Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Test drove a used 2008 Goldwing  (Read 11322 times)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: Test drove a used 2008 Goldwing
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2010, 08:32:43 PM »

The hondas are pretty nice but they are like making love to a fat girl. Its fun to do once in a while but you dont want any of your friends to see you doing it :bananarock:
Van, that's why you need to buy Don's Bannana Bushtec trailer......to hide em.  :o

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2010, 09:23:32 PM »

The hondas are pretty nice but they are like making love to a fat girl. Its fun to do once in a while but you dont want any of your friends to see you doing it :bananarock:

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 10:39:27 PM »

Heres my 01 looking at the dash over 120,000 with the only issues ever being the front fork seals at the 8 year point started to leak (fixed under warranty by Honda) and the rear end started to growl so I bought one for $10.00 with zero miles off a trike and put it in.  Factory one had water in the oil and the bearing went out.

Not a CVO but one hell of a bike to travel on.  Just my take on it.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2010, 10:57:15 PM »

ever try the kaw. concours

Yes, a little too cramped for me, and I'm 5'7". Also, when that fan kicks on, you can cook a steak over the side vents.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2010, 03:00:05 PM »

2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2010, 07:45:54 PM »

Control tower...FL26849 is ready for take off on runway 6...permission to perform!

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 10:20:37 AM »

Since I put the original post I have received allot of positive information, thanks to everyone. Eventually my spine will have had enough and I will find myself on a Wings or a BMW for the longer rides, with that being said is there any way to make them sound like a real MOTORCYCLE and not a sowing maching with a silencer?  I just don't think I can do it just yet. I told my oldest son I was thinking about getting a Wing since my wife and I ride allot, his reaction was similar to telling him I was gay or something. He was shocked, he just shook his head and said Dad you were always my hero, a man's - man, you just can't do it it wouldn't be right. I just can't picture my dad on a Wing, please reconsider you might just be going through a bad moment in life or something, it will pass. The other two boys said I couldn't do it either. I think if I could get a throaty growl of out of either one I could go through with it. I would love to see their faces if I could pull up with a mean sounding touring rig. Anyone have any experience on the exhaust options on either model? Anyone understand where I'm coming from?

Help

Ray G.   

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 11:14:24 AM »

Ray,

You can make them LOUDER, but you can't make them sound better. It's all in the engine design. If you have a back/spine issues, ride what feels best and don't worry about the sound. Have you considered an Ultra? I think it's one of the most comfortable bikes on the road today. Much more comfortable than my old BMW RT.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 11:43:52 AM »

FYI..... and it's probably already been posted, but I talked to one of my clients the other day, who is a parts guy for a Honda dealer.  He was telling me that 2010 will be the last year that Honda will produce Goldwings for a couple of years.  He said that Honda has over produced Goldwings and has 2008, 2009, and 2010's stacked up.  They will stop production until the inventory is depleted.
He speculated that when Honda starts production of the Goldwing again, it will be somewhat different... maybe bump up the engine to a 2000cc and change up the looks.

Truth?  I don't know... just what I heard.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 12:04:43 PM »

That very well could be true. I was at a local Honda shop the other day and the owner said they still had 5 '08's left that they were selling for $5k under msrp. I know that Suzuki stopped importing all but 4 of their 2010 models into the US.  With BMW reportedly coming out with a 1600cc in 2011 the wings could be jumping up to a 2000cc.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 12:25:18 PM »

Had read several articles all opining one way or another on the end of Goldwing production in the US with the closing of the Marysville plant.  None of them ever mentioned an overall shut down in production though.  New news.  Interesting if it comes to pass.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 12:34:42 PM »

:bananarock:

"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »

FYI..... and it's probably already been posted, but I talked to one of my clients the other day, who is a parts guy for a Honda dealer.  He was telling me that 2010 will be the last year that Honda will produce Goldwings for a couple of years.  He said that Honda has over produced Goldwings and has 2008, 2009, and 2010's stacked up.  They will stop production until the inventory is depleted.
He speculated that when Honda starts production of the Goldwing again, it will be somewhat different... maybe bump up the engine to a 2000cc and change up the looks.

Could be, back in the 60's when you bought a Triumph, it was titled the year you bought it, not the year it was made, Honda may be working on a larger motor for the new Japaneses version and with the economy the way it is certainly they have a lot of inventory as do a lot of manufactures.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 03:01:26 PM »

As I understand it, (what do I really know?)

Marysville Goldwing production ending soon or has ended and the tooling to be removed and shipped back to Japan where future bikes are to be made.

The 2011 year will be missing from production and existing inventory will handle the supply.

The Wing is scheduled for a major update and expect a lot of changes for the 2012 year.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 09:26:03 PM »

I test drove a Goldwing, just an hour or so, and pretty much agree with the comments.  It is technically, and according to specs, superior in most ways.  I was thinking of trading my SEUC for one, but after the test ride, I am definitely keeping the Harley.

To me the difference comes down to feel.  It's the same thing as comparing a big V8 muscle car and a high performance import.  The rumble and torque on the V8 feels faster and moves the soul, even if the turbo intercooled rice rocket outperforms. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 25 queries.