Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Baker DD7, anyone done this yet?????  (Read 10926 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Baker DD7, anyone done this yet?????
« on: August 04, 2010, 05:13:57 PM »

There was a thread about this over a year ago.

I'm wondering if anyone done the DD7 upgrade yet?

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Baker DD7, anyone done this yet?????
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:35:35 PM »

Still thinking about it.  I like the idea of a lower first gear, but the stock 6-speed is pretty smooth shifting compared to the old 5-speed.  If I go ahead with my often planned upgrades it will be one of the items.  Slipping the clutch in traffic is not ideal.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 01:50:45 PM »

Still thinking about it.  I like the idea of a lower first gear, but the stock 6-speed is pretty smooth shifting compared to the old 5-speed.  If I go ahead with my often planned upgrades it will be one of the items.  Slipping the clutch in traffic is not ideal.

Gecko, thanks for the comments.

I think all of us will admit that a bit lower 1st gear would have been nice for the touring bikes.

I've done a lot of looking at the alternatives to the Baker 7 speed, but they all increase your top rpms at cruise.

If gaining a few hundred rpms at the top end is exceptable, I feel that the Evo Industries 49 tooth clutch basket and new primary chain is best option.  It's around $350 and you only need to pull of the outer primary cover.  It also does not affect your speedometer reading as the rpms change before the input to the trans.

With the trans output sprocket drop you have to do lots of work including the rear wheel to change the rpms and in some cases maybe the belt as well.

I would be all over an updated H/D wider ratio 6 speed gear set for the Cruise Drive boxes.  I know that H/D came out with a new helical cut gear set in their new bikes, but I think it's still the same ratio as before and I understand it will not fit the older 6 speed Cruise Drive boxes.

So, if you do this, please post the results.

Thanks again.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 09:57:55 PM »

I'm running the HD cruise drive 6 speed with the Baker F6F kit which gives you the helical cut fifth gear and an extra strong trap door and the Baker 30 tooth trans pulley. Take offs are much easier and you pull harder through the gears but riding with some of my buddies at 80 plus all day long I'm wanting another gear. The DD7 also utilizes a 1:1 7th gear same as Hd's cruise drive. Yes the DD7 with it's closer ratios would be a big acceleration advantage but your still 1:1 in high gear. I guess nirvana would be a Baker DD7 with a 33 0r 34 tooth trans pulley. Lighting up the 6th gear indicator light and recalibrating the speedo is no problem with the Thundermax W/autotune.

With the Baker helical cut kit you did not change your output drive ratio.  But with the 30 tooth trans output gear you changed them all.

If you put your stock trans sprocket back on and did the DD7 kit from Baker, you would have your top speed back with lower rpms.

The DD7 actually gives you lower first gear and then splits the shifts up equally to high gear.

This is the ideal solution to get lower grunt while maintainig lower highway rpms.

Personally I would have rather seen HD lower first gear and then do a slightly rider ratio 6 speed.

I don't normally run over 70 mph and usually running below 60 mph. I'm still leaning towards the EVO Ind. 49 tooth clutch basket and new primary chain. This raises rpms in all gears but you don't pull the inner primary and your speedo is not affected by the increased motor rpms.

Thanks for the input.

Soon someone will do a DD7 and let us know how it is.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Devil Dog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 11:18:45 PM »

My friend has the first production model DD7 on his 07 Ultra, American Iron did an article on his bike. Unfortunatly he has lost the use of his legs and never got to try it out, he won't even let his son take it for a ride.

Lou
Lou
USMC 77-81
"In GOD We Trust"

fatboi1959

• Junior CVO Member
  • It's all good!
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 10:48:43 AM »

Dan,
Not sure why I mentioned the F6f kit. It is nice to have 5th quiet again but your correct it's the same ratio. I also agree the DD7 and the stock 32 tooth trans pulley would be ideal. I recently rode a friends 124 with a 34 tooth trans pulley on an 07 ultra and if you like cruising fast at low rpm that's the set-up. It still has enough grunt off the line but once the clutch is out your moving right along so your constantly working the clutch in traffic. He likes it but his drivers record has a few speeding tickets too! I'll stay where i'm at as i like the ease of taking off riding two up and all the bags full on a trip. Good riding to you!!
2007 FLHTCUSE2
I'm spending my retirement one mod at a time

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 01:23:40 PM »

My friend has the first production model DD7 on his 07 Ultra, American Iron did an article on his bike. Unfortunatly he has lost the use of his legs and never got to try it out, he won't even let his son take it for a ride.

Lou

Lou, which AIM issue was that in?  I have most, but buy at the news stand when I get the chance and I may have missed that issue.

Sorry to hear about your friend and his legs.  Too bad about just letting the bike sit though.

Thanks for the information.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 03:57:36 PM »

Amongst other improvements , I am presently having a Baker DD7 installed in my '08 FXDSE as of this correspondence , I'll post an update after having tried it out.

Just saw it , while visiting the shop yesterday, sure is pretty !

:bananarock:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

hornhonker

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 12:08:55 AM »

So how is it ?
2010 Ultra Limited SE110ci
90 Honda ST1100

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 07:23:47 PM »

:cucumber:  LOVING the Baker, sure shifts, no clunk, no whine, definite neutral , outstanding......highly recommend !
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 03:52:48 PM »

:cucumber:  LOVING the Baker, sure shifts, no clunk, no whine, definite neutral , outstanding......highly recommend !

What kind of low speed improvements did you see?  Can you idle through parking lots with the clutch out and still not be going 15 mph?

Let us know the specifics, curious minds would like to know.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 12:38:11 PM »

How much did it put you back?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 12:06:28 AM »

What kind of low speed improvements did you see?  Can you idle through parking lots with the clutch out and still not be going 15 mph?

Let us know the specifics, curious minds would like to know.

Thanks.

YES, can now idle through parking lots and ease up in traffic without slipping clutch ! Closer ratios improved entirely but particularly lower speeds.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 12:17:41 AM »

How much did it put you back?

Wasn't cheap by any means, nearly $3k for gearset, but well worth it in my opinion.

btw the way, anybody interested in stock H-D 6 spd cheap ? I hear they make great doorstops & boat anchors.....

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 09:43:18 PM »

Just ran across a magazine ad that stated  Baker is offering a "try it before you buy it" program through participating dealers.

For more information, visit:

http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/tryit/index.htm

:pepper:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:55:26 AM by Shovelhead »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.