Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Need your opinion...  (Read 4204 times)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Need your opinion...
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »

Question for you... Are you going to leave the KTP on all the time?? If you're not why bother about adding extra lights, have more wires to connect/disconnect, etc, etc? :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Maladjusted

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »

Question for you... Are you going to leave the KTP on all the time?? If you're not why bother about adding extra lights, have more wires to connect/disconnect, etc, etc? :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Ahh... good question.  And the answer is no... the KTP will only be on when Maladjusted-ette will gracing the SG... or touring with the fellas!

Thanks FD!
2010 FLHXSE Spicey Rum
Lots of stuff

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 03:31:43 PM »

OK, first things first.  Do you want "bitchin' looks", or enough light to help keep morons from running over you?  My answer will always lean toward more lights and safety, but in this case I think you can do both.  Forget the full Harley option and go with a custom LED setup.  Look through the old SEEG2 section of the site and you'll find some solutions on the chopped tour paks that add a ton of visibility without the heavy look.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 04:00:53 PM »

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

In my humble opinion, the bike needs more rear lighting regardless of tour pak / no tour pak.  Have you ever ridden behind one of the integrated brake and t/signal bikes like the SERG and SESG?  I have, and even though the system must meet the minimum standards as set forth by the DOT, the visibility does not meet my minimum standards at all.  If you're the only vehicle on a dark road with no light leakage from other traffic and signs affecting the eyes of the person behind you, it's probably OK.  But in many road conditions, including bright daylight, I find the new system to be much less visible than the old fashioned tail lights and turn signals. 

I thought about this after riding behind a SERG last year and came to the conclusion that the easiest way to add some lighting would be the lighted spoilers for the saddlebag lids that I saw somewhere, or a custom LED strip.  Means adding some quick connect wiring to each bag, but it wouldn't be exactly earth shakingly difficult. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dkflhxse

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI
    • CVO3: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 05:34:06 PM »

Do I add the lights to the KTP?  I like the idea of additional lights to the rear of the bike, but I also like the clean look of the nekkid tour pak.

see the nekkid tour pak here:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=51745.0

Thinking of these lights...

Opinions?
I have a KTP for my SR SESG but only use it when riding 2-up or on trips.  I went with the Air Wing tour pak luggage rack (79179-08) and Smoked LED light kit (68271-08).  Very happy with the looks and visibility.  I have a third rear light (running and brake) when the TP is on.  Quite visible from behind and at eye level with most cage drivers.  Also provides some additional hauling capacity when needed.  No I don't have pictures - it's hanging on my garage wall - but I'll take a shot and post next time it's on the bike if anyone is interested.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2010, 07:01:35 PM »

Ahh... good question.  And the answer is no... the KTP will only be on when Maladjusted-ette will gracing the SG... or touring with the fellas!

Thanks FD!
Then in IMO I'd leave it be. I have a KTP for my bike that is maybe on the bike once/twice a year and then if possible after I arrive at a destination I like to take it off until I'm ready to come home.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2010, 07:03:52 PM »

In my humble opinion, the bike needs more rear lighting regardless of tour pak / no tour pak.  Have you ever ridden behind one of the integrated brake and t/signal bikes like the SERG and SESG?  I have, and even though the system must meet the minimum standards as set forth by the DOT, the visibility does not meet my minimum standards at all.  If you're the only vehicle on a dark road with no light leakage from other traffic and signs affecting the eyes of the person behind you, it's probably OK.  But in many road conditions, including bright daylight, I find the new system to be much less visible than the old fashioned tail lights and turn signals. 

I thought about this after riding behind a SERG last year and came to the conclusion that the easiest way to add some lighting would be the lighted spoilers for the saddlebag lids that I saw somewhere, or a custom LED strip.  Means adding some quick connect wiring to each bag, but it wouldn't be exactly earth shakingly difficult. 

Jerry
If that's the case then put the lights where they will be on the bike at all times.... not on something that is detachable and will not be on that often... JMHO.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2010, 08:08:25 PM »

Personally I think the little saddlebag light wings look cheap. I did see some saddlebag lids that had led light strips that were cut into the larger vertical section of the lids that looked really good. I'll try to find a pic.

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2010, 08:14:24 PM »

http://www.milwaukeebagger.com/

Something like this  look under saddlebag lids
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 08:16:02 PM by BUBBLEHEAD »

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2010, 09:28:54 PM »

If the extra light is a must have, why not install the airwing luggage rack with the led lighting. This gives you lighting and more storage. IMHO   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:23:53 AM by Hawg »
Hawg
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 20 queries.