Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: can't see with 2010 cvo sreetglide head lites  (Read 13792 times)

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
can't see with 2010 cvo sreetglide head lites
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »

whats everyone do , when riding at night ,my lighting is bad :(

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: can't see with 2010 cvo sreetglide head lites
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 08:55:23 AM »

Convert it to HID. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 09:09:52 AM »

I keep reading this and I'm confused? Mine has the dual element and is far brighter than my softail wass with all 3 lights on. Didn't they all come with the upgraded headlight?

This headlamp came on my SESG already HID at least Low Beam

High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp Kit
Cut through the darkness. The Harley-Davidson® High Intensity Discharge Headlamp Kit features a true HID (Xenon) low beam bulb that projects a curb-to-curb spread of “blue/white” light. Compared to the yellow light of a traditional halogen bulb, the HID lamp produces a “Daylight Color Impression” that appears more natural to the user. The HID Dual Bulb Headlamp assembly features unique advanced optics with separate low and high beam reflectors dedicated to focus the light for optimal illumination. The HID low beam is always illuminated, providing a wide pool of light, and the separate halogen high beam bulb adds a focused shaft of light down the center of the lane. The HID Dual Bulb Headlamp is not just a high-performance bulb, it's a complete lighting system. The system includes the HID bulb, an electronic starter, and a ballast system. The bulb is a complex tube that replaces the filament with arc-producing electrodes. The starter allows quick ignition of the arc, and the ballast converts incoming power to the high voltage needed to maintain the glow. The Xenon-filled HID bulb is resistant to vibration, and has a life expectancy of up to 10 times that of a halogen bulb. The headlamp kit is DOT approved for use in all 50 states. The complete Headlamp Kit includes the shock and vibration resistant housing HID low beam bulb, halogen high beam bulb, starter, waterproof ballast, and all necessary wiring.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 10:12:12 AM by Wheelsnkeels »
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 09:19:49 AM »

I think the first thing anyone should do after buying a new Harley is to check and properly aim the lights.  That in itself would eliminate at least half the complaints about the headlights.  The factory does well to just attach the stuff; actually adjusting it correctly obviously isn't part of their process.  And the typical dealer doesn't mess with headlight aim at all during prep, so don't assume this stuff has already been done.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:35:53 AM »

I think the first thing anyone should do after buying a new Harley is to check and properly aim the lights.  That in itself would eliminate at least half the complaints about the headlights.  The factory does well to just attach the stuff; actually adjusting it correctly obviously isn't part of their process.  And the typical dealer doesn't mess with headlight aim at all during prep, so don't assume this stuff has already been done.

Jerry

What he said!  I've had to adjust my last 4 bikes.
Big Lew
IBA #595

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 09:36:13 AM »

Jerry
Concur.  If the lighting appears weak or bad at night, check the alignment.  Chances are it's aimed too low.  While the halogen dual element light that comes standard isn't as bright as the HID (don't know on the LED yet), it is fine if adjusted properly.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 10:00:21 AM »

I keep reading this and I'm confused? Mine has the dual element and is far brighter than my softail wass with all 3 lights on. Didn't they all come with the upgraded headlight?

This headlamo came on my SESG already HID at least Low Beam

Your headlight is upgraded but it is not the HID light. That is a further (as in you pay extra in pure HD fashion) upgrade.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 10:13:12 AM »

Then why is it described as HID Headlamp?
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 10:27:22 AM »

Then why is it described as HID Headlamp?
I can't find anything in the description of any of the CVOs that state it's an HID lamp.  :nixweiss:  

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 10:30:25 AM »

Unless I am mistaken you have what they call the Dual Bulb Holagen Headlight. It looks just like the HID headlight they sell. I went through the same questions on my 08 SERK. Maybe they changed things, but I doubt it. If it is there HID unit there would be a ballest in there so it's an easy check.

Just looked in the 2010 CVO brochure and HID light is not mentioned as being on the bike. I'm sure if it was the HID light, it would have been mentioned.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 11:16:35 AM »

The lights that came stock on my 10 SESG aren't half of what the HID is that Jim (hd-dude) sold me.  A bit pricey but well worth it if your age is starting to show through your night vision. :2vrolijk_21:

Most of the Nor Cal krew are using the HID and it certainly shows when we're riding at night. :2vrolijk_21:  While being much brighter, they're not glaring so they don't blind the on-coming drivers.  Much like the lights in a Mercedes or BMW.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 01:57:53 PM »

Having good lighting has always been a pet project of mine.  I had 100 watt halogens on my car back in 1976.  In my SERG, I have the HID H4(9003, HB2) Hi/Lo 6000K Motorcycle HID Kit from Xenonlink.  Pure white light and amazing performance.  It is the same color and intensity as the headlights in my Porsche.  The single light set up for the SESG is only $76 and takes under a half hour to install. 

HD now sells both a 7" round HID bulb kit for the touring bikes, 68043-06B, $525.  The book says it fits Road Kings but there is no reason it would not fit the SESG.   HD also has an LED headlamp now, 73390-10
for the same price.  Others have both for much cheaper, about $285. 

LED used less power than HID but I have not heard much as to which performs better.  Unless it is a lot better... I would have to recommend the Xenonlink system.   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 04:24:44 PM »

Having good lighting has always been a pet project of mine.  I had 100 watt halogens on my car back in 1976.  In my SERG, I have the HID H4(9003, HB2) Hi/Lo 6000K Motorcycle HID Kit from Xenonlink.  Pure white light and amazing performance.  It is the same color and intensity as the headlights in my Porsche.  The single light set up for the SESG is only $76 and takes under a half hour to install. 

HD now sells both a 7" round HID bulb kit for the touring bikes, 68043-06B, $525.  The book says it fits Road Kings but there is no reason it would not fit the SESG.   HD also has an LED headlamp now, 73390-10
for the same price.  Others have both for much cheaper, about $285. 

LED used less power than HID but I have not heard much as to which performs better.  Unless it is a lot better... I would have to recommend the Xenonlink system.   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21: 

The setup you describe for the SESG is only a one bulb setup. The bike has separate High and Low bulbs.

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2010, 04:49:33 PM »

The setup you describe for the SESG is only a one bulb setup. The bike has separate High and Low bulbs.
You have to buy one for each bulb
TJ

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2010, 08:08:08 PM »

laylonlor I agree with the poor lighting, i just had mine adjusted and it helped but it still has dark spots on high beam, my dealer wasnt surprised when i asked him to check it i told him it ****** and they were alittle low but still looking for a good upgrade.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 24 queries.