Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: CB/NIM Issue  (Read 4006 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Re: CB/NIM Issue
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »

Firestick Antenna Company has a great reference library online to help you understand what is going on with your CB, Cable & Antenna and what to do to correct issues.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

Unfortunately the 09 up HD antenna & the short replacement antenna's are not tunable so we are kinda stuck with crap again.  The only way to attempt to tune them is to install a new cable from the radio to the antenna & tune the length of the cable to help correct the antenna.

You can buy an adapter that will marry the firestick to the Harley stud mount. I believe it's Sierra Electronics that has those. On my '11 we got kinda lucky nad got it 2:1 buy trimming the antenna, Just pulled off the little cap m ground a little off the top  and tested.
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
Re: CB/NIM Issue
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 12:24:56 AM »

Yes it is:
Harley mount adapter      
Sierra MC  800 338-6938      
www.sierra-mc.com      
SIE-HARLEY-ADAPT  $10.00      

Now be aware, it is not a strong adapter configuration, the problem is not the adapter but the chromed brass stud that HD uses for their antenna mount.  Don't be mistaken, it is not Chrome Steel.  The chrome brass stud is ok as long as you use a medium spring from Firestick, tighten it securly, do not overtighten as you will break it.  NO LOCKTITE, it is electrical & locktite will insulate the connection & kill the CB Signal.
Firestick Spring SS-3M  stainless medium  $9.99.  If you don't use this spring the HD stud will break.  Do not use their stiff spring.
Don't ask me how I know that!!  :nixweiss:   

After the 1st stud broke  :nixweiss: I made one out of a 5/16" grade 8 bolt, cut the head off, driled a hole in the the bolt to match the stud that attaches to the antenna wire & and got a 5/16" adapter at Home Depot, drilled & tapped one side for 3/8" to match the Firestick.   

A little work, but if you want the best CB performance at it's maximum it is worth it  Buy the Non Ground Plane Firestick, with the Non Ground Plane cable.  Then make your own adapter & using an SWR meter you should be able to tune to 1.5 to 1 or less.

Do I still run this?  No, I hated the look of the Firestick, I now run a cable matched HD short antenna, that was really a challenge & no, it does not work as well as the ugly Firestick.  (Ugly on a CVO, ok on a vehicle)

I have 2 firestick antenna's, I will sell them cheap, no cables, you would have to get that from Firestick.  They sell them seperate.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 24 queries.