Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Author Topic: gopro  (Read 26326 times)

Ron Hawkins

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG Stardust Silver
Re: gopro
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2010, 12:54:18 PM »

I'm using VLC media player. Although I haven't tried any editing.

Ron
Ron In ICT
Silver 09 SERG
I.B.A. 45113

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2010, 10:52:15 PM »

Naitram, I finally bit the bullet too.  I bought a Gopro HD Motorsports model which has all the same mounts as your first "What's in the box" picture.

I only had a 4gb class 2 SD card and used it at first, but didn't get what I thought was a good result.  I got choppy/jerky frames even though I was using my helmet mount, which was really quite steady.  I also had the suction mount on the front left of my SERG fairing as I thought it was very smooth while riding.  Little did I know it would shake so bad at idle.

I thought my issues were the class 2 SD card so I ordered a 32gb class 6 SDHC card and tried that this past Saturday.  It seems like every second or so, very repeatable in the timeline, it like skips a few frames and then jumps forward.  Also even though I've been using the helmet mount which they say is quite good for smoothness in recording, I'm still getting some focusing issues.  None of my videos have looked as clear as the test ones you've posted.

I've been reading that lots of people are getting this choppy video thing and most attribute it to their PC not having the guts to process quickly enough.  I've got a dual core 2.6 ghz speed with a video card with 2 gig of on board memory along with 4 gig of ram on the motherboard.  I would think that I have the processing power to do the job.

I'm wondering if I have a bad camera.  I've read LOTS of reviews and some have not been the best for the Gopro.  I liked the features of the Gopro but the Vholdr Contour seemed to have a better review rate with the different independent reviewers, but it sucked on the mic and the unit was not waterproof.

So has anyone here had the choppy / jerky video I'm getting?  I've sent a couple support e-mails to Gopro and I'll see what happens from them.

Naitram, I have the curved slide mounts on my helmet, one on the left side and one on front.  The front one I did Saturday to try and get a better view being higher and now not having the helmet in the corner of the video frame.  I slid in the bracket that has the curved up mount that uses the three little screws to bolt it together.  I slid it into the curved mount before I stuck it to the helmet and while sliding it apart one of the little locking ears broke off in my fingers.  So I tried one of the other bracket and it locked into place.  But... it was very loose in the curved sticky slide mount.  It wobbled about and I had to take an old credit card type of material and cut a shim and use it in the top just before the bracket bottomed out in the slide mount.  When done this way there is no slop in the bracket and mount.  Any of the new slide mounts I have when the bracket is slid in, has slop in them.  I think the fit is very poor and this cannot help on vibration in the videos.

How does your brackets fit into the slide mounts?  Loose or tight?

I'm enjoying my quest to get through the rough stuff with mounts etc like you've been working through.  Although it looks dorky to have the Gopro out front on the helmet, it does give a lot of viewing experience to the video because you can turn your head and capture whatever you turn your head to look at, unlike a cycle mounted camera.

Sorry for the length of this, I'm just thinking out loud a lot and writing down my thoughts or questions.

I think these new cameras will be great once we get them figured out.

Thank you for your information to date, it's been very enlightening.

Thanks again.

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2010, 09:55:57 AM »

Dan, i to broke one of the quick release clips. since moving to the tripod mount the camera is much more stable on the bike. a bit more work to mount it when i want to use it, but worth the trouble.

i sent a email to gopro support asking them to make AMPS compatible mounts they said others have asked for this and if there is enough interest they would probally do it.

my thought was since i already have a techmount on the crash bar i would then have a very stable mount for the gopro.

depending on when your camera was packaged it might not have the most up to date firmware on it. might want to check into that for the choppy video issue

http://www.goprocamera.com/support/hdheroupdate.php
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2010, 12:58:41 PM »

Dan, i to broke one of the quick release clips. since moving to the tripod mount the camera is much more stable on the bike. a bit more work to mount it when i want to use it, but worth the trouble.

i sent a email to gopro support asking them to make AMPS compatible mounts they said others have asked for this and if there is enough interest they would probally do it.

my thought was since i already have a techmount on the crash bar i would then have a very stable mount for the gopro.

depending on when your camera was packaged it might not have the most up to date firmware on it. might want to check into that for the choppy video issue

http://www.goprocamera.com/support/hdheroupdate.php

Naitram, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did the latest updated firmware to include the new UP/DWN as well as the streaming option etc.

I really thought my fairing was quite stable, even at idle, but when I had the Gopro mounted on the end of the suction mount, it vibrated so much my wife got excited...

