Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Author Topic: 30T and HAPPY!  (Read 104049 times)

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
Re: 30T and HAPPY!
« Reply #195 on: July 05, 2011, 12:30:54 PM »

So last week I installed a chrome inner primary, 30t HD sprocket and 139t Drag Specialties belt. First gear is WAY better, but in my opinion I liked the taller 6th. We put on 600 miles over the weekend, with the final leg being highway miles, cruising around 80 mph. The RPM's were noticeably higher, and with the high temperatures outside I would think would increase the temp of the motor. My biggest concern is the belt breakage though. Now that I have done this mod I am wondering if it is worth it. Because these 110's are so dependable I bought the 7 year warranty (stock belt is cover by warranty right?). Now if I break a belt on the road I will have to wait to get the 139t belt, and pay dealer labor rates to install it. Anybody know what a dealer would charge to do this? To boot, I now have a leak on the inner bearing seal of my inner primary. I am going to pull the primary back apart and replace the seal. Not sure if I damaged it putting the primary on or what happend. I am actually considering going back to stock gearing while I am in there.

In summary: I do like the gearing, just not sure it's worth have an undependable belt. On a road trip in the middle of nowhere and you break a belt, going to have to pay to get it towed to the dealer, wait for a belt, and then pay HD labor rates to swap the belt. My guess that's $1K by the time you are done, and a stock belt would all be covered under the warranty if it would even break in the first place.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
30T and HAPPY!
« Reply #196 on: July 05, 2011, 12:39:54 PM »

All these breaking belt stories make me glad I decided on the 31T instead of the 30T for my 09.

I wonder if the Gates Poly belt would be better than the Drag or Falcon- I heard Gates makes the belts for HD.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #197 on: July 05, 2011, 12:44:38 PM »

I had a stock belt break twice on my 2010 Ultra. First belt was probably our fault (bending etc) second belt we were very careful of the handling and it broke while a service tech was doing a test ride. Don't know if this can be blamed on the change in sprocket/belt. I think there are a run of questionable belts out there.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 . . . . . Fullsac X-Pipe - 2.25" baffles - Fueling 574 Cam's - TTS Tuner - 30 Tooth Pully W/Stock Belt- Wild One 575 Bars - Chrome Inner Primary - Kuryakyn Plate frame 9182 - Diamond Engineering Polished SS Bolt Kit - 8" Windvest - Black Agitator
« Reply #198 on: July 05, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »

You had a "stock" belt break twice?

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #199 on: July 05, 2011, 12:50:28 PM »

So last week I installed a chrome inner primary, 30t HD sprocket and 139t Drag Specialties belt. First gear is WAY better, but in my opinion I liked the taller 6th. We put on 600 miles over the weekend, with the final leg being highway miles, cruising around 80 mph. The RPM's were noticeably higher, and with the high temperatures outside I would think would increase the temp of the motor. My biggest concern is the belt breakage though. Now that I have done this mod I am wondering if it is worth it. Because these 110's are so dependable I bought the 7 year warranty (stock belt is cover by warranty right?). Now if I break a belt on the road I will have to wait to get the 139t belt, and pay dealer labor rates to install it. Anybody know what a dealer would charge to do this? To boot, I now have a leak on the inner bearing seal of my inner primary. I am going to pull the primary back apart and replace the seal. Not sure if I damaged it putting the primary on or what happend. I am actually considering going back to stock gearing while I am in there.

In summary: I do like the gearing, just not sure it's worth have an undependable belt. On a road trip in the middle of nowhere and you break a belt, going to have to pay to get it towed to the dealer, wait for a belt, and then pay HD labor rates to swap the belt. My guess that's $1K by the time you are done, and a stock belt would all be covered under the warranty if it would even break in the first place.
No - not by Harley or extended service contract.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #200 on: July 05, 2011, 12:51:45 PM »

You had a "stock" belt break twice?

Yes.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #201 on: July 05, 2011, 01:13:20 PM »

No - not by Harley or extended service contract.

Well that does affect my thinking a little, allthough there is much less chance breaking the stock belt I would think.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #202 on: July 05, 2011, 01:23:17 PM »

Well that does affect my thinking a little, allthough there is much less chance breaking the stock belt I would think.

Not sure what the big difference is, but I did this exact mod to my 2007 (maybe different tooth count on belt??) and it was flawless. I don't think the difference between the 30-31 is the issue at all. I would go with the 30 if I was doing a mod at all. It's less than 200 RPM's at 3k right? Which to me was good as I couldn't really tell any difference at cruising speed but could tell a difference in the lower gears which is where I wanted it. JMO.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2011, 01:48:22 PM »

Quote from: FAST380 on Today at 10:13:20 AM

Not sure what the big difference is, but I did this exact mod to my 2007 (maybe different tooth count on belt??) and it was flawless. I don't think the difference between the 30-31 is the issue at all. I would go with the 30 if I was doing a mod at all. It's less than 200 RPM's at 3k right? Which to me was good as I couldn't really tell any difference at cruising speed but could tell a difference in the lower gears which is where I wanted it. JMO.

