Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What helmet and why?  (Read 1664 times)

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
Re: What helmet and why?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2010, 06:06:34 AM »

as in Germany the law says only "helmet" (no ECE or DOT needed) we used Heritage helmets, very comfortable and extremly lightweight. But as all our neighbour states now require ECE we changed to Aviator helmets, a little bigger but ECE approved. They usually last for 2 seasons, are very comfortable and prepared for speaker installation.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2010, 08:11:33 PM »

About 95% of the time I wear a HD 1/2 helmet. For winter weather I also have a HD full face. The full face helmet was an expensive unit that was on the discount table that I picked up for $50.00 so I don't have a lot of $ in it but it is nice in cold and or rainy weather. No matter what you do sometimes you get the ole itch head, but I have found it helpful to remove my lid when we stop for gas or just a little rest or water, no matter how short the stop will be it seems to help. If you don't already do that. Oh the reason for the half helmet is, it is cooler and easier for me to turn my head to check for cages in the blind spot. I possibly would not wear one very much at all but we live in a must wear state and are surrounded with states with the same law.   
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

DOOFUS

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2010, 02:10:27 PM »

For years I as a full face Arai SIGNET in XXXL. Then I found the SHOEI RF1000 in 3XL and cld not believe how much more comfeortable.  At least on my head. And, according to my motorcop pals, in an "unplanned" get off your face will make contact with the pavement an average of 1.6 times.  I like full face for quiet on the superslab too.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2010, 11:19:43 AM »

Helmet:  Nolan Modular helmet, bought from J & M with headset already built-in.  Could get it cheaper that way than buying the helmet and headset seperately.

Reason:  I like my head.  About forty years ago (when good Bell helmets cost about $100) and a wise older fellow (at least 25) was wearing one I asked him why he bought one of those when he could get another helmet for about $15; his response was "if you got a ten dollar head wear a ten dollar helmet".      Not that it counts for anything, but that guy went on to start Memphis Shades.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 20 queries.