Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: 110 has knock in engine  (Read 9558 times)

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
Re: 110 has knock in engine
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2010, 02:01:49 PM »

i have trailed my bike to daytona many times from new york.i used to leave them in gear.even though they are tied down they still bounce,which rocks the motor and puts pressure on the tranny which is not really good for the bike.you think by leaving it in gear it is better and will not move.now i leave it in neutral and i use a tie wrap on the front brake,but not to tight.

I don't have a lot of experience trailering it is against my principles but this time it was necessary. When I rode a road king I told everybody it was a road king not a trailer queen. Not making fun of anyone that trailers. I just don't like having to do it.
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

nazzz46

• Junior CVO Member
  • harley beast 1 and 2 at rest

• CVO1: 2009 cvo fotbob red and black (beast #1)
    • CVO2: 2008 cvo road king (harley beast #2 )
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 02:29:12 PM »

You didn't indicate how many miles you trailered your bike. On two separate I trailered bikes 1500 miles or more. First was my old Wideglide and the wife's Sporty. At first crank I thought they were both coming apart! Figured the vibrations from the trailer allowed most of the lubricants to drain down to the bottom.
After a couple minutes everything quieted down and never had a problem.
Second was both our 08 Springers. Went to N.H. and unloaded mine. Same thing as before. Hers stayed in trailer for two weeks until we met up in Virginia same scenario. I just expected it the second time and let them idle a couple minutes while the lifters and topend re-lubricated themselves.
I know how you feel as it truly sounds like the whole motor is coming apart, especially in an enclosed trailer.
i tend to agree with the short dog fluids tend to settle on long trailer haul with all the bumping around
i would never belong to a club that would have me as a member ................

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2010, 03:03:14 PM »

I just rode my 10 SEUC 2500 miles with the loud clacking noise at idle and it ran pretty good in the cooler temps. I am scheduled in tomorrow evening because my dealer want's to teardown the motor and check clearances and tolerances on the motor. At 1000 miles they told me I have a good case of Piston Slap that everyone has told me is normal but I sure didn't have that on my 08 SEUC. The dealer feels there is a real need to tear into the motor and determine what is causing all these weird noises and fix it right. I have 5800 miles on the bike now. The only draw back is getting a stock Ultra as a loaner with Honda quiet pipes. I'm thankful that my dealer is working with me and treating me like a customer.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 05:22:01 PM »

I just rode my 10 SEUC 2500 miles with the loud clacking noise at idle and it ran pretty good in the cooler temps. I am scheduled in tomorrow evening because my dealer want's to teardown the motor and check clearances and tolerances on the motor. At 1000 miles they told me I have a good case of Piston Slap that everyone has told me is normal but I sure didn't have that on my 08 SEUC. The dealer feels there is a real need to tear into the motor and determine what is causing all these weird noises and fix it right. I have 5800 miles on the bike now. The only draw back is getting a stock Ultra as a loaner with Honda quiet pipes. I'm thankful that my dealer is working with me and treating me like a customer.

go for it sounds like a heck of a deal :cucumber:
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »

Sounds like you have a good dealer!
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 09:46:28 AM »

I think what the service writer tried to tell me Friday night was that after they tore it down the Master Tech found the crank to tight under tolerance. I will find out more details today because they need to work with Mother Harley Tech Support.
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 10:03:24 AM »

I think what the service writer tried to tell me Friday night was that after they tore it down the Master Tech found the crank to tight under tolerance. I will find out more details today because they need to work with Mother Harley Tech Support.
?????

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 11:01:16 AM »

Trapperdog,
                That is what is confusing. I believe he meant to say that the Fly Wheel is excessively tight.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 02:47:24 PM »

Only thing the phrase "too tight" makes come to mind is side play measurement, either connecting rod or total assembly. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Foolhardy

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2010, 09:01:16 AM »

Call it a knock, a tinkle or a rattle - I've got one - left sided, sounds like toward top end.  Seems power is also down on previous, prior to service (400 miles ago).  Nearly 4 months old and also around 6000 miles (10,500km).  Only thing changed at last service was the SE Supertrapp style exhausts which they say the ECM will auto tune to - though I was looking to get the Supertuner fitted.  Rattle can't be a result of lean fuel.........can it?

