Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Progressive 940's  (Read 5041 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Progressive 940's
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:21:12 PM »

Just installed on a 09 Ultra. Could not believe the difference. Had to play with the pre-load, but it was worth it. $470 to my door, have seen several kinds that cost more.......could the ride be any better? Let me know.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: Progressive 940's
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 09:52:53 PM »

Where did you get them for that price?

Thanks

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
    • NC

Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

OTIS

• MEMBER # 806
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Global President Hillbilly Rocket Riders

• CVO1: 05 CVO Banana
    • CVO2: 06 CVO V-Rod
Fastest member of Hillbilly Rocket Riders

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 09:00:10 AM »

How do these handle going from single rider to carrying a BSR?  Neither rider nor passenger are light  :D

I always had to adjust pre-load springs on my other bikes, and do the air pump thing now, so taking the time to adjust is not an issue.

Thanks,
Roger
Spada84
NoSofa!

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 02:40:31 PM »

You may have to find your own sweet spot, no tools required......1 min job.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 07:43:35 PM »

DITTO,
Put these on my 07 a few months ago and
really like the comfort level and really helped
the handling in the rear.

TimBone

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 01:37:26 PM »

I have an 08 SEUC.  The stock shocks were too long for my short legs.  I installed the shock shackles that move the connection point back, thus lowering the bike.  This lowered the bike to an acceptable height, but when riding two-up and pulling my trailer, I had to put the max amount of air in the shocks to keep the rear fender from touching the tire on hard bumps.... and still happen sometimes.

Then I installed the Arnott Air Ride Shocks.  Now, that's $800 I wish I had back.  The adjustability is nice when going from one-up to two-up and when pulling the trailer, but no matter how much air, it rides like an iron-wheeled wagon.  With two-up and the trailer, it is almost tolerable, but still not good.

So here is my question:  What will the 940's do to the height of my bike and will I be scraping the fender with a load?

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 01:48:42 PM »

I have an 08 SEUC.  The stock shocks were too long for my short legs.  I installed the shock shackles that move the connection point back, thus lowering the bike.  This lowered the bike to an acceptable height, but when riding two-up and pulling my trailer, I had to put the max amount of air in the shocks to keep the rear fender from touching the tire on hard bumps.... and still happen sometimes.

Then I installed the Arnott Air Ride Shocks.  Now, that's $800 I wish I had back.  The adjustability is nice when going from one-up to two-up and when pulling the trailer, but no matter how much air, it rides like an iron-wheeled wagon.  With two-up and the trailer, it is almost tolerable, but still not good.

So here is my question:  What will the 940's do to the height of my bike and will I be scraping the fender with a load?

The 940's will lower the bike by 1" from the stock 13" shocks, but will still have the same travel as the stock shocks. You should not be scraping the fender.

LRebel

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 01:54:33 PM »

The 940's will lower the bike by 1" from the stock 13" shocks, but will still have the same travel as the stock shocks. You should not be scraping the fender.

Thanks!  I may give them a try.

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 02:09:04 PM »

Thanks!  I may give them a try.

I had the Arnotts too and never used them like I thought and went to the 430s which I found to be
very comfortable because I do solo riding.(Wifey has her own bike).

Then I saw the 940s and thought let me give them a try and they work real well once you have them
dialed in like the others.

I think the way you ride and travel you will enjoy the 940s.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 02:14:48 PM »

Most likely the lowering kit (brackets) you installed were designed for more than a one inch drop in ride height, thus the fender contact.  If you stick with the one inch lower shocks, and use stock tires, there should be no rubbing of the fender.  The bikes are designed to use the one inch lower accessory shocks without contact. 

My understanding of the 940 series shocks is that they are full 13" shocks, just like the stock shocks on your bike, but they offer reduced seat height through a little slight-of-hand.  A typical 13" shock will have approximately 3" of actual travel, and in fact the 940 specs show the same travel as a 13" 440 shock.  But the 940 has a shorter main spring and is designed to be run with more sag which will result in the claimed seat height reduction.  But with 2" of the total 3" travel used up just supporting the bike and rider at rest, there isn't as much compression travel left to deal with those big bumps.  It's a tradeoff that might be acceptable to some, but it can't be the ultimate in ride quality with that little amount of compression travel available. 

If planting feet on the ground is the main objective, I suggest first looking at alternative seats with a thinner and narrower rider section and boots with thicker soles.  If you still need to lower the bike itself, I'd talk to the folks at places like Works Performance about their recommendations for something like a set of 12" custom shocks to suit your actual riding conditions.  Since you also tow a trailer as well as ride two-up, you have some unique requirements that an off-the-shelf, one size fits all shock may not meet.  Places like Works custom build the shocks to your requirements, and from what I've seen their prices aren't any worse than Progressive's.  Just a thought.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

north rider

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 02:06:34 PM »

Any one tried the 2" lowering 940"s on a SEUC?
And also the front lowering, 1"/2"?? Progrresive or others?
I normally ride two up, is there issues with tire or ground (cornering) clearence?

Probaly already been asked in previous threads! But what hasn't

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 10:11:38 PM »

I just put 940s on my '04 SEEG and am tickled to death with them.  The stock shorty air shocks were the worst shocks I've ever experienced.

knothead

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 R-Glide Orange & Black
    • CVO2: 2006 V-Rod Orange & Black
    • CVO3: 2006 V- Rod Destroyer Orange & Black
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »

I just installed my 940's today....I also have lowering brackets, they bolted right in the middle notch of the lowering bracket and dropped it another inch without rubbing. I'm going to like this 13'' shock while lowering it even more. I'll need to just get them dialed in now. ebay $472 at the front door!
Letz Ride
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 20 queries.