Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Author Topic: New Wet Motor Coming ??  (Read 18166 times)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: New Wet Motor Coming ??
« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2011, 06:19:21 PM »

Add to that the additional weight that I have put on and now I need a 110 to leave the driveway.  :'(
At least the added weight you've aquired helps you push that monstrosity around and pick it up should it tip over.  I'm not sure which is harder to take the weight off of......us or the bike.  :o har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

fatboybern

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2011, 10:54:08 PM »

you guys are all missing the big picture the whole reason why a Harley is a Harley is because the technology hasn't changed dramatically although now they don't leak or mark there territory they appear to be the same as they were in the 30s that's what makes them beautiful machines the day Harley builds only liquid is the day i have lost interest believe me i am a tech myself and do realize the power advantages of a liquid but i tell you if you want a real challenge make an air cooled engine make real power anyone can go buy a Honda and go 200 mph if you want a Honda go buy one and leave our beautiful works  of art alone and believe me you will never see me on the side of the road in a puddle of coolant with a frown on because my head gasket just decided to bail out on me or a heater hose that insulted the look of my clean machine and now has a huge hole smiling at me like i said you want liquid go buy a Honda or v rod which might as well not have Harley name on her sorry that's ;D just my opinion

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2011, 09:20:52 AM »

It's a shame they can't seem to figure out how to put the bikes on a diet.  Used to be that 600 to 700 lbs was a big bike. 
Jerry

After arriving in Maine, I took Bubba_T and his missus on a tour around the area. We stopped for a bit in Old Orchard Beach. A local kid with a giant Honda crotch rocket walked up to his bike (which was pointing at the ocean) leaned it over on the side stand, spun the entire bike around with only the side stand for support, climbed on and rode away. I cannot even begin to concieve of the damage that would occur if I tried that with LD.

B B

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2011, 11:20:08 AM »

After arriving in Maine, I took Bubba_T and his missus on a tour around the area. We stopped for a bit in Old Orchard Beach. A local kid with a giant Honda crotch rocket walked up to his bike (which was pointing at the ocean) leaned it over on the side stand, spun the entire bike around with only the side stand for support, climbed on and rode away. I cannot even begin to concieve of the damage that would occur if I tried that with LD.

B B

You'll never know until you try it... let us know how easy/hard it was and any trick techniques you learned..   :P

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2011, 10:47:26 AM »

LOL get it on video.

I saw a guy yesterday that went done on a black Yamaha rocket in a tight turn. It had a few scratches on it but did not look to bad. I wish I could have told him that the bike was so ugly before the crash that it did not matter much. Honestly one black ugly POS. Fast I'm sure but absolutely nothing to admire.

Harley's can get lighter but the cost of the materials to do so would drive the prices up past the stratosphere, where they already are.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2011, 07:50:06 PM »

If they just did a better job of cooling the oil they could probably get by for a while longer.  With six quarts, a few more passages and a good cooler most of the advantages of water would be there.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Half_Crazy

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2011, 09:00:43 PM »

i tell you if you want a real challenge make an air cooled engine make real power

I'm finished with that challenge. Anything else you want done?

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2011, 07:19:35 AM »

My 2007 RG with a built from the catalogue Screamin Eagle 103 produces all the power I need. And it's proved itself to be reliable with 22,000 miles since the build and not a single problem (knock wood) I suppose the case can be made that a passenger on a hot day would not be real comfortable, but unless H-D clones the V-Rod's radiator design, a water cooled H-D could be hotter than an air cooled one for the rider/passenger. I had a 83 Yamaha Venture that I damn near ran into Lake Winnepesaukee one year at Laconia because I was stuck in traffic and everytime the fan on the radiator would come on at crawl speed, all that hot air was blowin on me. One of the things I praised the hell out of my 05 SE V-Rod was that there was no excess heat from the radiator with the cowling they designed for it. So why am I rambling along on this when it seems like a problem with a ready made solution ? Because my gut tells me that any water buffalo touring bike H-D puts out is going to have to resemble what we're riding now to a much higher visual degree than the V-rod. The V-Rod was a totally new bike from every possible standpoint so H-D was not constricted by any expectations from it's customer base. Not so with the classic Bat Wing Electra Glide crowd. Or as of late, the Road Glide afficianados like myself. So there's the fly in the soup. You gotta make it look like what we've been buying all these years while at the same time making it fully functional. If the dam thing throws heat back at the rider/passenger it's gonna be a boondoggle. Soooooo, in starting this post I said I had all I needed in my 2007. I was not fully truthful. If I had a 2011 103 RG Ultra, I'd have the perfect bike. Plenty of good solid useble power in that 103 mill, heat issues resolved between the cross under the frame exhaust and the shields below the seat. So all this discussion about H-D producing a water buffalo is for me pie in the sky. They are still tweaking their air cooled bikes and that tells me they've no intentions of changing the platform that sells more large displacement motorcycles than any other brand.

Just my $0.02

B B

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2011, 08:23:11 AM »

I would think the ever increasing EPA pollution and noise standards could force Harley to go to a new design. You also have the Green people who push ethanol and alternative fuels which might not work on the traditional engine.
Just my .02 but if Harley could really do it right for once and come out with a motor generating much greater power (150-200 hp.)and the new owner could just turn the key and ride vs. many mods before running right they could sell lots of water cooled bikes.

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »

I'll just have to buy one of each. :jalapeno:

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2011, 11:50:55 AM »

B B

As I see it, the rear wheel needs to be spinning instantly or you would be chasing LD down the street and that should definitely be posted on Youtube.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2011, 01:04:14 PM »

Harley Davidson is a love affair. There are times they give you grief. There are times they need attention,times when they co$t you money.Times that give more fun and satisfaction than you could ever imagine.
There are also times that you can no longer tolerate  poor performance and trade for a newer model with a lot less miles.I have had fun with a lot of them and loved a few of them. It is all about choice. Pick your's,have fun
kb

Half_Crazy

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2011, 12:02:44 PM »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2011, 12:24:40 PM »

Very interesting...best of both worlds and unobtrusive. :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2011, 12:32:13 PM »

Have a gander at this:

http://www.harley-davidsonblog.com/?p=865

A few years ago was talking to someone who knows stuff about Harley stuff who said that one considered cooling option for fairing bikes would be to place the radiators in the lowers.  It made sense at the time.  This pic looks to be pretty close to that.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 12:33:58 PM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 20 queries.