Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Instructions for the new GPS Interface Module  (Read 44286 times)

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
Re: Instructions for the new GPS Interface Module
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2010, 06:55:28 PM »

I disagree.  It also says that in order to listen to MP3's you'll need an aux cord to the front aux jack.  This module is supposed to be mono only.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2010, 06:56:31 PM »

I'd read that and thought the same thing Gary.  It could be read either way.  And many will read it more widely to assume all audio is interrupted than will read it more narrowly and think think that only aux input is interrupted.  But that's not specifically what the document says. 

I'm afraid the device these guys are working with is doing just what it's supposed to.  Can't know for sure of course.  But multiple installs with identical results would at least suggest it. 

Some tech writer might have been intentionally vague to spur sales.  But it's more likely the writer wasn't all that familiar with what he was writing about and wrote something in line with information he was providing.  Doing that sort of thing intentionally only bites them in the ass when the products hit the street.

Hopefully it'll do more rather than less.  I'll keep my finger crossed.  But I'd not be surprised if it's doing all it's going to.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2010, 07:00:17 PM »

What's it doing?  I don't read any difference whatsoever between having the module installed and not having ti installed.  It interrupts MP3's from the 660/665 with guidance normally.  What is it doing any different now, they're still plugged in in front.

jhleighjr

• CVO1: 2008 Anniversary FLHTCUSE3 221/1800
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2010, 07:02:09 PM »

Steve,
Is your unit a Road Tech? or a normal 660? I am waiting for a reply from Garmins engineers as to whether this NIM will work with a non Road Tech 660

jhleighjr

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »

What its doing is not what it is intended to do. It is only working in aux mode. it is not interrupting in any other moide like it is supposed to.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2010, 07:06:55 PM »

I have a standard Zumo 660.  Right now, I don't see that the NIM is doing anything at all, other than putting a hole in my wallet and yours.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2010, 07:06:57 PM »

What its doing is not what it is intended to do. It is only working in aux mode. it is not interrupting in any other moide like it is supposed to.

Everyone hopes you're right.  Trouble is that by the doc's description and by the behavior's exhibited in separate installs what it's specifically "supposed" to do (as opposed to what we'd like it to do) is still less than certain.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2010, 07:07:55 PM »

Twolane, what do you see that it's doing?  From where I am sitting, it looks like it's not doing anything at all.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »

Twolane, what do you see that it's doing?  From where I am sitting, it looks like it's not doing anything at all.

It is doing something.  Though not as much as anyone might hope given the product's somewhat vague description.

What it's doing is acting as a rear aux input.  Many head unit mftrs offer rear aux kits of some sort.  So in and of itself that's nothing new.  But it's acting like a rear auxiliary input that isn't a standalone aux input.  Instead it's a rear aux that overrides that front aux.  And that's all it does.

With it you could play music that would be interrupted by the GPS.  But only music that's piped through the front aux.  Given that the Zumo units are themselves MP3 players that's something of a redundant advantage to gain.  But that's how it's behaving.  Certainly hope there is more to it than that.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 07:19:05 PM »

And how would you know it's working as a rear aux?  The only way they are hearing notifications is if they are plugged into the front aux.  They'd hear the same notifications if the module wasn't installed at all.

jhleighjr

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2010, 07:53:17 PM »

The notion that this harness and module is working as a rear aux input is not correct at all. it is not working as an aux input at all. you have to plug into the front aux input to get any noise at all from the zumo. Even with the unit in aux mide and the harness in place it still will not produc any noise if you are not pluggd in to the front aux port.
Steve you are correct we both have holes in our wallets with nothing to show except a nice set of wires to hang on the garage wall. I think mine needs to go on the tree of shame at the dragon, because it has turned into a wreck  and the MoCo should be ashamed of what they are selling us.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2010, 08:00:38 PM »

I'm anxious to install mine this weekend.  I plan on leaving the Y cable off entirely, so we'll see what happens.  If I have the same results, mine will go back.

jhleighjr

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2010, 08:04:42 PM »

Steve,
Good luck, I've tried mine with the Y installed and without the Y installed, same results. as soon as i hear back from the Garmin enginnering department i will inform you with what they tell me.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2010, 08:10:13 PM »

I really doubt that there's a hardware difference between the units.  If mine doesn't work, I may see if I can get my hands on a Road Tech just to see if it will work.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2010, 08:20:31 PM »

I disagree.  It also says that in order to listen to MP3's you'll need an aux cord to the front aux jack.  This module is supposed to be mono only.
Where are you seeing that? I do see this "Kit includes adaptor cable that permits stereo sound from the zu¯mo's internal MP3 player or XM® Radio." however that could mean that cable is bundled w/the kit (cables). :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 24 queries.