Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: To Remove Cat or NOT!!!!!  (Read 15620 times)

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
To Remove Cat or NOT!!!!!
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:58:20 PM »

Sorry but I am a little confused! 1st, Does my 09 SEUC have a Cat in the head pipe? Do you have to take the right pipe off and look into the pipe to tell? If it does have a cat, is it worth the trouble and or money to remove or open up the pipe? I ask this because a friend whose opinion I respect told me that the presence of the cat had no effect on sound or performance if I change my AC and high flow mufflers, to change head pipes or remove cat would be a waste of time and money. What do you think and what are the facts? Looking for it to run better from 0 to 50 and have a deeper louder sound. Not looking to squeeze every ounce of HP and TQ. Needs to sound better than my 03RKC. Thanks Guys, OH and Girls?     
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

bigmegina

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Streetglide
Re: To Remove Cat or NOT!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »

all 09 se have cats.you can go vance hines power duals,nice sound looks great,or just buy a 09 non se touring headpipe off the for sale boards for about $150.i have a 09 serg,changed the headpipe,fuelpak,rhinehart slipons,97 hp.the power duals and non cat pipe give you low end power and tourqe where most driving is done.looks stock,runs great.

04se103

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 11:29:04 PM »

Does my 09 SEUC have a Cat in the head pipe?Yes it has Cat. If it does have a cat, is it worth the trouble and or money to remove or open up the pipe? Yes you will lose the heat .I ask this because a friend whose opinion I respect told me that the presence of the cat had no effect on sound or performance. The Cat is robbing the sound and resticting performance get a 96'' head pipe or one of Steve's pipes and his baffles and MasterTune you will have a happy bike

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 11:51:55 PM »

all 09 se have cats.you can go vance hines power duals,nice sound looks great,or just buy a 09 non se touring headpipe off the for sale boards for about $150.i have a 09 serg,changed the headpipe,fuelpak,rhinehart slipons,97 hp.the power duals and non cat pipe give you low end power and tourqe where most driving is done.looks stock,runs great.

I really like the colors and graphics of your SERG, Bigmegina. Great info about getting non se touring headpipe, I should have thought of that myself.  :oops: Sounds like that is what I am looking for low end power and TQ. Thanks 

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 07:34:48 AM »

change the pipe to a non cvo non california bike.   you could find one here or perhaps ebay like I did. then find somebody to ceramic coat (jet hot coating) the pipe before you put it back on the bike.  it will help keep your riding experience cooler and more comfortable.  it will also make the bike slightly louder instead of sounding like a sewing machine.  for me the whole deal was around 300, i did my own work on the bike.  good luck
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 05:17:06 PM »

I just swapped out my cat pipe this morning. I've been running Fulsac 1 3/4" baffles and it was hot with Ok performance.  Installed XIED plug in set up and it ran better. Just got back from a ride with the new catless pipe. Great!!!! Runs cooler, better, pulls better. I highly reccomend it. Total cost...$250. Found the catless pipe on this site for $150 shipped. Xied, about $100, new gaskets and I was on the road. :orange:

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 08:53:16 PM »

I just swapped out my cat pipe this morning. I've been running Fulsac 1 3/4" baffles and it was hot with Ok performance.  Installed XIED plug in set up and it ran better. Just got back from a ride with the new catless pipe. Great!!!! Runs cooler, better, pulls better. I highly reccomend it. Total cost...$250. Found the catless pipe on this site for $150 shipped. Xied, about $100, new gaskets and I was on the road. :orange:
Sounds like a good plan for me. But I am sorry I don't know what the "XIED" plug in thing is. Does that take the place of the OXY. sensor in the pipe? I have a 09 catless pipe lined up from this site to buy, I think.

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 10:43:40 PM »

dave29

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 10:50:26 AM »

Bubblehead gave you the link. Really easy to install. Just plug it in between you're sensor and the ECM, ground it and you're off. I checked with the folks at XIED before I put on the catless pipe to make sure it wouldn't be to lean. They said it would work just great and they were right.
The nice thing is that if you need dealer work done it takes about 30 seconds to unplug.

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 04:48:35 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

CHANGE THE HEADER TO A NON CVO 09 HEADPIPE OR GO TO ONE OF THE AFTER MARKET GUYS, ETC.

HEAT DOWN, POWER UP ETC.

NO BRAINER HERE.
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 09:02:45 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

CHANGE THE HEADER TO A NON CVO 09 HEADPIPE OR GO TO ONE OF THE AFTER MARKET GUYS, ETC.

HEAT DOWN, POWER UP ETC.

NO BRAINER HERE.
Thanks Diamondback, Dude I really like your SEUC colors, it would have been a very tight second choice for me. If the dealer would have had both colors I would have been in a real pickle. Got a catless pipe lined up to buy as soon as member sends me shipping costs. Thanks 

lronald

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 03:57:14 PM »

I saw there was another post out here about removing the CAT with a core drill bit.  According to the thread a lot of people did this. 

I am being told this will only remove half the CAT and there is another one below the one you can see from removing the right hand pipe.  Is this true?

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 05:26:19 PM »

I saw there was another post out here about removing the CAT with a core drill bit.  According to the thread a lot of people did this. 

I am being told this will only remove half the CAT and there is another one below the one you can see from removing the right hand pipe.  Is this true?
Ironald I don't know for certain how much of the cat remains in the headpipe after the core drill process, BUT from looking at the photos on that post and simple logic that there is quite a bit of cat left and most of what is remaining covers the opening of the other pipe. Those that have drilled say it made a big improvement. I am going the 09 catless headpipe route. 1. Because it seems more efficient to me, to not have any cat at all in pipe. 2. I did not want to hunt down and purchase core drill bit, threaded rod, probably only use it one time. 3. I could but did not really want to do the drilling/removing myself. There may be several posts about removing cat, the one I saw was from only a few days ago and was very detailed with great pics, if you are so inclined to do your own. Maybe some of the more expert dogs in this CVO pack can offer more info and correct me if I said anything stupid.     

Occam

• Full CVO Member
  • Power On The Cheap

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE in black & fire quartz
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2010, 06:58:04 PM »

Ironald I don't know for certain how much of the cat remains in the headpipe after the core drill process, BUT from looking at the photos on that post and simple logic that there is quite a bit of cat left and most of what is remaining covers the opening of the other pipe. Those that have drilled say it made a big improvement. I am going the 09 catless headpipe route. 1. Because it seems more efficient to me, to not have any cat at all in pipe. 2. I did not want to hunt down and purchase core drill bit, threaded rod, probably only use it one time. 3. I could but did not really want to do the drilling/removing myself. There may be several posts about removing cat, the one I saw was from only a few days ago and was very detailed with great pics, if you are so inclined to do your own. Maybe some of the more expert dogs in this CVO pack can offer more info and correct me if I said anything stupid.     

You summed up the reason I 'Bayed a set of catless pipes.
And for my Dyna, it did seem to add a touch more bass to the exhaust note.

Jus Cruisin

• SERG Rider
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 07:51:48 AM »

I stumbled across a guy selling mufflers and head pipes/shields off his 09 E-Glide locally. I am going to snag his head pipes and shields Saturday morning. I am not sure when I will put them on. It doesn't look too difficult, but that might be deceiving. I guess all I will need to get will be the gaskets for the heads.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.   :P
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange, Fullsac and SERT

Other stuff in my garage: All American
2010 F150 Platinum 4X2
2008 Roush Mustang 428R, only 435hp
2008 Corvette convertible, 436hp
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 24 queries.