Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Going FullSac..and getting ready  (Read 4011 times)

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
Going FullSac..and getting ready
« on: November 06, 2010, 08:05:26 PM »

I talked to Steve at FullSac.  I am getting ready to do it!  I will order the X pipe and 2" baffle, and the Master Tune TTS.
Steve answered all my questions, about altitude and if I needed a dyno tune. (No) He said try the map he has if any problem call him adjustments can be made.
I bought the carbide bit barrel shaped w 1/4" stem.  $23 at Aviation Supply
!/4" Die Grinder from Home Depot $32.
The 2010 Service manual with Supplement for SE.
He suggested having a good light on hand to cut the welds. I have one and I appreciate the tips.

What do you guys use to cover your paint when you work on your bikes?  What do they use at the Shops?
This paint is awesome...I don't want to scratch...it !

I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

SID8D2

• Keep the Shinny Side Up
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride, Winter in the Midwest Sucks!!!!

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Black & Blue
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black - Spooky
Re: Going FullSac..and getting ready
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 07:41:55 AM »

I removed my muffler when I went to the Fullsac baffles. It is easy to remove, then cradle it in a bench vice that has several layers of padding soas not to scratch the chrome. You may find that once you cut thru the welds and clean up the surface that the stock baffle needs a little persuading before it comes out. I also had to persuade one of the Fullsac baffles into place to get my hole to line up. Once it's installed spray some black heat resistant black paint on the visible surfaces, let dry, assemble caps and reinstall on bike.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:01:14 PM by SID8D2 »
2009 Road Glide FLTRSE3 110ci;
Fullsac X-Pipe,
V&H Hi Output Mufflers,
Hawg Wired Dbl Shot,
Crank Welded, Trued, Balanced,
H-Beam Rods,
T-Man 110 Thumper Top End,
T-Man 662-2 Cams,
Woods Directional Lifters,
58mm SE Throttle Body,
TTS Mastertune, 
LePera Daddy Long Legs Seat, 
[img]http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4094.0;attach=138042;image[/i

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 01:06:52 PM »

FYI after you get the welds cut, it took two of us to get the stock baffles out of the muffler case. Just sayn...
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 08:58:51 AM »

Where do I get this type of paint?  Auto Parts?

Oh Brother...It will be only me.  I dont trust my wife around anything mechanical.  I hope I have all the tools.  I have a good sized shot filled mallet.  I will look for a good wood drift.

Thanks

RedEagle

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 09:38:07 AM »

Where do I get this type of paint?  Auto Parts?

Oh Brother...It will be only me.  I dont trust my wife around anything mechanical.  I hope I have all the tools.  I have a good sized shot filled mallet.  I will look for a good wood drift.

Thanks

RedEagle

When you get the cores from Steve, the ends are painted, but they need a couple more coats of paint.  You can get black heat resistant paint at most any auto parts store-Napa, Advance, etc..

When you think you are thru the welds, tap the old cores in just a little so you can cut the rest of the weld  out better.  Good luck.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 09:40:53 AM »

Also, when installing the Fullsac cores in your muffler bodies, make sure you have the inlet end of the core centered over the stub in the muffler inlet.  When you get the mufflers off, look down the muffler inlet and you will see a metal sleeve.  This sleeve is not part of the core but the muffler shell.  Do not drive this sleeve out.

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 01:29:03 PM »

Thanks I do belive I understand.  I will need get them off to take a good look.
Thanks for the tip about pushing the baffle in to clean up the weld.
Thanks
one other question to you guys.

What is the SE ventilator?  My bike is a '10 FLHTCUSE5.  Do I need to do anything to this?

RedEagle

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 05:12:19 PM »

What is the SE ventilator?  My bike is a '10 FLHTCUSE5.  Do I need to do anything to this?

RedEagle

It is what comes on the 2009 SERG standard-open cone shaped.  I put a SE air cleaner on mine-use the same oval cover but has a completely open back plate.

