it may be a wheel bearing Don offered to give a listen while I performed some fly-by’s.  He correctly diagnosed the squeal as coming from the rear exhaust mounts.  Thank you, Don!

The total distance from home to Key West:  2,598 miles.

Grand Total:  6,245 miles.

A nice little cruise!   :2vrolijk_21:   
IBA #42159

Gone Fishin'

• The Director
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE Limited®, Black Sparkle and 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Ultra Classic®, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate, # 110 of 992
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 Screamin' Eagle® Road King®, Black Ice, 1 of 1325
    • CVO3: 2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red and 2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine, 1 of 316
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2010, 03:19:18 AM »

Great report and super achievement. I'm already looking forward on what you'll be able to share from Alaska.

Cheers,
Louis

1914 10E, Grey
1956 FLH Custom, Candy Orange
1988 FXRS Custom, "S.O.A."
2000 FLSTF Custom Fat Boy, "Jumpin' Jack Flash"
2000 FXSTS Custom Springer Softail, Grey
2000 FXR4, Candy Tangerine
2001 FXDWG2, Scarlet Red
2005 FLHTCSE2, -9/07
2007 FLHRSE3, Black Ice
2008 FLHTCUSE3, -7/08
2009 FLHTCUSE4, -4/10
2010 FLHTCUSE5-BLK, Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate
2012 VRSCDX ANV, Brilliant Silver Pearl
2016 FLHTKSE, Black Sparkle
2016 XL1200CX Roadster, Vivid Black
2018 FLFBS ANV
CVO 1480 IBA 26678

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2010, 07:59:21 PM »

Mi amigo.......thanks to God you are safe at home. Unfortuntely you didn't make the whole trip until AK but anyway you are going there...I will ship the tires tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Jorge

PS Martha has been asking for you all the times :-*

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2010, 08:13:10 AM »

Great report!  That is an adventure of a lifetime!  Very troubling to read of the last minute plan changes though.  Causes one to wonder how the organizers will determine who won & by what method.  Have been riding in NM with a hail threatening huge storm with downbursts & it is not anything I ever wish to repeat.  The passports missing seem more than odd to me.

Several of us have been discussing a ride from AK all the way back to Florida next summer & are considering shipping our bikes to Anchorage.  If anyone has any info or has done this, am very interested.  So far the shipping rates I have been quoted are approaching $2k or so & if that is the case it will cause us to consider other alternatives.

BTW - my friend Greg remains in the top ten riders according to what he has been told at checkpoints & is somewhere in Canada now, doing his best to remain on the route as mapped. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 22 queries.