Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 51

Author Topic: What do ya do? or what did ya do?  (Read 42410 times)

TomInCincy

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
Re: What do ya do? or what did ya do?
« Reply #675 on: December 08, 2009, 07:56:56 PM »

Retired from the postal service in June '09. Just been taking care of all the honey do's and I now have more time to dedicate to the missions of the Marine Riders and Patriot Guard.

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #676 on: December 09, 2009, 03:18:05 AM »

I run two businesses, first we own a Mobile Dog Grooming Service called "Doggie D'Tails" and then second I'm the GM of a Ice Skating Rink. I work 8 days a week and sometimes it's just to hard to find riding time. Anyone that has ever worked with the public know that it sucks. I was in the printing business for 22 years until I got up on November 17, 2001 and told Karen I'm done. So we sold that business that was sucking the life out of me and my family and called it a day.
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

cuttinhorse

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Copper Head Road Qween
« Reply #677 on: December 11, 2009, 09:22:47 AM »

Great.....you and Don  (isellbulls) have something in common.  He sells bull semen to the dairies (so all the contented Calif. cows are his step children).  But don't ask me how he gets the bull's semen.....I don't want to know. :nervous:
Calif cows grazing on huge lush green pastures crack me up!  Those milkers are stacked in deep on dry lots just like every dairy operation I've ever seen.

Update to what I do: Last night I bought a Yearling out of the great stud Color Me Smart at the NCHA Futurity Western Bloodstock Sale in Ft Worth. Hope to show him next year in the same and make a good bit of cash.

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #678 on: December 11, 2009, 10:14:35 AM »

Calif cows grazing on huge lush green pastures crack me up!  Those milkers are stacked in deep on dry lots just like every dairy operation I've ever seen.

Update to what I do: Last night I bought a Yearling out of the great stud Color Me Smart at the NCHA Futurity Western Bloodstock Sale in Ft Worth. Hope to show him next year in the same and make a good bit of cash.

The area they do all the happy cows commercals is in the Petaluma area, and all but three months out of the year they are in lush green pastures, it's only the cows in the valley area that are in small dry lots. I before getting started in cattle, I owned and bred quarter house myself.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #679 on: December 11, 2009, 10:37:33 AM »

The area they do all the happy cows commercals is in the Petaluma area, and all but three months out of the year they are in lush green pastures, it's only the cows in the valley area that are in small dry lots. I before getting started in cattle, I owned and bred quarter house myself.
Hey  "Sperminator" (Don), what's a "quarter house" and you actually bred them yourself?  :o What size ladder did you use?  ;)  :P

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #680 on: December 11, 2009, 10:45:11 AM »

No wonder he got so much money!   :P

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #681 on: December 11, 2009, 10:46:43 AM »

Hey  "Sperminator" (Don), what's a "quarter house" and you actually bred them yourself?  :o What size ladder did you use?  ;)  :P

Watch out for those splinters!

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #682 on: December 11, 2009, 02:53:23 PM »

You didn't have a stud for that?

:oops:

Sorry about that, you left the gate wide open.   :o  :o  :o

In a previous life, included ex, my ex had been into horses all her life.  When I met her in high school, she was doing the 4H thing and then she eventually got in to the AQHA circuit.  My son, now 31, grew up on horses and did the 4H thing as well.  About that time was when we split and I thought that as soon as my son had to do the poop scooping and horse cleaning himself, he'd drop horses like a hot potato.  Fortunately, or unfortunately, he didn't.  He's married and lives in De Moines IA and has his own training stable.  He's been doing horse training since college.  The only problem with the horse business is that this is all discretionary money for his customers and when times get hard, they quit the "extra" money stuff.  He still has paying customers, but at one point he had all 18 stalls full, albeit I think three of them were his.

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

cuttinhorse

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Copper Head Road Qween
« Reply #683 on: December 13, 2009, 12:00:51 AM »

You didn't have a stud for that?

