Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Hard Bag Locking pins  (Read 6921 times)

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
Hard Bag Locking pins
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:29:28 PM »

Has anyone seen or heard of locking pins for the hard saddle bags? I have heard of saddle bags falling off when the twist pins loosened or worse stolen.
Hawg

jagerbomb

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG
Re: Hard Bag Locking pins
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:31:37 PM »

Brukus makes some Torx screws with their little tool, or just lock your bag latches.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:35:56 PM »

Brukus makes some Torx screws with their little tool, or just lock your bag latches.

And here is the site:

http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=brukus-motorcycle-parts&item=35502

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:37:13 PM »

Has anyone seen or heard of locking pins for the hard saddle bags? I have heard of saddle bags falling off when the twist pins loosened or worse stolen.

Lock your bag  :nixweiss:, I have never heard of one loosening. I have seen some snap off while putting the bag in place. I always carry 2 extra just in case.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 06:40:40 PM »

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 06:42:03 PM »

Lock your bag  :nixweiss:, I have never heard of one loosening. I have seen some snap off while putting the bag in place. I always carry 2 extra just in case.

I remember reading somewhere on here that there was one guy riding down the road and a bag popped off....don't remember if he said why...

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 06:45:06 PM »

Brukus Motorcycle Parts' Priority is Securing Your Accessories!

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 06:46:16 PM »

I remember reading somewhere on here that there was one guy riding down the road and a bag popped off....don't remember if he said why...

Too much on and off will cause it to get "stressed" and after that happens it's like flipping a coin  :coolblue:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 06:47:28 PM »

And here is the site:

http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=brukus-motorcycle-parts&item=35502

Thanks exactly what I was looking for. I have heard the bags are not that hard to get off the bike even when they are locked.
Hawg

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 06:53:55 PM »

Thanks exactly what I was looking for. I have heard the bags are not that hard to get off the bike even when they are locked.

On the 08's and earlier they were kind of easy... I'm sure you could still do it but it'd be obvious you were doing it.

You use an old school bottle opener to twist the locking mechanism from the back... on the 08-earlier bikes it was easy to reach from the top. 09-up you need chimpanzee arms to make that reach!

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 07:09:03 PM »

That was me last summer.  I lost my left side bag on my '09 SERG O/B and was lucky enough to have someone find it and hunt me down while I was looking for it along the road.

I always take the bags off when I detail the bike.  I've done this many times and have used the 1/4 turn fasteners on my Willy coupe without any issues.  I know that when I put the bags back on Friday night after cleaning the bike that I had them turned to the lock position.  I often lock, unlock and lock again to make sure that I have them in the wires and that I have them into the detent in the pins.

The road was fresh blacktop, but where there were creeks running under the road they would stop the blacktop for about a couple hundred yards and then start back up again.  Sometimes the stop/start areas were not all that well marked.  I was always able to slow down on the restart of the blacktop, but the stopping was not so easy at 60 mph and no warning where they stopped the fresh blacktop.  On one of those spots the left bag fell off and skidded on the outside and did not roll or tumble, which is what saved the contents from flying all over.  Both of the pins were still inside the bag and really looked good, no bends etc.

My insurance bought me a new fully painted SERG O/B left bag, but still with $500 deductible, it was not a good ride that day.  At $1,700 for the prepainted bag, it's worth looking for an alternative to the 1/4 turn pins.

I've thought about Torx or some other anti-tamper bolts, which there are many available for not much money, but I now check my pins everytime I ride and I often reach back and feel for the bags just to make sure they are there.

The 1/4 turn pins are probably not the best way to attach our bags, but that's what HD does so we assume it's good enough.

Sorry for rambling, but I still have a VERY bad taste in my mouth for the pins and how they "just" came loose, albeit with a lot bumping going on.

I recommend that we all check these pins on every ride and even during the rides when we stop.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »

Dan....So wouldn't this locking solution keep your mind a little more at ease about the bags?

Mike

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 08:15:42 PM »

That was me last summer.  I lost my left side bag on my '09 SERG O/B and was lucky enough to have someone find it and hunt me down while I was looking for it along the road.

I always take the bags off when I detail the bike.  I've done this many times and have used the 1/4 turn fasteners on my Willy coupe without any issues.  I know that when I put the bags back on Friday night after cleaning the bike that I had them turned to the lock position.  I often lock, unlock and lock again to make sure that I have them in the wires and that I have them into the detent in the pins.

The road was fresh blacktop, but where there were creeks running under the road they would stop the blacktop for about a couple hundred yards and then start back up again.  Sometimes the stop/start areas were not all that well marked.  I was always able to slow down on the restart of the blacktop, but the stopping was not so easy at 60 mph and no warning where they stopped the fresh blacktop.  On one of those spots the left bag fell off and skidded on the outside and did not roll or tumble, which is what saved the contents from flying all over.  Both of the pins were still inside the bag and really looked good, no bends etc.

My insurance bought me a new fully painted SERG O/B left bag, but still with $500 deductible, it was not a good ride that day.  At $1,700 for the prepainted bag, it's worth looking for an alternative to the 1/4 turn pins.

I've thought about Torx or some other anti-tamper bolts, which there are many available for not much money, but I now check my pins everytime I ride and I often reach back and feel for the bags just to make sure they are there.

The 1/4 turn pins are probably not the best way to attach our bags, but that's what HD does so we assume it's good enough.

Sorry for rambling, but I still have a VERY bad taste in my mouth for the pins and how they "just" came loose, albeit with a lot bumping going on.

I recommend that we all check these pins on every ride and even during the rides when we stop.

$1700 for a complete bag assembly?... what?

I'm on the fence about replacing the left bag on my bike.. seems some paint-jokey left a splotch on my bag.. like running out of paint in the gun kind... didn't really notice it till 3 months later.... and no one notices it but ME....  :nixweiss:

I don't think the dealership quoted me that much to replace...

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2011, 08:20:24 PM »

Retail price for the lower left saddlebag on my old Candy Concord SESG was $1594--and that was just the bottom part!!!!

The right side was only $1267......why so much less.....who knows??

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2011, 08:22:49 PM »

$1700 for a complete bag assembly?... what?

I'm on the fence about replacing the left bag on my bike.. seems some paint-jokey left a splotch on my bag.. like running out of paint in the gun kind... didn't really notice it till 3 months later.... and no one notices it but ME....  :nixweiss:

I don't think the dealership quoted me that much to replace...
They prolly just quoted you the painted bag without lid and hardware...the latch & lock assembly as well as the attaching hardware are all priced sep.  ??? spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 24 queries.