Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Author Topic: HELP! Goldwing Bragging over Harley, Any more AMMO to shut them up?  (Read 24924 times)

Onewheat

This debate is always interesting to read.  So many people get worked up over this topic.  I have ridden both and each had its own merits.  If I was strictly doing long distance touring, I'd be on a Wing for its comfort, reliability and amenities.  It is a great bike.  However, I recently bought a Road King - I ride more locally than long distance - the Wing is a ton of bike for local errands and just cruising around.  I will ride with any kind of bike and I do not require anyone to move to the back.  I wave at all riders whether I am on my CBR900RR or my Road King - I wear a full face helmet on both and I do not own a single shirt that says Harley on it or have any tattoos that say Harley or Honda, nor will I ever have either.  I love riding both of my bikes and my off-road bikes (all Hondas).  I love to RIDE, be it on my Suzuki, Honda, Harley.  I also have a Chevy truck.  Ford sells more trucks than Chevy, but I like mine.  I don't feel the need to justify anything I do to anyone nor do I need anyone to justify their decisions to me.  I will debate motorcycles, cars, trucks, music, politics or any other topic for the sake of debating it, but you are more than entitled to enjoy your country music while I headbang away.  That is why there are different flavors and options, but they are ALL opinions - and I may disagree with all of yours, but that doesn't make you wrong, or me right.  It just means we are different.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Remember, if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand......

napalm

There endeth the lesson.  ;) Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

kerb

• Full CVO Member

It's still fun banter........

You won't see this on a Goldwing

I'd rather ride steel to a HOG rally than plastic to a wing ding.

They stop for ice cream, Harley riders stop for cheeseburgers and beer.

Ok, I am not a religious man but a sight like that makes me say
"God Bless America!"

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8

:nixweiss: Life is full of debates, just pic a topic. It can be a sports team, a NASCAR driver, a beer, redheads or brunettes, boxers or briefs, etc. (notice I avoided politics). Don't worry about what the other fellows are riding or boasting about, just enjoy the camaraderie that riders enjoy, the view is the same regardless of the machine. I have always thought those who are so brand loyal that they develop tunnel vision to be a bit narrow minded in most other areas of their life, a few of my friends who are MOPAR nuts and Georgia Bulldog fans come to mind, but we still tolerate each other, that is what friends do. Enjoy the ride together irregardless of the brand they choose, it beats riding alone.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member

You really can't say too many bad things about a Goldwing. They are consistanly rated the #1 touring bike. But then again I didn't buy a Goldwing I bought a Harely.

I wonder why I did that.

Could it be that a Goldwing simply has no "Cool Factor"? Or is it that I didn't want to ride a Barko Lounger with a stereo and a windshield?

Granted they've got great power but then again: "__________ girls are great until your friends see you riding one".
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

FltruseDave

Ok, without all the chest thumping I will tell you the pros and cons. for a little back ground info. I've owned Honda GoldWings for 17 years. I've owned a 83, 2000 and 2006. Combined the 2000 and 2006 had 70,000 miles and had been back for warranty twice! In 2004 I bought my first Harley, it was a Road Glide which I made into a Ultra classic version. The RG had been back to the dealers (3) to numberous time to remember. It had been back for: electric issues, radio issues, tourpak cracking issues, fogging gauges, low speed death wobble issues, high speed death wobble issues, oil leaks, oil weeps, engine knocking, engine exploding issues. ALL of the issues HD did not want to cover under warranty. After the motor exploded it took 5 weeks of the last dealer arguing with them and a personal phone call from the head mechanic to a higher up buddy to get me a new motor. When the engine was knocking the regional rep told the other TWO dealers to tell me it was normal....

Yes my 04RG had a soul, it was the soul of a crippled up old man in a wheel chair.
After dumping over $45,000 into the bike I finally got it to run correctly to where I was truly happy with it.

I ended up trading it and my 06 Wing on my 2011 CVO RG. I traded the Wing for two reasons. I didn't want a high monthly payment and I was going to wait for the 2012 Wing to come out.

