Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Failed 110's  (Read 9219 times)

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
Re: Failed 110's
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »

For what it's worth I just had Cams,and lifters replaced in my 09 with 30k on it.

All parts that came off the bike had normal wear............sign of good maintenance the mechanic said :2vrolijk_21:

I actually thought I would have had some "unusual wear" on something :nixweiss: There are times I am not all that nice to the scoot  :coolblue:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2010, 03:44:01 PM »

For what it's worth I just had Cams,and lifters replaced in my 09 with 30k on it.

All parts that came off the bike had normal wear............sign of good maintenance the mechanic said :2vrolijk_21:

I actually thought I would have had some "unusual wear" on something :nixweiss: There are times I am not all that nice to the scoot  :coolblue:

I'm dilligent about all my maintenance on all my rides.... This is the first mechanical failure I've exrperiences in almost 120K of Twin Cam riding.... (short of flat tires and two failed charging systems)

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2010, 05:50:22 PM »

I'm dilligent about all my maintenance on all my rides.... This is the first mechanical failure I've exrperiences in almost 120K of Twin Cam riding.... (short of flat tires and two failed charging systems)

I should clarify........

I chose to replace my Cams and Lifters  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »

I should clarify........

I chose to replace my Cams and Lifters  :2vrolijk_21:

I had planned to as well... but not quite yet!

If its gotta come apart, I'm going to do some upgrades while its open....

Screamin08

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2010, 11:30:46 PM »

So let me ask this......Am I just waiting until my 110 motor craps out. Is this a given thing that is going to happen, or are there alot of CVO 110 owners that have not experienced these problems. I am new to this site and new to the motor. I just purchased a 2008 SE Road King with 110 and 5500 miles on it. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to help prevent what sounds like something thats just going to happen, Thanks

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2010, 11:12:31 AM »

Screamin08 there is no way to know if you are the lucky one or the doomed one, but based on what we have seen over the last 4 years, I hate to say it but I would expect you to have some problem down the road especially since you have an 08 model.   IMO the single greatest improvement you can make is to get a GOOD tune it will help a lot as these motors are running very lean and hot.  I would  put on a high flow air cleaner, lose the catalytic converters if you still have them and go with a cam that has some overlap such as the Andrews 54, Freedom YB14sec07, CR 575.  

If you have done the above the next best thing you can do is stop worrying about it and enjoy the ride until you have to worry about it.   IMO it makes no sense to tear into the motor unless you have a reason to.   An extended service plan might not be a bad idea either at least from the perspective of piece of mind.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2010, 11:22:08 AM »

One other thing to consider is if you have issues starting you might also consider the Screaming Eagle Compensator
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Screamin08

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2010, 04:18:50 PM »

Hey thanks for the replies. i was just in the process of getting the stage one done on the bike. I was thinking supertrapp 2 into 1 supermeg or the D & D Fat Cat. Probably arlen ness big sucker air cleaner kit.

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »

So let me ask this......Am I just waiting until my 110 motor craps out. Is this a given thing that is going to happen, or are there alot of CVO 110 owners that have not experienced these problems. I am new to this site and new to the motor. I just purchased a 2008 SE Road King with 110 and 5500 miles on it. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to help prevent what sounds like something thats just going to happen, Thanks

As Unbalanced said: no way to know when or even IF it will fail.... (Though if is probable)

I had expected more out of my 110 than 23400 miles.

Yes, I ride hard, I am dilligent about maintenance... I dont clean as often as I should though (It rains almost every day)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2010, 06:53:01 PM »

Hey thanks for the replies. i was just in the process of getting the stage one done on the bike. I was thinking supertrapp 2 into 1 supermeg or the D & D Fat Cat. Probably arlen ness big sucker air cleaner kit.

Not bad choices on pipes with whichever you choose, on the Arlen Ness you may want to consider Chrome Back Plate   ::).  If you like to keep your legs in a bit more you might also consider the flatter Road Glide Air Cleaner system it bypasses using the football cover and gives you a little extra to bring your leg in if desired.

What are you going to use to Tune the bike after the changes, I surely hope a TTS over a HD Super Tuner.   

Screamin08

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2010, 10:00:56 AM »

Not bad choices on pipes with whichever you choose, on the Arlen Ness you may want to consider Chrome Back Plate   ::).  If you like to keep your legs in a bit more you might also consider the flatter Road Glide Air Cleaner system it bypasses using the football cover and gives you a little extra to bring your leg in if desired.

What are you going to use to Tune the bike after the changes, I surely hope a TTS over a HD Super Tuner.  

That was going to be my next question....the last bike I had, I let the dealer tune it, and dyno it with a super tuner. Should I get a TTS and tune it myself without a dyno or tune it myself and then have it put on the dyno ...what do you guys do??  The guy I deal with at my dealership says his guys can get the most out of a bike with the power commander when they do it....i went with the super tuner when they had no power commander in stock right then :confused5:, but I sure would like to tune it myself if that's the way to go??
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:03:07 AM by Screamin08 »

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member
  • Be responsible of yourself.

• CVO1: "2007"FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: "2004" 3500 Dodge Diesel Long bed DRW 4X4 HD "Laramie'
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2010, 12:37:08 PM »

I have a 2008 SE ULTRA 110! I have a question for the group! How many of these engines of any year have failed and needed replacements?

My "07" failed at 6140 miles on the first engine. The crank run out was at 35 thousandths. I got a new engine out of that. The second engine started with an overheat problem at 9000 miles on it. I'm still fighting that one to keep it alive. I will not trust it beyond 200 miles on any trip. I missed a very important Memorial service 600 miles from home because of that engine. Total mileage on CUSE2 approx 17K.
I hope this was useful. :nervous: :nervous:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 12:41:43 PM by Vagabond6542 »
Expect the Unexpected
For FRIENDS are always welcomed, and ASSOCIATES are somewhat tolerated.  But all are equally rewarded with Karma...Good or Evil.

Montanakid

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2011, 11:57:51 PM »

I saw someone ask if they were still running stock cams? I thought if I upgraded from day 1 it would be covered by the warranty.
I did Bub7 TDX pipes and mufflers,SE super tuner, high comp pistons brought to 10.5:1 then Se 259 E Pro twin cams.
Have had issues with back fire on decel and coming out of the hole too much throttle with stall engine. Took back to dealer and they had all day on dyno and it's better but not right.
Just getting to 10 k and see what they want to charge for a 10 k service so I took to another non dealer shop that did wrk on my old fatboy and he said he could tune better with PC. I will pick up tomorrow. We'll see. Just to make a long story short due to accident and Geico paying for the new bike I'm wondering if warranty will cover cam tensioner issues if they go bad? I have factory 2 year and 7 year extended. Sorry for the length.
S&S T 124 LC Engine
D&D Borzilla Eghaust
Horsepower Inc Throttle Assembly
Hawg Wired 6 Pack System
Progressive Monotubes Front
Progressive 440's Rear
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 20 queries.