Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: shop replacing cams/what else should they check?  (Read 2599 times)

yellowcvo

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE
shop replacing cams/what else should they check?
« on: April 15, 2011, 09:20:33 PM »

I posted a topic (PCV/Warranty)I got answers to my question  :2vrolijk_21: I posted another question thought i would see if it got answered here.I brought my bike to the shop because of a new noise.After listening to the bike they replaced the clutch ,bearings etc.  When they started the bike they noticed the engine was making noise now they are replacing cams lifters all bearings involved etc.Should they be looking at anything else while they are in there??? Any info would be much appreciated  ;D All the work is being performed under ESP  :dankk2:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: shop replacing cams/what else should they check?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 10:14:21 PM »

Have em check the crank run out.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 10:33:59 AM »

Why are they just abritrarily replacing parts??
Scott

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »

I posted a topic (PCV/Warranty)I got answers to my question  :2vrolijk_21: I posted another question thought i would see if it got answered here.I brought my bike to the shop because of a new noise.After listening to the bike they replaced the clutch ,bearings etc.  When they started the bike they noticed the engine was making noise now they are replacing cams lifters all bearings involved etc.Should they be looking at anything else while they are in there??? Any info would be much appreciated  ;D All the work is being performed under ESP  :dankk2:

Is this a MOCO dealer?

First off, I'll give them credit for not just saying "they all make that noise", which seems to be the prevalent diagnosis with many dealerships. 

If they are searching for what they believe is valve train noise - then inspect or replace the cam bearings, cams, lifters, pushrods, and rocker arms.  They'll be looking for wear on the pushrod tips and rocker arm cups, as well as excessive rocker arm side clearance.  And as long as they are in there, check for crank runout, wear in the camplate bushings, wear in the oil pump, and wear on both the cam and crank tensioners...   :2vrolijk_21:

Of course, a noise could be piston slap, but they'd need to pull the heads and cylinders for that inspection.  Or a noise could be wear in the rod bushings on either the crank or piston end of the connecting rod - although if it were from a worn rod, it's more likely to be the tapered end of the rod (at the piston end).  And a noise could be an exhaust leak at the head.  Make sure they do not reuse the exhaust gaskets upon reassembly.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 10:56:13 AM »

Scott

I don't see where the OP suggested they were "arbitrarily replacing parts".  Perhaps they have done an inspection and felt that have reason to be replacing the parts listed.   :nixweiss:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:10:03 PM »

I don't see where the OP suggested they were "arbitrarily replacing parts".  Perhaps they have done an inspection and felt that have reason to be replacing the parts listed.   :nixweiss:

I think that post from Scott at Hillside was referring to the original post in a separate thread, where the dealer replaced various parts in the primary for a noise issue.  This thread makes it sound like when the primary work didn't fix the noise, they decided to try the cam chest next.  Maybe that's not what's happening, but I can see where someone might think along the lines of the arbitrary part changing theory.  Not that any Harley dealership we've ever dealt with would do something like that, considering all those highly trained master technicians they have on staff.  ???

Since it's an ESP thing, I wonder if that dealer got prior approval for all that stuff.  And I also wonder if he charges another $50 deductible for each item until he finally fixes the problem (or gives up and calls it normal). 

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 03:12:48 PM »

I think that post from Scott at Hillside was referring to the original post in a separate thread, where the dealer replaced various parts in the primary for a noise issue.  This thread makes it sound like when the primary work didn't fix the noise, they decided to try the cam chest next.  Maybe that's not what's happening, but I can see where someone might think along the lines of the arbitrary part changing theory.  Not that any Harley dealership we've ever dealt with would do something like that, considering all those highly trained master technicians they have on staff.  ???

Since it's an ESP thing, I wonder if that dealer got prior approval for all that stuff.  And I also wonder if he charges another $50 deductible for each item until he finally fixes the problem (or gives up and calls it normal). 