Ok, here are some issues with Gold Wing:
1, you can tell the motor is runnning without looking at the tach or reving it.
2, it only has a 5 speed.
3, st front end is chit just like the Harley. Since the front end is crap and the handle bars are bolted solid if you ride over some heavy bumps they will vibrate right out of your hands.
4, on the 1500 goldwing there was so much frame flex and the plastic fit so tightly and the bike was so quiet the plastic squeeked.
5, Although there are optional accessories, its nothing like HD.You ant truly customize a Gold Wing as much as you can a Harley. Yeah you can bolt on crap and trinkets to make it look different but it will still feel the same as all the others.
6, Lastly, I'm also a MSF RiderCoach. I cal tell you the last problem isn't with the bike but the rider as a whole. GoldWing riders are affraid of dropping their bikes so they dont lean them. Harley riders don't like dragging their floor boards cause they think of the cost. But they will do so.

I will not be buying the 2012 Wing. I dont like how they did the saddle ba and it still only has a 5 speed. I agree with Buy Early. Don't argue, they are both totally different machines and go about doing things differently.

And by the way my Wing didn't have a soul, neither does my 11SERG, they are just both machines. After having a soul in my 04 I don't want a bike with one.

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG

This thread has been very entertaining thus far. It has invoked many thoughts of past conversations and memories of friendly banter. I learned to ride on metric cruisers and currently own a metric for my wife to learn to ride on. The group of folks we ride with have a diverse collection of different makes and models. We like to banter back and forth just for fun. I agree that in No way do I want to deter any one from riding or learning to ride due to comments about what brand they have to ride. That being said when we stop at an HD dealer there's a lot more lust for bikes there than for other brands. I agree people don't come into an HD dealer and ask for the model that looks like the newest metric cruiser. When friends ask me what to buy, we talk about resale and fit. Resale can be tough to pin down, but an 800 page parts catalog is hard to argue with, unfortunately bikes don't come custom fit, but with enough money anything can be fixed. I do like to hear about short falls of all brands because they have them. I have been very happy with my SEUC and encourage folks to buy HD if they can, due to the dealer network. Ultimately everyone needs to weigh the pro's and con's of each brand and buy the one that fits their intended riding style. I'll probably be buying more bikes in the future and will probably buy a BMW or Ducati. I plan to continue to banter with my friends, knowing that I may buy other brands someday.
Supershooter   

roadking71865

• "The Dark Knight"
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: The Dark Knight
    • CVO2: '03 FLHRSEI2 (sold)
    • CVO3: '08 F-250 Diesel
Re: HELP! Goldwing Bragging over Harley, Any more AMMO to shut them up?
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2011, 04:44:57 PM »

It's still fun banter........

You won't see this on a Goldwing

NO YOU WOULDN'T!!!!!
Fullsac B X-pipe
1.75 pwr. cores
Big Sucker A/C
TTS MasterTuner
BAL Tail Light, Motolights
Custom Dynamics LED Turning Lamps
HD LED Headlamp & Passing Lamps
J & M FlexPower AM/FM/WB Antenna
J & M FlexPower CB Antenna
Mini Beast Air Horn, Wheeldock EZ-UP Center Stnd
Kennedy Technology CellSet
External XM SRS Satellite Antenna
HarleyGoodies Floor board extenders
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 440's
Clearview 9.5" windshield
Corbin Dual Tour Heated Seat

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #98 on: October 12, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »

Harley Davidson has tradition  :2vrolijk_21:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #99 on: October 12, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »

Pretty neat photo of old Harley and pinup girl, any more like that?

OlDog

• Full CVO Member
  • The Mistress 4
    • AB

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond crimson tags. Stage one with V&H slip on ovals. Rider backrest.
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2012, 03:16:38 PM »

Virtually every other manufacturer has a knock-off version of a H-D. not the other way 'round. if H-D was so bad why copy it? Jusy Sayin'

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2012, 03:46:19 PM »

Tell them bikes are like girlfriends, while they prefer to have one they can brag how efficient and smart she is; a Harley owner can brag how good looking his is and also point out how she has a great body and big boobs!   ;)
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »

Harley Davidson has tradition  :2vrolijk_21:

That's a great tradition!!   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2012, 04:05:46 PM »

Pretty neat photo of old Harley and pinup girl, any more like that?

Only one I had but am looking for more for the man cave....  :huepfenjump3:
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »

Simple answer... "If you have to explain, they wouldn't understand."
X2
The argument you are having can not be won simply because we can not quantify our feelings.
It is an unrational decision we make to ride these things.
Defies logic really...
That being said, I'm searching for a new touring bike and I have no desire to venture into a Honda store.
I have had this "irrational relationship" since 1990 and I have yet to find(or even search) for a cure!

Brad, still bikeless
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9  All

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 24 queries.