:oops:

Sorry about that, you left the gate wide open.   :o  :o  :o

In a previous life, included ex, my ex had been into horses all her life.  When I met her in high school, she was doing the 4H thing and then she eventually got in to the AQHA circuit.  My son, now 31, grew up on horses and did the 4H thing as well.  About that time was when we split and I thought that as soon as my son had to do the poop scooping and horse cleaning himself, he'd drop horses like a hot potato.  Fortunately, or unfortunately, he didn't.  He's married and lives in De Moines IA and has his own training stable.  He's been doing horse training since college.  The only problem with the horse business is that this is all discretionary money for his customers and when times get hard, they quit the "extra" money stuff.  He still has paying customers, but at one point he had all 18 stalls full, albeit I think three of them were his.

I bred a house once, spent the night in jail for drunken disorderly conduct for it too.

Cattle business has it's ups and downs. Never a whole lota ups. Tough way to make a living. Price of a good steak keeps going up but the price of beef on the hoof never seems to budge.

Horse business is funny. When times are bad, average horse flesh becomes a liability to have around. Really good horses with a proven track record always seem to hold value. I've been to all the sales at the NCHA Futurity this past week and you can't believe what yearlings out of the top studs/mares are bringing.

The Bolvine Gigolo!

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • ALL IN A DAYS WORK!
    • CA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG & 2011 Ultra -Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra
    • CVO3: 2013 SERG Custom Atomic Orange/ Galaxy Gray
« Reply #684 on: December 13, 2009, 03:59:28 AM »

Boy! this is a tough crowd  Well now you know why I got out of the business Hell if you can't spell them how in the hell can you raise them.  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #685 on: December 13, 2009, 07:53:36 AM »

Supervisor for a mechanical service company my specialty is boilers
Hawg

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #686 on: December 13, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »

Studied IT and Business-Organisation in Vienna, went
to Switzerland for my first job in 1985 as a programmer.
Actually System-Admin for a national transport-company,
with about 100 trucks and 4 remote locations in Switzerland.

Bandit
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 11:30:50 AM by bandit »
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #687 on: December 13, 2009, 11:53:15 AM »

I bred a house once, spent the night in jail for drunken disorderly conduct for it too.

Cattle business has it's ups and downs. Never a whole lota ups. Tough way to make a living. Price of a good steak keeps going up but the price of beef on the hoof never seems to budge.

Horse business is funny. When times are bad, average horse flesh becomes a liability to have around. Really good horses with a proven track record always seem to hold value. I've been to all the sales at the NCHA Futurity this past week and you can't believe what yearlings out of the top studs/mares are bringing.

I worked for a guy back in the '80s that had a bunch of very good cutting horses.  His stud's breeding eludes me know, but I know it's daddy was a World Champion.  This guy's name is Jack Marvel and he lives in Rodney Michigan.  I'm not even sure if he's still around in the cutting biz.  He used to have Michigan events at his place back then too.

All I know is that when, in that previous life, we would go to the Quarter Horse Congress in Columbus every year, I'd always have to go watch the cutting and reining horses.  In my mind this was more horse based than political.  Although I'm sure some politics played into the reining but cuttings was more black and white, did the horse do it's job or not...

During the time I was around horses, I rode a bit and was Michigan Amateur Champion one year in reining (trust me I say my competition was worse than I was and I wan't very good).  When I left that preious life I didn't want to ever sit my arse on another horse.

My son is keeping his head above water right now, but I can't see him every really getting rich doing this.  But he does love it very much and I guess if you can do something you're great at and love it at the same time, I'm not going to rain on his parade.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

bikerbum11

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • U.P. Cruising
« Reply #688 on: December 15, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »

I work at a technical paper mill and we are the publishers of motorcycle guides.. so yes, my office is the seat of my CVO
2015 CVO Limited

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #689 on: December 16, 2009, 12:52:14 PM »

General Manager of a metal stamping plant, previously owned a tool and die shop for 19 years.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 51

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 25 queries.