Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: High Speed Wobble?  (Read 4725 times)

Markum

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTP
Re: High Speed Wobble?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 07:30:15 PM »

I've heard if you have a "death grip" at those speeds, it will cause a wobble.
With the right tools, anything is possible.

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 08:04:34 PM »

I tried a 100+ a few times on a couple different types of roads last weekend. No wobble that I could feel. Just a little air turbulance.
==-_ :nervous:
TJ

Pete

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 04:54:08 PM »

90 often 100 only when I need to talk to God directly. No wobble, tight and straight..

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2010, 09:29:40 PM »

I ride mine at 2 swings.  The bike starts to feel good at 92. Like a boat it gets up on plane. :2cr_01:

Don had a similar issue with his 09 SERG.  A couple of weeks ago we finally made it in to a dealership.  Explained the situation to the service writer and asked that they get it off the ground and do a "fall away" check on it and shoot some grease in the next bearing (obviously dry, since none showed at all at the bottom).

They did the fall away check and it was 6 1/2 turns (should only be a maximum of 3 turns).  Also, the tire had slight cupping and wear on the right side more than the left side.  Tightened the neck bearings, new tire and the poblem is gone. :2vrolijk_21:

Go get a fall away check done.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:31:35 PM by DavidB »

lastdegree

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spiced Rum a.k.a Jack Sparrow
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 07:33:35 AM »

Dealer has looked at the bike and there was little to no grease around the head stock.  He's pumped it with some grease and voila it's a different bike. 

Thanks for all your input

Cheers
Spiced Rum 100% stock. just as it left the factory and that's what my good lady thinks too!

Foolhardy

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 08:22:47 AM »

Good to hear the speed wobble has gone - like most here I ride regularly loaded up at the ton plus for dozens of miles and she's straight as a die - Klockwerkz shield also helps the downforce especially on the twisties.

Now about that twin-lovin, lastdegree - that'll get your head to wobble for sure..........as they say - hang on tight when you tell her youre doin her sister.......

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2010, 11:31:50 AM »

Dealer has looked at the bike and there was little to no grease around the head stock.  He's pumped it with some grease and voila it's a different bike. 

Thanks for all your input

Cheers

It seems that most bikes are shipped from the factory with little or no grease.  They should be putting that in during the dealer prep.  If you don't see any grease squeezing out the bottom of the neck you might want to get a grease gun on it. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

trwtow

• Elite CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 19 roadglide mako shark
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »

glad you solved it :bananarock:
04 cvo duece blue sold
06 electaglide classic sold
10 sesg concorde sold
12 sesg ruby sold
17 sesg orange sold
19 cvo roadglide mako
and washboy for wifes softail deluxe

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 03:07:14 PM »

It seems that most bikes are shipped from the factory with little or no grease.  They should be putting that in during the dealer prep.  If you don't see any grease squeezing out the bottom of the neck you might want to get a grease gun on it. :2vrolijk_21:

:2vrolijk_21:    While the bearings are supposedly prelubed, the factory doesn't actually shoot additional grease into the steering head through the Zerk fitting during assembly.  It would be a good idea to look when you pick up a new ride, and if there is no grease showing at the Zerk or the top and bottom of the neck, have your friendly dealer add some.  Just don't go hog wild, cause the Harley grease will liquefy and run all over the place when it gets fairly hot.  I switched to a waterproof "Green Grease" that seems to hold up to high temps without drooling all over the bike.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »

Glad the wobble is gone, makes you wonder if the bearings sufferend any damage with little to no grease.  I ride over a 100 on my 06 with zero wobble.  I have ridden hands free at 80 plus with no problem what so ever, not recomended on country roades, really not on any roads, guess I was showing off.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

lastdegree

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spiced Rum a.k.a Jack Sparrow
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2010, 05:32:02 PM »

Thanks guys I'm really pleased it's become the bike I thought it was first time round.  Check your grease and it looks rather easy to pump it full of grease yourself.

Cheers,
Spiced Rum 100% stock. just as it left the factory and that's what my good lady thinks too!
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 20 queries.