Dealer says noise is definitely there and not a figment of my imagination but they don't know what it is and will have to take the unit to bits to find out.  Problem is there are only 2 techs in the shop at the moment so I gotta wait in line.

So is it liners, piston slap, valves, rockers or something totally different??

Anyone have any happy endings with this kinda problem?? 

2010 CVO Street Glide (Candy Concorde)

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2010, 09:21:23 AM »

Crank and Flywheel. Bike is in the Black Hole at Dealer. Some month they will get new motor and hopefully it will produce better than last motor.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:29:56 AM by DESERTBEAR54 »

harleyguynv

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC Red & Black
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 09:26:16 AM »

Call it a knock, a tinkle or a rattle - I've got one - left sided, sounds like toward top end.  Seems power is also down on previous, prior to service (400 miles ago).  Nearly 4 months old and also around 6000 miles (10,500km).  Only thing changed at last service was the SE Supertrapp style exhausts which they say the ECM will auto tune to - though I was looking to get the Supertuner fitted.  Rattle can't be a result of lean fuel.........can it?

Dealer says noise is definitely there and not a figment of my imagination but they don't know what it is and will have to take the unit to bits to find out.  Problem is there are only 2 techs in the shop at the moment so I gotta wait in line.

So is it liners, piston slap, valves, rockers or something totally different??

Anyone have any happy endings with this kinda problem??  

At what rpm's does it make this noise. Many of the 110's make a noise between 2600 and 3200 rpms which is piston slap, so I'm told by Harley Davidson. Oh and they say it is normal and will not harm the longevity of the engine. Not sure about the last sentence.

2010 CVO Street Glide (Candy Concorde)
[/color]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:27:57 AM by harleyguynv »

Foolhardy

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 05:44:29 PM »

Through the revs - gave it a good handfull to see if it made much difference but still lacking power and still had the noise - not major clattering more like a ticking - issue really is that this is new, not there before the last service.

Lets see what the Dr reckons.

Foolhardy

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 08:13:27 AM »

Latest update is the dealership will pull the engine - first check the rockers - I note some bushes or castings failing on other bikes - next it'll be the rest of the valvetrain and then on through the barrels / liners / pistons if necessary till the problem is diagnosed.

Good news is I've got the Street Glide demo bike for the moment while the issue is sorted - thanks Singapore Harley!

BadGun

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 01:46:03 PM »

First, I have a 2009 FLTRSE3--only major mechanical addition was slip on Rush pipes.

About 3 weeks ago, I developed a slight engine noise on the front right (rider's perspective) that progressed drastically over a 10-20 miles drive to the point where my girlfriend was able to hear it. I had a sales rep listen to it, and he immediately told me to shut down the engine. The noise was RPM dependent, more of a tinking sound, emanating from the right side of the engine. After disassembling the timing cover, it was determined the rear lifter had seized, causing metal shavings to infiltrate the entire engine ruining the cam, oil pump, crank shaft, oil filter, etc. Harley replaced the engine, fairly promptly. All services were done at certified Harley Davidson dealerships. I had about 17,800 miles on the bike. I was pleased they fixed the bike so quickly. However, there is no additional warranty on the engine past my 6 months remaining on the 2 year original warranty.

Moral of the story....don't ignore the new, strange noises.

Anyone else had similar experience?

Incidentally, the engine has a new part number on it, so there is an unidentifiable change in the engine. The only thing I can tell is that the gray color is a different shade from my transmission gray color. Would have been nice to match, but I am not that upset about it.

The bike now has a TTS and full Rinehart true duals.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 20 queries.