Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Anybody using a Thundermax?  (Read 6254 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Anybody using a Thundermax?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 07:24:29 PM »

I did read that it was easier to set AFR's since you tell the system what you want it to be and it adjusts the fule accordingly going by what it reads from the O2 sensors. Am I mis-informed?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 07:29:53 PM »

I did read that it was easier to set AFR's since you tell the system what you want it to be and it adjusts the fule accordingly going by what it reads from the O2 sensors. Am I mis-informed?

Not, not at all.  However it's not "easier" for the autotuning function to set fuel.  It's just that fuel settings is all it does.  You can manually change the timing curve however and wherever you please.  But timing is not "auto" tuned.  So the bike isn't really autotuned.  At least not completely.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 08:41:54 PM »

Not, not at all.  However it's not "easier" for the autotuning function to set fuel.  It's just that fuel settings is all it does.  You can manually change the timing curve however and wherever you please.  But timing is not "auto" tuned.  So the bike isn't really autotuned.  At least not completely.

I guess it just sounds like more of a learning system since it allows the current AFR's to determine fuel mix instead of tuning the mix to get the AFR's that you want. Still on the fence about it since I currently have a map in the TTS that has the bike running nicely and fairly cool.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 10:16:18 PM »

I guess it just sounds like more of a learning system since it allows the current AFR's to determine fuel mix instead of tuning the mix to get the AFR's that you want. Still on the fence about it since I currently have a map in the TTS that has the bike running nicely and fairly cool.

There is something to be said for "if it ain't broke don't fix it."  :2vrolijk_21:

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 06:04:55 AM »

There is something to be said for "if it ain't broke don't fix it."  :2vrolijk_21:

I know.....we'll see......

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 08:12:25 AM »

I had a tmax on my 2007  it was great except for the fact every once in a while the gauges would shut off and i would have to pull over and restart it,  its a problem even on the 2008,09,2010 yet,  as far as everything else it was a good tuner, i have tts now,  i didnt like spending the money and have gauges not work sometimes

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 08:16:15 AM »

actually i miss my pc-5 sometimes because of the dual map feature, where i live u can use a map for the area I.E.  gas quality and when u go out west on sa trip  where lower octane and  and diluted gas lives u can flip a switch and use a different map for that gas, with no pinging,  wish my tts had that feature,

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 10:09:46 AM »

I had a tmax on my 2007  it was great except for the fact every once in a while the gauges would shut off and i would have to pull over and restart it,  its a problem even on the 2008,09,2010 yet,  as far as everything else it was a good tuner, i have tts now,  i didnt like spending the money and have gauges not work sometimes

This is a known issue???  Did they replace the TMAX ECM for you to try to solve it??

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 11:57:15 PM »

no  i talkd to  randy the soft ware expert  and  nothing he could do, its  still a continuing intermintant problem for them

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 11:59:22 PM »

no  i talkd to  randy the soft ware expert  and  nothing he could do, its  still a continuing intermintant problem for them

It's a bit of a joke that after, what now, five years on the street they've still got quirks like that.  Have read reports of that since early on in their life cycle.

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 09:04:07 AM »

that quirk is still  there,  talked to a zippers  rep at battlefield harley during gettysburg bike week and they still have the "quirk"

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 09:53:08 AM »

To be fair to Zippers - read my comments below.

When I talked to Randy, he said the quirk is usually related to electrical problems. I had the exact same issue, that's why I called him. He told me to check both battery connections. I did and found that the ground cable was loose. I tightened to factory torque specs and I have not had a problem since. I thought I was tightening the cable tight enough with a wrench. Boy was I surprised when I used a torque wrench. Cable wasn't nearly as tight as I thought. A surge in an electrical system can cause issues with software as stated by Randy. I'll see if it ever crops up again in the future. So far I have no issues with the ThunderMax. Support was very good.

BTW, you can order them through Drag Speciaties and get a discount.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 10:33:02 PM »

im  very fair with zippers  i still buy their stuff,  The tmax is a good tuner,  it still has the same issue though  and i never took battery cables off so i dont see how retightening the cables  would do anything  but  ok, Funny  the same issue is still there  for  different model years,  all  the battery cables mustve been under torqued  ,  i still love zippers though
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 10:39:56 PM by timtoolman »

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 01:05:58 AM »

that quirk is still  there,  talked to a zippers  rep at battlefield harley during gettysburg bike week and they still have the "quirk"
Anybody here actually have this problem with a TBW Thundermax?   
I have been following all the new threads on the TBW Tmax and have not read any negative reports by actual owners/users or the new TBW version.
Planning to purchase from Jenny tomorrow.  Guess I will make a call to Zippers first.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 05:38:53 AM »

Anybody here actually have this problem with a TBW Thundermax?   
I have been following all the new threads on the TBW Tmax and have not read any negative reports by actual owners/users or the new TBW version.
Planning to purchase from Jenny tomorrow.  Guess I will make a call to Zippers first.

Please let me know what you find out......
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 20 queries.