Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: X PIPE WITH 2 1/4 BAFFLES  (Read 1738 times)

hondo

X PIPE WITH 2 1/4 BAFFLES
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »

I have recently installed the fullsac x-pipe with 2 1/4 baffles on my 2010 sesg,  I am a little disappointed in the sound, I was expecting a louder more powerful sound. Any tips or ideas out there on what I can do to increase the exhaust tone?  I was thinking about wrapping the baffles with
sheet metal to gain more of a straight pipe effect, I also have an extra set of 1 3/4 fullsac baffles.
(I am using a PCV)   Thanks in advance

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
Re: X PIPE WITH 2 1/4 BAFFLES
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 10:47:10 PM »

I have recently installed the fullsac x-pipe with 2 1/4 baffles on my 2010 sesg,  I am a little disappointed in the sound, I was expecting a louder more powerful sound. Any tips or ideas out there on what I can do to increase the exhaust tone?  I was thinking about wrapping the baffles with
sheet metal to gain more of a straight pipe effect, I also have an extra set of 1 3/4 fullsac baffles.

Not loud enough? Really? OK. 1st, pull the packing. Still not loud enough, start covering louvers with thin sheet metal and hose clamps.
Cover them all and you will have drag pipes.

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 11:46:40 PM »

Just thinking maybe you should start at drag pipes and work backwards?
People have said Rhineharts and some of the V&H mufflers are much louder. You can always go to true duals, they are louder. Check out what your friends have, buy them, and ship yours to me!!!

:2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

hondo

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 01:57:21 AM »

Hey Steve thanks for your reply, before I switched to your x pipe I had true duals with the same 2 1/4 baffles, The sound had quite a bark when I cracked the throttle, do you think taking the packing out of the muffler might give me that sound again, do you know anyone who has removed that packing?  just curious what kind of tone that might give me........... by the way the x pipe is awesum! great fit, installation was easy and the bike feels to run a little stronger. Thanks again.................

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 11:36:21 AM »

Hey Steve thanks for your reply, before I switched to your x pipe I had true duals with the same 2 1/4 baffles, The sound had quite a bark when I cracked the throttle, do you think taking the packing out of the muffler might give me that sound again, do you know anyone who has removed that packing?  just curious what kind of tone that might give me........... by the way the x pipe is awesum! great fit, installation was easy and the bike feels to run a little stronger. Thanks again.................

True duals will always have a distinct sound as the separated exhaust notes are played back and forth between the two mufflers.
The X-pipe is a 2 into 1 before it splits the combined exhaust notes into the two mufflers. Definitely a crisper more tuned sound, and quieter than duals.
Pull the packing out of both mufflers and try it. If more of your neighbors flip you off, you know your going the right direction. Just kidding.
Testing is fun, go for it!

Steve
Fullsac Performance

hondo

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 02:25:41 PM »

Just an update if anyone is interested,  I pulled the packing and that made little difference in the loudness of the sound,  so next I covered about three quarters of the baffle with sheet metal,  GREAT sound now, not obnoxius but a steady sound, don't have to twist the throttle
to get some pop!

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »

Just an update if anyone is interested,  I pulled the packing and that made little difference in the loudness of the sound,  so next I covered about three quarters of the baffle with sheet metal,  GREAT sound now, not obnoxius but a steady sound, don't have to twist the throttle
to get some pop!

Which end of the louvers did you cover? You would be amazed at the difference from front to back in terms of tone.

Steve

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 11:49:36 PM »

why, which end would you recommend to cover?
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 01:00:35 AM »

why, which end would you recommend to cover?

Having a 10" section of straight pipe after the louvers will tend to give a real snarl on decell.
Running the louvers to the very end of the mufflers smooths the decell and overal tone.
Its all personal preferance. On my production CVO cores I leave about 5" of straight tube after the louvers.
Gives a noticable decell rumble, but nothing too crazy.

Steve
Fullsac Performance

hondo

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 08:17:26 PM »

I used some heat shields from an old set of pipes,  these shields fit snug over half the circumference of the 2 1/4" baffles. So after cutting the disired lengths I covered all the louvers on one side of the baffle front to rear, then I cut a shorter piece and covered part of the other side, leaving about 3" open louvers in front and rear.  it was a guess but I really think the sound is great,  there is some decel pop but I had that before, except now its a little louder. What I think I need now is a good tune as in TTS instead of the PCV I am running, I believe that would really open up this 110" motor.

Thanks Steve for your input, maybe you should make up some baffles with less louvers for hard of hearing guys like myself ..................... cheers!

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »

I'm pleased with my 2.25" fullsac baffles and x pipe, but I might try what Steve suggested as well- I wouldn't mind a bit more sound.

Although, I don't think you can beat the sound of true duals.....hmmmm.....maybe next spring.

Hey Steve, is your true dual conversion only for pre 2009 bikes? (thought I'd ask this in public rather than PM in case others would also like to know).
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.