Jerry ;)

Perhaps...  I hadn't seen the previous thread you mention...   :nixweiss:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »

Scott

Scott, thats how mechanics that don't know how to troubleshoot do it. Just start replacing parts until the symptom disappears!
Jesus is Lord

mcflyer

• Junior CVO Member
  • IF IT HAS BOOBS OR WHEELS IT'S GONNA B TROUBLE

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 09:38:53 PM »

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR ISSUES BUT REMEMBER THIS.  WHEN ANY MACHINE (NOT JUST A MC) IS DROPPED OF AT THE DEALERS DOOR THERE CAN BE MORE THAN ONE ISSUE THAT NEEDS TO BE RESOLVED.  THEY OFTEN HAVE TO START THE PROCESS AT THE MOSY LIKELY CAUSE AND IN READING YOUR PREVIOUS POSTS IT SOUNDED LIKE THE CLUTCH WAS IN PEICES.  IF THE DAMAGE WAS AS EXTENSIVE AS YOU DESCRIBED, THE TECH WOULD BE REPAIRING THAT FIRST BEFORE CONTINUING WITH ANY FURTHER REPAIRS.  I KNOW THE MANUFACTURERS DONT LIKE TO ADMIT IT AND OFTEN WONT,  BUT THE REALITY IS SEVERAL THINGS CAN GO WRONG AT THE SAME TIME AND THE TECH CAN NOT TELL UNITL ONE GETS FIXED.  THAT DOESNT RELEASE THE TECH, SERVICE MANAGER OR DEALERSHIP IF THERE WAS INCOMPETENCE INVOLVED BUT IT CAN EXPLAIN THE ISSUES YOU HAVE. I WOULD NOT BE SHOCKED TO HEAR THAT A CRANK HAS BEEN TWEAKED AND IT DESTROYED THE CLUTCH AS THE FINAL CULPRIT.  I WOULD SAY YOU HAVE TO KEEP AN OPEN DIALOGUE WITH THE SERVICE MANAGER TO RESOVE THE ISSUE AND GET BACK ON THE ROAD.

yellowcvo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 09:52:55 PM »

OK,I took the bike to the shop because of a different noise not same old (ticking) noise. It sounded like it was coming from rear cylinder like a rattling metal sound then a squeal also :nixweiss: when they diagnosed the bike they said they used a listening device and the noise was coming from the clutch.After replacing the clutch and all parts associated for the repair they ran the bike and found the noise coming from the engine.When I asked what it was they said they were going to replace cams,bearings,lifters etc.Service manager said they were going to inspect and see what else they find and do all on one claim so would cost me $50.00.So I am assuming anything that looks bad when they open it up is going to get replaced  :confused5:  .I was expecting to hear that NOT COVERED BY WARRANTY  :nervous: The manager did state they were slow so I guess maybe they are giving themselves work  :nixweiss: or just being thorough they were really good when I had a bunch of cosmetic and tire issues they have torn my engine apart ones already for new cases maybe this time they will give me a whole new engine  :nixweiss: I will be talking to the HD shop on tuesday to see what they have found I will post info after I receive it.I hope this explains my situation a little better for everyone Thank you for input and comments. ;) BTW Dunlop does not warranty cupping on there tires  :o
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 07:51:15 AM by yellowcvo »

yellowcvo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 09:19:14 PM »

:nixweiss:  :confused5: Here are repairs done so far going to bring bike back in for more primary noise. :o

yellowcvo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 09:20:20 PM »

Second page

yellowcvo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 10:05:12 PM »

I took my bike back into the shop today they did not hear noise  :confused5: I road for awhile and the noise has not come back  :nixweiss: Hopefully It stays away so I can stay away from the shop and get some riding in :2vrolijk_21:

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 11:43:18 PM »

Sounds like a happy ending. Noise is gone( bad lifters, right?), repairs covered by ESP, got a new clutch as a bonus. Now hopefully the weather will finally warm up here in the Northeast and you will have a trouble free riding season ahead.
I'm curious, at what mileage did the noise start?
Tom P.

yellowcvo

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 11:53:20 PM »

:huepfenjump3: warm weather and smooth running bike that`s what I`m talking about  :2vrolijk_21: Everything covered under ESP  :cherry: BIKE HAD 28031 MILES when I dropped it off at the shop.I hope it goes longer than that this time the repairs were done with all OEM parts so  :nervous: running strong for now  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 20 queries.