I've watched your videos several times and I'm not sure I like the down low POV.  Maybe if I had a more stable mount that the long suction mount, the fairing position might be okay.  Although with the helmet mount, you do have the flexibility to direct your POV to capture wildlife etc.

So, have you had any choppy / jerky videos?  I've use everything but the 60fps mode and they all have the same evenly spaced jerk in the video.  Of course if I'm sitting still the video looks better.

I'll let you know what Gopro says on my two support e-mails this past weekend.

Thanks again for sharing this information.

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2010, 01:28:59 PM »

only video mode i have used is the 720 30FPS never had the problem you have

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2010, 01:48:05 PM »

only video mode i have used is the 720 30FPS never had the problem you have

Thanks.

Did you by chance have loose fitting slide in brackets in your stick on slide mounts?
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2010, 01:58:15 PM »

the clip that broke was pretty snug, but another one was on the loose side. did you push the white spacer in after you clipped in?

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »

the clip that broke was pretty snug, but another one was on the loose side. did you push the white spacer in after you clipped in?

I've done it both ways, with / without.  The slide in bracket rocks lengthwise within the slide mount.  I ended up sliding a plastic shim (old credit card) under the trailing edge of the slide bracket just as it was about to snap in place.  With the little thin shim it locks in really tight and there is no motion on the slide bracket to slide mount.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2011, 06:53:56 PM »

Naitram, thanks for the reply.

Yes, I did the latest updated firmware to include the new UP/DWN as well as the streaming option etc.

I really thought my fairing was quite stable, even at idle, but when I had the Gopro mounted on the end of the suction mount, it vibrated so much my wife got excited...

I've watched your videos several times and I'm not sure I like the down low POV.  Maybe if I had a more stable mount that the long suction mount, the fairing position might be okay.  Although with the helmet mount, you do have the flexibility to direct your POV to capture wildlife etc.

So, have you had any choppy / jerky videos?  I've use everything but the 60fps mode and they all have the same evenly spaced jerk in the video.  Of course if I'm sitting still the video looks better.

I'll let you know what Gopro says on my two support e-mails this past weekend.

Thanks again for sharing this information.

Dan

Naitram, I had mentioned back in November that with my Gopro and my computer that when reviewing the footage it would buffer up to about 2 seconds and then jump forward.  All my videos regardless of resolution were the same.  I contacted the support people and they said that it was still probably my PC that was the issue.

I have since upgraded to a Radeon HG 5570 with 1gb of DDR3 memory and I still have the jerky issues.  The PC is a HP duo core 4200 with XP and 4gb of DDR2 ram.  Even after the upgrades, it's still jerky.

I now have the LCD Backpack and that does just fine on replays so I hooked it up to my Mitsubishi DLP 73" via the mini HDMI cable and it played great without any jerky buffering at all.  So the bottom line my PC, even as fast and well equipped I thought it was, is not good enough.

I just broke loose with some cash and had a new PC built for me, should pick it up tomorrow afternoon.  I got the Gigabyte X58 UD3R motherboard, Intel C i7 950, Corsair DDR3 12gb 3x4 1333, Corsair 600T case, GeForce GTX460 1gb DDR5, Thermalake TR2 RX750w PSU, LG 10x Blu-Ray/DVD/CD lightsribe burner,Hauppauge HVR-2250 dual HD/Analog tuner with dual recorder capabilities and to transmit to the home receiver a Iogear wireless HDMI module/receiver.  I hope to incorporate this more into my home entertainment center.

With all this new gear I better be able to make a darn video without any jerky buffering of the video.

I hope to start using my Gopro more often now.  I didn't get mine until just about the end of last season.  I have a Youtube account, how do I insert a Youtube clip in the forum?

Thanks for all the advice last year.  Have you done anything to your mounts or Gopro that would help a newbie like me?  I will say the LCD Backpack has been a big help in getting the camera set correctly.

Later...

:2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2011, 07:00:16 PM »

i bought a new mount i found on line and modified my techmount to fit with it, havent been able to ride yet but its a much more rigid mount now and i dont feel like i could loose the camera

i removed the bottom piece and attached the top piece to my techmount

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2011, 07:02:02 PM »

not a great pic but you get the idea

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »

there is a youtube button above the smileys you can use that and put the URL of the youtube page in it

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2011, 07:14:10 PM »

That's a great looking new mount for the Gopro.  It looks much more substantial than anything that Gopro offers.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »

helm mounted

and just around the block, as you may call it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoTczP5snq0
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2011, 09:09:49 AM »

Are you able to pull stills out of the vids?
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.