If I were to do it again, I would just leave the stock air cleaner on as it already has dual openings instead of one.  Plus, you don't have to worry about possible oil drippage out the open back plate.  Everybody else will probably tell you to change it, but I wouldn't if it were mine.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:54:40 PM »

REDEAGLE, After you get the welds from your stock baffles ground out, I would suggest you drill a small hole near the tip of the stock baffle, put a hook in the end of your slide hammer and give it a couple off yanks. If you have ground out the welds sufficiently they should come out pretty easy.  I don't recommend pounding them out from the inlet end because there is a piece  welded inside  the muffler body where it skinnnys down to fit on the head pipe. If you hit that part  by mistake you can pull the welds and make holes in your muffler bodies. Also when grinding out your stock baffles if you don't care about them cut a little bit off with a hacksaw then you will be able to get at the welds a lot easier. I went with Steve's stage one set up with the 1.75 baffles and really enjoy the sound. Not too loud at idle, but you still know your riding a harley when you crank it. His map is working great for me. Just got back from a 1500 mile ride with passenger and luggage. Plenty of power and good mileage. I don't plan on changing anything else unless something breaks, but If I do it will be whatever Streve recommends. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:41:30 PM »

Thanks Boatman and chadbiker.
Thanks I just didn't know what a ventilator was...I found a pic of one.  Yes I am keeping my stock setup.
I hadn't thought about a slide hammer but that makes a lot of sense.  I will get on or borrow one or check out tool king.
RedEagle

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »

HOGMIKE

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 02:38:20 PM »

Thanks HOGMIKE...Yes I read that about four times, and printed it.
To Jim Kerr  I owe you my thanks.

His post gave me the confidence to do this.

I just ordered my X pipe "B" and 2" baffles, and TTS tuner from Cammy.  I will be out of town next week.  I plan on starting my wrenching Thanksgiving weekend!  Woo-Hoo!!
Wish me luck
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 09:40:31 AM by RedEagle »

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 09:23:20 AM »

Thanks HOGMIKE...Yes I read that about four times, and printed it. I can't see his name from here.  I owe him my thanks.  His post gave me the confidence to do it.

I just ordered my X pipe "B" and 2" baffles, and TTS tuner from Cammy.  I will be out of town next week.  I plan on starting my wrenching Thanksgiving weekend!  Woo-Hoo!!
Wish me luck

FYI:
When you get your old muffler cores removed, take a close look at the insides of your cans, just to make sure the OEM screen and fiberglass looks ok.
THEN you can install your new cores, wiggle them around a little to make sure they fit over the inlet tube properly. Not a big deal, but, just take your time.
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

btg

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2007 FLSTF (not CVO)
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 06:00:15 PM »

Just ordered x-pipe, TTS, and 2" cores for mine.  Can't wait to get workin on it.

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Going FullSac..and getting ready..Update!!
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 12:58:11 AM »

I started last Saturday.
Day one removed the mufflers cut the welds!  WOW that carbide bit is the bomb!! Very easy!
Best advice I got is go slow take it easy.  My advice is get ready and without cutting place your bit on the weld make sure you have room and you are comfortable.  Then when you do start cutting do it like you are petting your dog very soft and easy.  I dropped the muffler on a pile of rags on cardboard to move the baffle forward then clean up the rest of the weld.  Still it was hard to remove it.  I used a slide hammer and it came out but it didn't just slide out.  I drilled the hole working my way up to 1/4" with about four or five bits, piece of cake.  The FullSac baffles slide in I used a piece of wood to aligned the tubes to get it to slide in that last 1/4 inch. and bolted it in.
I would like to see that fastener that looks like a rivet!  If you are reading..please send a pic and info.
Day 2 Sunday
I removed the exhaust system...while keeping an eye on the Broncos whoop up on the KC Chiefs and deal with the phone calls from my friends about the game.  Broncos best game in years..and I am in the garage *BS...
The FullSac X pipe fit right in there.  I did this work on my lift ATV type good lift but not a mechanics lift.  I got it all together and cleaned up that evening.  I did start it Oh Yeah it sounds different!  I only ran it about 20 sec when I twisted the throttle I didn't like the way the bike torqued on the lift so I shut it down pretty quick.  I need install the the Master Tune when I get back home I am on the road working, and the weather should be good for a test ride!!
When I installed the softwear on my computer it put about four or five icons on my desk top.  I am not sure where to start with this program.  Steve send me a map its at home on that computer.  I hope this is easy.  Anything I need to know about running this?  I do know to save my configuration before I download the new one.
RedEagle
ps i took pis if anyone wants to see but Jim deserves credit for the procedure!
Thanks Jim Korr
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 20 queries.