Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Want New Wheels. Should I go 18 or 21 on front?  (Read 24253 times)

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 seeg banana
Re: Want New Wheels. Should I go 18 or 21 on front?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 10:36:07 AM »

With a taller wheel the rake stays the same but the trail changes.  If you're accutely aware of how your bike handles in the twisties, you will notice a difference.
Can you elaborate on what the difference would be? How would it change the handling

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »

Can you elaborate on what the difference would be? How would it change the handling

One of the magazines that I subscribe to had an article on it awhile back, with diagrams, etc.  There's a bunch of stuff on the net about it but this will get you started....   http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/rake_and_trail.htm
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 10:48:24 AM »

As a general rule of thumb less rake angle favors low speed maneuvering.  More favors high speed cruising at the expense of low speed handling.  But this is all very general as the bikes CG, weight, tire size, springs, quality of suspension front and rear and a myriad of other things all factor in.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »

Here's one that shows the diagram....   http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_art/photo_02.html

Larger diameter wheel increases the trail....and decreases handling at slow speeds.  You mentioned that two guys that have the big wheel told you that it tends to want to flop at slow speeds.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 11:07:43 AM »

One of the magazines that I subscribe to had an article on it awhile back, with diagrams, etc.  There's a bunch of stuff on the net about it but this will get you started....   http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/rake_and_trail.htm
Thanks very informative, never was into the geometry of the bikes before but I am always
willing to learn to make my bike better.

So if you put a 21 on it will increase the trail and make the bike handle a little more sluggishly in higher speed
turns?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:09:50 AM by Banana man »

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 11:25:54 AM »

As a general rule of thumb less rake angle favors low speed maneuvering.  More favors high speed cruising at the expense of low speed handling.  But this is all very general as the bikes CG, weight, tire size, springs, quality of suspension front and rear and a myriad of other things all factor in.
I think when you raise the front the CG will go more toward the rear of the bike and my
suspension should be fine (progressive monotubes front and 940 touring shocks rear) don't know how
the other factors will figure in.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 12:29:43 PM »

I think when you raise the front the CG will go more toward the rear of the bike and my
suspension should be fine (progressive monotubes front and 940 touring shocks rear) don't know how
the other factors will figure in.

Good suspension will make significant difference Mark.  Every bit as much as a couple of degrees of rake or trail.  Have discussed with Terry and Otis and others that after making the changes to the Traxxion Dynamics front end or the Progressive Monotube front end that the difference gained made the bike ride differently.  The lines through the twisties are immediately different and you've got to relearn where to put the bike to take best advantage.  So, yeah, it is everything that goes in to the package of "handling."  You're only considering one of many factors when you think about the wheel swap.

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 08:10:51 PM »

I am fortunate to have owned numerous bikes over the years. I enjoy taking a new project then making if fit me.

Over the past few years I have learned the difference between stock (terrible) suspension, upgrades, and "individualized" suspension which is sprung to my weight and riding style. I love to ride Hill Country twistees.

For performace, I get rid of the cat and do stage one upgrades (with a tune) immediately. However, I now spend the next increment of cash on suspension rather than stage two performance. Stage two will be done eventually, but as I have learned more about fine tuning suspension, it has take priority.

There is a small persentage of the time I spend riding that I'll notice the difference between 90 HP and 105 HP (and torque equivalents). However, in almost all riding situations I appreciate predictable throttle response, less engine heat, and upgraded suspension.

This is a long-winded way of suggesting you read the supsension refeences carefully and then set up the bike for how and where you want to ride it.
live free and ride safe

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »

There is a small persentage of the time I spend riding that I'll notice the difference between 90 HP and 105 HP (and torque equivalents). However, in almost all riding situations I appreciate predictable throttle response, less engine heat, and upgraded suspension.

Agree with you 110%....all the power in the world is useless unless you only ride in straight lines.  Good suspension and knowing how to keep the bike in the right gear when riding twisties will allow a person to ride these bikes to their physical limitations...where you start dragging hard parts in the turns.

You mean everybody doesn't do that already? :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 01:32:12 PM by JCZ »
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

thouliares

• T-Bone
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 07:45:25 PM »

I have a set of 18" 2010 CVO Street Glide wheels for sale.. Chrome and Contrast, both front rotors , with front tire, rear wheel no rotor, and no tire. Bearings for both wheels imcluded.  1300 miles on them. They are perfect. No blemishes.. I'll take $1000 for all. The 18" look great, i just want more chrome. If you price all this out, its about $1700.

shindo

• Full CVO Member
  • 2011 Inferno SG

• CVO1: 2011 Inferno/Blk SG
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »

I have an 18'' x 4.25 r and 21'' x 3'' f  with a 150 and 120 metz on my 2000 Ultra. The bike rode fine no issues at all.
2011 O/B SG King TP, Woods 555 cams,DD fatcat,ThunderMax with more to come.

shindo

• Full CVO Member
  • 2011 Inferno SG

• CVO1: 2011 Inferno/Blk SG
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 10:27:18 PM »

ll
2011 O/B SG King TP, Woods 555 cams,DD fatcat,ThunderMax with more to come.

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2011, 12:04:58 PM »

I am fortunate to have owned numerous bikes over the years. I enjoy taking a new project then making if fit me.

Over the past few years I have learned the difference between stock (terrible) suspension, upgrades, and "individualized" suspension which is sprung to my weight and riding style. I love to ride Hill Country twistees.

For performace, I get rid of the cat and do stage one upgrades (with a tune) immediately. However, I now spend the next increment of cash on suspension rather than stage two performance. Stage two will be done eventually, but as I have learned more about fine tuning suspension, it has take priority.

This is a long-winded way of suggesting you read the supsension refeences carefully and then set up the bike for how and where you want to ride it.
I think you are right on target, suspension and horsepower work together to make your bike fun
to ride. Upgrades to both are mandatory!!!!!

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2011, 12:08:36 PM »

Agree with you 110%....all the power in the world is useless unless you only ride in straight lines.  Good suspension and knowing how to keep the bike in the right gear when riding twisties will allow a person to ride these bikes to their physical limitations...where you start dragging hard parts in the turns.

You mean everybody doesn't do that already? :nixweiss:
Terry, both of my floorboards show a lot of wear from being on the ground at times
when in the mountains. :2vrolijk_21:

Banana man

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »

ll
Great looking front end on your bike, noticed you lowered the front suspension
as well. Really like the wheel also.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 20 queries.