My difference in thinking was because I thought the extended warranty covered the belt (7 Years). If there is no warrany on either, then the only difference is if the aftermarket belt is going to last or leave me stranded. As for the 30 or 31 tooth, I went with the 30 and have no regrets there.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #204 on: July 05, 2011, 02:05:07 PM »

Thanks for for the reply Steve, to answer your question I would have to say that I did have the 135 tooth belt as that is what is stamped on the Falcon belt.  The belt is way to damaged to attempt a count.  I was told that HD makes a 136T for international sales, maybe that is the same one you are talking about.  I will do the legwork for the Sportster info, but will a 136T belt be OK to replace the 135T.  If it works out great if not I'll go back to the 137T stock until guys like Dan can figure a solution for this.  If I go back to stock I will really miss the gearing that made the bike come alive, but I like the idea of making it home.  It seems some of us have had more than our share of various failures when attempting to improve the MOCO's short comings.  So far the info on this site has put the Falcon belt as the one that is causing the majority of the failures.  

So I just need to know by anyone that has the information if a new 136T can safely replace the 135T.

FAST380

• Elite CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #205 on: July 05, 2011, 02:08:44 PM »

Ray,

Have you taken your bike apart yet from your latest belt failure? If not, take a look at the adjuster and see how much the rear wheel could be moved backwards, that should be able to tell you if you can use a 1 tooth longer belt.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #206 on: July 05, 2011, 02:50:44 PM »

I have not taken the wheel of yet, still resting from the long walk home.  Not kidding, couldn't get cell reception and people were enjoying the 4th while I was training for a marathon.  Since I had to adjust the belt that broke a few times due to stretching I'm inclined to think that it will fit.  In all honesty all this seems like a band aid solution, unless a better product has been prooven to hold up I think we should be looking for a wider rear sprocket to accept a wider belt like the S&S or a similar belt that can take it.  A local guy I know had a 117 Hillside build and broke 3 belts in 2 weeks, he now has a huge chain and sprocket set up.  Yep cost him a small fortune.  

In my case you tend do allot of thinking when you park your bike and walk home.  Suddenly a driveshaft seems to be the answer I'm looking for.    

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #207 on: July 05, 2011, 02:58:51 PM »

My difference in thinking was because I thought the extended warranty covered the belt (7 Years). If there is no warrany on either, then the only difference is if the aftermarket belt is going to last or leave me stranded. As for the 30 or 31 tooth, I went with the 30 and have no regrets there.

Just to be clear, I meant the big difference between my 07 and the newer bikes with the newer frame. I didn't know if there was a big difference in belt tooth or such.  :2vrolijk_21:  :drink:

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #208 on: July 05, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »

I have not taken the wheel of yet, still resting from the long walk home.  Not kidding, couldn't get cell reception and people were enjoying the 4th while I was training for a marathon.  Since I had to adjust the belt that broke a few times due to stretching I'm inclined to think that it will fit.  In all honesty all this seems like a band aid solution, unless a better product has been prooven to hold up I think we should be looking for a wider rear sprocket to accept a wider belt like the S&S or a similar belt that can take it.  A local guy I know had a 117 Hillside build and broke 3 belts in 2 weeks, he now has a huge chain and sprocket set up.  Yep cost him a small fortune.  

In my case you tend do allot of thinking when you park your bike and walk home.  Suddenly a driveshaft seems to be the answer I'm looking for.    

Ray

An "OEM Harley" belt is available. 136T, 1" wide from a Sportster. Will fit 07-08 Touring with 30T counter shaft pulley. A Harley parts Guy can find it , no problem.
I abused one for over two years. No issues. I didn't know a 135T would fit?

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #209 on: July 05, 2011, 04:23:27 PM »

Well Steve now I'm really confused as I thought the correct kit for my 08 was the 30T sprocket with the 135 Tooth belt.  Is the proper set up for my 08 SERK a 136 tooth belt?  If that is the case I can order the belt today.  With all the different years being mentioned on this site the 30T sprocket was the common part with different lengths belts for various models.  Since I have 45,000 miles and the rear sprocket is showing a few small dings and dents would you recommend that I change that as well?

Thanks for all the replies Steve, really sorry to be bugging you.

Thank you  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 24

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 21 queries.